Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

let's have a calm, rational discussion about scholarships for minorities

95 posts in this topic

Posted

Colleges and Universities charge too much but this is a completely different discussion.

Scholarships should be based on a combination of race, demographics, and more importantly income levels.

Posted

The devil is in the details! As you say there are numerous ways to approach the issue. I would definitely leave the development of a merit based selection system to trained professionals not partisan political hacks (like myself). However, I would expect that it would not be radically different from ones most of us are familiar with. A mixture of academic testing and a resume submitted to a board for review. The amount of weight given to each area would be critical to the selection process and would likely vary with the degree being pursued. As a minimum, I would require numeric designators for each candidate to eliminate any potential for discrimination. Information such as name, age, gender ethnic and racial background would be redacted from any documentation reviewed by the selection committee. The committee would also need to be independent, anonymous and cloistered to the maximum extent possible during the review process to prevent tampering. The committee would not communicate as a group or even know who the other members of the board were, at least not initially. If they met as a group, it would only be during the final stages of the selection process, after the majority of candidates had been eliminated, and only if needed to hash out any extremely close final candidate selections. Committee members could be selected from a diverse cross section of esteemed alumni. Minimum of 5 committee members, highest and lowest score would be discarded for each candidate. Head of board would receive all board member inputs. They would forward results to Chancellor's office for final verification and approval. I am sure there is much more to be considered, but this would be a starting point.

I guess my point earlier was that a merit only system could be one in which Asians took home the bulk of the scholarships. One school of thought would be that if they scored the highest, then fine, they deserve it.

As many discussions here have proven, Asians have a very good family unit demographic and therefore school and work ethic are more of a common denominator.

Under a pure merit system, others might not have a high percentage and therefore spiral into the racially charged atmosphere and lawsuits. I was just saying that if Asians for example are 8% of the population, then a set percent of Asians based on their merit will get scholarships.

This is one way to divide scholarships so that each group gets a chance and within the group, can still be rewarded for their efforts. Not totally fair mind you, but then nothing will ever be Utopian about the whole thing.

Posted

academic scholarships should be about rewarding those who are interested in pursuing higher education but cannot afford it.

If you are a valedictorian and you parents make $500k you are not eligible for an academic scholarship...regardless of race.

Posted

academic scholarships should be about rewarding those who are interested in pursuing higher education but cannot afford it.

If you are a valedictorian and you parents make $500k you are not eligible for an academic scholarship...regardless of race.

This is why there are lawsuits. Should not be called academic scholarship if based soley on cash flow.

If you take college scholarships as only a social tool, then I suppose there are poor whites, blacks and so on. You still have the same situation. They cannot go only to poor minorities but all poor.

Posted

I'm biased cause I got one (my parents certainly didn't make 500K, but we weren't high need by any stretch), but some states like SC need to fight to keep smart kids in state and prevent massive brain drain.

Posted

Where do you draw the line?

If your parents make 25k, 50k, 100k, 150, 200k?

We all know how much a college ed costs.

Posted

I couldn't disagree more. If you earned it you earned it.

Should Andrew Luck gotten an athletic scholarship?

Friend of mine got a "full ride" her parents were doctors. Did she not earn it?

Posted

I couldn't disagree more. If you earned it you earned it.

Should Andrew Luck gotten an athletic scholarship?

Friend of mine got a "full ride" her parents were doctors. Did she not earn it?

She earned the opportunity for a college education and she was lucky enough that her parents could afford to send her there. That is all.

There was someone else that could have benefited more from having a "full ride "scholarship than your friend.

Posted

I'm biased cause I got one (my parents certainly didn't make 500K, but we weren't high need by any stretch), but some states like SC need to fight to keep smart kids in state and prevent massive brain drain.

So you would have still gone to college regardless. Not everyone can go to Harvard....there is already a brain drain. Not sure how this would escalate it.

Posted

She earned the opportunity for a college education and she was lucky enough that her parents could afford to send her there. That is all.

There was someone else that could have benefited more from having a "full ride "scholarship than your friend.

What if she didn't want to accept money from her parents?

What if her parents thought that she should pay her way like they did?

Seems just like a democrat to punish the folks that are doing better than others.

I will ask you again, should Andrew Luck have gotten a scholarship?

Posted

They should go to the most qualified candidate regardless of race status or otherwise.....

Posted

According to Panthro...no

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need