Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

let's have a calm, rational discussion about scholarships for minorities

95 posts in this topic

Posted

i'm very passionate about equal rights and getting rid of injustices. i may take a dif path but doesn't mean i don't care.

So you are pro gay marriage from a legal standpoint?

Posted

yep. equal rights are equal rights.

Posted

yep. equal rights are equal rights.

you voted against amendment one?

Posted

didn't we already cover this? yes.

Posted

I voted for "It's just lunch"

Posted

Colleges and Universities charge too much but this is a completely different discussion.

Scholarships should be based on a combination of race, demographics, and more importantly income levels.

That is not a scholarship....that is a grant.

No problem with need based grants that are based on race, demographics, etc.

If it is an academic scholarship, it should go to the most qualified candidate....regardless if race and gender.

1 person likes this

Posted

If it is an academic scholarship, it should go to the most qualified candidate....regardless if race and gender.

I actually posted this exact sentiment earlier in the thread....

Apparently its ridiculous to think the best candidate should be rewarded for there hard work.

Posted

I posted this earlier but no one responded, but what is the difference between this and scholarships that are established strictly for veterans?

Do you take issue with the fact that a veteran would get an academic scholarship over a more academically qualified civilian?

Not just for you but anyone can take a shot at convincing me what the difference is, and why you don't hear people generally getting upset over these types of scholarships, but minority scholarships are a problem?

Posted

I posted this earlier but no one responded, but what is the difference between this and scholarships that are established strictly for veterans?

Do you take issue with the fact that a veteran would get an academic scholarship over a more academically qualified civilian?

Not just for you but anyone can take a shot at convincing me what the difference is, and why you don't hear people generally getting upset over these types of scholarships, but minority scholarships are a problem?

If scholarships are established for particular races and genders then that is ok. They can be for varied reasons.

However, don't bitch when a scholarship is only applicable to a certain group that you don't agree with.

Posted

citizen of a particular state and economic status. you live in a certain state, you get X dollars. based on your financial status, X and proly Y dollars as well.

if you put your life on the line as a vet and had active combat duty. you get XY and Z dollars.

just reserve and no combat? X dollars.

Posted

Hmmm, hopefully Schollys for vets aren't for only those with certain skin colors?