Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just spent the last hour calculating how many people are in hell according to establishment christian theology

124 posts in this topic

Posted

Also wanted to add that, and I hope nobody's mentioned it yet, the modern Christian concept of Hell is basically just an invention by the church to use as just another method of personal control.

Posted

If there was a God and he decided some would go to hell, then is he no longer God?

Posted

Why does god always have to be a he?

Posted

I think there are tons and tons of Christians who are so far off in their belief system. They surely get caught up in right and wrong according to their beliefs. They stress how you look, speak, how often you attend church, if you drink a beer, and on and on with the "test" for THEIR approval. They also will tell you how old the earth is, when the world will end, and even try to predict how many "true" beleivers there are. As far as Christianity, this is not time well spent. They are as Pstall said, closer to the Pharisees and zealots who killed Jesus. If, you try to follow their wrong thinking, you will have a field day, but not sure you will get any answers there.

Posted

Also wanted to add that, and I hope nobody's mentioned it yet, the modern Christian concept of Hell is basically just an invention by the church to use as just another method of personal control.

this has been said many times already, you come up with this, what doctrine does this follow? what evidence do you have to support it?

Posted

Lots of cultures spoke of an underworld for the dead. Dante, among others, perpetuated the idea of it being a place of torment.

"Hell" is a poor translation of Hebrew words in the first place.

The only reference that even pops into my head at the moment that even resembles a modern concoction of a place of eternal torment is "lake of fire" in Revelation, which, like most of the NT, is a bunch of cherry-picked shock-value fiction...

Posted

What will help a person make more of an impact on the present time in which we live? Knowing how old the earth is or following Jesus?

No question cultures pre date christianity. Jesus of course wasn't called a christian. The term christian meant "little christs". The way the people lived was obvious to others, thus being called christians.

Nobody will know by looking at you, your knowledge of anything, but what you do and how you treat others. It will stand out.

No matter the # dead in the past means much for you or me or others in the future.

I'm sorry. Its been reduced to a cliche but its true. What would Jesus do?

Posted

So basically everyone gets to make up their own version of an infallible, omnipotent being to devote their entire life to.

Posted

if the number was generously reduced to one billion people, reflecting the most lax, liberal theological understanding of salvation requirements one could imagine, would that negate the point behind the post?

What was the point in the first post? If one billion people are in Hell, it's because that is what they desired. Hell is seperation from God, it's the only place where you can truly be seperate from Him. If you don't want to have relationship with Him, that is where you would want to go.

Posted

Why does god always have to be a he?

He is also a gender neutral term. If you are referring to a person who has no gender, you would use he in reference to that person. God is not a man (though He became a man in Jesus) or a woman, so God is gender neutral.

Posted

I still have yet to hear an explanation on how modern religious folk can just disregard cultures that predate the ones that created their religions by thousands of years.

Also, how modern religions explain that every single story in their dogma is plagiarized from earlier written works from other cultures.

Posted

What was the point in the first post? If one billion people are in Hell, it's because that is what they desired. Hell is seperation from God, it's the only place where you can truly be seperate from Him. If you don't want to have relationship with Him, that is where you would want to go.

f8bb11b46d1e5f9205d711295d2545e5_zpsad05f836.jpg