Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

let's have a calm, rational discussion about scholarships for minorities

95 posts in this topic

Posted

Remind me: Who was the singer whose son got a full scholarship? We had a thread on that here too.

Posted

What if she didn't want to accept money from her parents?

What if her parents thought that she should pay her way like they did?

Seems just like a democrat to punish the folks that are doing better than others.

I will ask you again, should Andrew Luck have gotten a scholarship?

I can see your point as they are 18 and their income is not necessarily related to their parents. That is the fallacy of my position.

I do like how Georgia provides a college education to all students who perform at a certain level.

Or perhaps there should be some stipulations in return for the scholarship.

If you friend received a full ride from a state institution perhaps they should tie that money to certain responsibilities after graduation.

Posted

They should go to the most qualified candidate regardless of race status or otherwise.....

Well that is just as ridiculous as basing solely on need.

Posted

is the intent of scholarships to reward people for hard work or to provide opportunities for people and lift society at large?

Posted

Providing opportunites for people and lifting society at large doesn't have to be race-based.

Posted

Providing opportunites for people and lifting society at large doesn't have to be race-based.

i didn't say it did... I was curious what people thought.

Posted

It should be based on the household income, not the color of the skin. Individuals are programmed to think someone is black when they hear "underprivileged". There are more whites living in poverty in the south than any other based on the population percentages

Posted

Nope but it should be need based.

This is just another way that republicans want to keep the income gap growing

Posted

i didn't say it did... I was curious what people thought.

Well the answer is yes.

There still can be scholarships that do that in addition to inticing the best/brightest to their university.

Posted

I prefer using the term "targeted scholarships" myself. Doesn't necessarily have to be race based but it has some criteria other than just academics. And in the interest of disclosure, I went to college on a full ride academic scholarship (tuition, room and board, book allowance) and my family couldn't have paid for it otherwise.

Reality: When the scholarship comes from a public university (which means it's coming from the government) adding race as a criteria is going to mean issues. You're always going to wind up with a case where someone's kid meets all the criteria except race, and that's a bad spot. And there's the rightful argument that you don't become "color blind" by considering color.

Money that comes from the university/government should be portioned by as objective a set of criteria as possible. If you're going to consider anything at all in the demographics, the one that'll get the least argument is income. Though there'll be some with issues there too, scholarships based on income are the easiest sell.

(I'm honestly not a big fan of giving scholarship advantages to in-state kids over out-of-state either, though I get why it's done)

But if you still wanna keep some targeted scholarships - and I'd be fine, with that, would encourage it, honestly - maybe the thing to do is privatize them.

There are plenty of businesses, foundations, endowments, and other entities who sponsor educational grants and such. If you want to have scholarships and such that are targeted to race, gender, religion, or whatever, have them be sponsored by private entities. The selection process can still be administered by the school, but the money can be paid and the criteria set by the entity that's sponsoring it.

When the funding comes from a private source, you lessen the "challengability" because a private entity can do whatever it wants with it's money. Government could even encourage this sort of thing by offering tax breaks, though to avoid issues, the tax breaks shouldn't have particular criteria attached (puts you back to square one). Could people still boycott or sue those entities? Yeah, but again, since they're private entities, who's to tell them how they can spend their money?

So in the end, my best suggestion for continuing to offer targeted scholarships would be to privatize them, thus taking the focus off the government but still allowing the school to benefit and administer. Issues to be worked out? Sure, as there are with anything, but I think it could work.

Posted

so is eliminating this scholarship a victory for anyone? is this truly a step towards a colorblind future?