Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Who is the Panthers biggest draft bust?

81 posts in this topic

Eh, he was only a bust by his own choice to me, though. Never stayed in shape. 08, he was considered one of, if not THE, best young RTs in the game. Then he got lazy, which lead to injuries, which lead to not caring, which lead to him being shipped out of here.

When I think "bust", I'm thinking "never lived up to the hype". Clausen has been covered earlier in the thread (we all agree he was a bust).

Jarrett was drawing REALLY heavy comparisons to some big names like Keyshawn. He had me all kinds of excited. He just never showed up at this level.

Everette Brown had flashes, but same story as Jarrett.

He was only a bust "by his own choice?" Meaning he lacked the desire to play football, which means he had serious intangible issues that Hurney failed to identify. So is JaMarcus Russell a bust in your eyes, or was it just "his own choice?"

It's hard to pick just one but Everette Brown and Jason Peter have to be near the top of the list.

Jeff Otah.

He was only a bust "by his own choice?" Meaning he lacked the desire to play football, which means he had serious intangible issues that Hurney failed to identify. So is JaMarcus Russell a bust in your eyes, or was it just "his own choice?"

Russell might have been able to be decent had he had the work ethic for the NFL level. We will never know. I'm saying, when I hear "bust", I hear "didn't have the ability to perform the game, despite the hype that they did". Otah had the ability, but lacked the work ethic. So, while he didn't pan out, it wasn't because he wasn't as good as advertised as a player at his position, it was because he wasn't as hard a worker as needed.

Marty Hurney

Russell might have been able to be decent had he had the work ethic for the NFL level. We will never know. I'm saying, when I hear "bust", I hear "didn't have the ability to perform the game, despite the hype that they did". Otah had the ability, but lacked the work ethic. So, while he didn't pan out, it wasn't because he wasn't as good as advertised as a player at his position, it was because he wasn't as hard a worker as needed.

Russell was a bust when on the field....Otah dominated most of the time when on the field. That is a noted difference.

Every 2nd round pick from the Hurney era excluding Kalil. Hopefully Amini has something to add to the exclusions list, but too early to tell.

Otah was atleast good when he played

Eric Shelton

this.....right behind rae carruth.

colin branch

guy was touted as the next ed reed coming out. what a crock of poo

Carruth and its not even close.

From there you have some good candidates like Jason Peter,Everette Brown,Rashard Anderson.

Or how about the Sean Gilbert disaster.

2 First round picks and a fatass contract to boot. They werent just any 2 first round picks either 5th overall in 99 and 12th in 2000.

This quote from Dom Capers sums it up pretty well.

"Sometimes you get in a desperate situation and you don't ever want to be in a desperate situation. You make decisions based on the fact that you don't have anybody in a position as opposed to being able to sit back and make long-term decisions that you think would be best for the organization." But Capers quickly realized he had sacrificed too much of Carolina's future for Gilbert. "There was a lot of discussion on that and my initial reaction was that it was too much," he said.