King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I wonder if people are up in arms about telemundo too

Hell they have a jewish television station. It's about providing a product/service to a segment of the population.

Its only a problem when it benefits blacks. Then its the end of the world.

#62 SteveSmithOwns

SteveSmithOwns

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

KT, I do have a question for you regarding BET and the like. As you may know, there is a website called Black People Meet.com. I don't have a problem with it at all, but i was wondering, if it was turned the other way around, and white people had a website called White People Meet, would you find it racist?

I'm not trying to be a prick, just wanted to find your opinion on the matter.

#63 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Being offended by BET is like being offended by a Mexican restaurant.

#64 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

KT, I do have a question for you regarding BET and the like. As you may know, there is a website called Black People Meet.com. I don't have a problem with it at all, but i was wondering, if it was turned the other way around, and white people had a website called White People Meet, would you find it racist?

I think the major dating sites are already geared toward white people. (Same with TV in general which is why there isn't a need for WET)

#65 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Would not care. There's this misconception that black people would riot over whites creating specialized groups for themselves. There was a guy who started a "whites only basketball league" a few years ago because he hated the NBA and what they represented. He only wanted whites to participate and nobody cared or made a fuss. How does that hurt me? Only time blacks get upset is when you take our money or use us as labor then exclude us. So if my tax money is going to fund public schools and colleges, I want to feel I can be a part of that. If the NFL's labor source is 75% black then there needs to be black representation on the exec level.

Ive never heard of a black person complaining about being excluded from the Klan
Ive never heard of a black person complaining about being excluded from the creativity movement

#66 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

It would be perfectly legal to make a site called white people meet, but I doubt anyone would use it. You can see pics of people before you meet them, so most people are just going to go to a regular dating website and only pick other white people if thats their thing. Though you may get some business in white supremacists

#67 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

http://www.stormfron.../forum/t569187/

Not to mention sites like jdate.com

#68 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,915 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

As long as you don't mislead people who are donating, and you are not using public dollars, I think if you create a scholarship you should be able to reward that scholarship to whoever you want. As long as you disclose your intentions and don't take taxpayer money, you should have that freedom.

As far as basing things on merit, it is true that certain people only gets angry when it involves minorities.

For instance, when was the last time you saw outrage over veterans getting money to go to college from scholarship organizations designed specifically for veterans? Or where is the outrage over special mortgages exclusively for veterans?

Veterans get these types of things not based on "merit" but because they served our country.

I am definitely not saying it is a bad thing. I actually think it is awesome But I have to wonder, what is the difference?

#69 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Interested to know how the demographics example is self serving?

#70 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

A great deal of the money for public universities' scholarship funds come from private donations, often with stipulations. So public money is not always public money

#71 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,002 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

when we say outrage over minorities getting scholarships what are we saying? is that from groups or individuals or some kind of campaign or talk radio?

maybe i have my head down for work and don't hear about all of this.

#72 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Whatever happened to Hannidate?

#73 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I don't really feel like reading thru this entire thread, so I will just say that private foundations or private colleges should be able to fund and distribute scholarships as they please within reason.

Scholarships that are funded with public money probably shouldn't be race based. I would be ok with a mixture of merit based and need based, and this is one area that I think a quota system would be ok.

#74 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,694 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

rememeber that this entire argument, to be taken in its proper context, must be juxtaposed against the history of race relations in the united states and the economic and educational disparity remaining as a legacy of centuries of institutionalized racism. the question at hand is ultimately one of how social justice is arbitrated... should society collectively move towards racial egalitarianism as it relates to those factors, or are we looking at things diachronically and justifying things based on the legal system in this moment in time?

in other words should society as a whole be making necessary sacrifices of fairness in the micro-scale - like this scholarship - to achieve an overall equal society in the marco scale, or is the past the past and things are just the way they are and we should simply move forward as if society is and always has been equal?

this is the question i pull out of the debate, and it's fundamental to many other societal conflicts.

#75 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,002 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

the past is the past, however,that doesn't mean the future can't be significantly better than the past.

also, i don't think making sacrifices(maybe concessions is a better word) is necessary in the name of fairness. doing what is right by the person on an individual basis is where you stay out of the weeds.
when you try a blanket approach it almost always has unintended consequences. from my exp in the corporate world, this is where all your issues stem from. be it racial, political or gender.

more minorities than ever are doing well if not extremely exceptional by previous generation standards. that doesn't mean you stop whats being going on. almost like someone who stops taking their medications because they feel better. continue on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com