Photo
- - - - -

I just spent the last hour calculating how many people are in hell according to establishment christian theology

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#16 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,778 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I don't know, man... Everyone knows John 3:16. Doesn't it say something about not perishing? I'm pretty sure it doesn't mention eternal torment. Im pretty sure there's something in ecclestiastes about non-Christian souls dying and being forgotten.

#17 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

evangelical christianity is all about weilding wailing and gnashing of teeth in the fires of gehenna if you don't follow whatever the current understanding of the salvation process is. it underpins it i'd say, despite more recent attempts to sweep it under the rug and only admit it as a foundational doctrine if someone presses

#18 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 9,778 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Not every Christian is a southern Baptist or Catholic. But cool broad brush, bro.

#19 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,293 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Now calculate how many people I've told to go to hell....

pssst its more

#20 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,311 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

yeah there is a wee bit of southern baptisty type going on. the church i have gone to for close to 20 yrs now has not once gone into hellfire and damnation mode.

God's love, redemption, forgiveness is a much better carrot.

#21 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

can we volunteer a couple of huddlers to go to hell to confirm your calculations Philly?

#22 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

most evangelical churches don't go the fire-and-brimstone route anymore, but it's still a foundational church doctrine.

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Do you think hell is in operation at this point or saved for the future?

#24 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

beats me. guys like rob bell suggest its metaphorical rather than literal. i think spong says the same thing

#25 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Not crazy about Spong.

Some beleive the true "hell" is operational, so to speak in the end when Satan and his group are placed there.

#26 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,311 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

rob bell has some interesting takes of scriptures.

some think all who died remain at the bosom of abraham and at the end, they then go up for judgment.

so hard to say and i think the best path to take is just focus on Jesus. what did he do and how did he help people? you do that,you are going to do a pretty solid job of making a great impact without being a total jerk.

#27 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

so hard to say and i think the best path to take is just focus on Jesus. what did he do and how did he help people? you do that,you are going to do a pretty solid job of making a great impact without being a total jerk.

qft, though i think most christians would disagree with your underemphasis of rigid theology

@ stirs, re: spong i've only read jesus for the non-religious, so i can't really claim a full understanding of his belief system but it's pretty attractive to me as it provides a synthesis between modern understanding of the world and the original texts, which is antithetical to the theologies that insist on literal understandings of late paleolithic framework

#28 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,311 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

and you'd be wrong. just because the conclusion you currently have about modern christianity is what you think, it by no means it applies to so many.

look at your circle of friends who call themselves christians and i'm fairly certain there will be a few underlying common themes.

#29 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

and you'd be wrong. just because the conclusion you currently have about modern christianity is what you think, it by no means it applies to so many.

look at your circle of friends who call themselves christians and i'm fairly certain there will be a few underlying common themes.

i'm not saying all, i'm saying establishment christian theology, which i've defined as the tenets that underpin the evangelical movement (namely the doctrine of hell and salvation by grace through faith in the death and ressurection of jesus christ)

theologies that attempt to redefine the dynamic of hell doctrines are routinely rejected as "liberal" theology or some sort of apostacy.

#30 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,311 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

that's better. no i get what you are saying and i have been knee deep in that battle for 15 years now.

too many churches are fixted on theology as opposed to following Jesus. that is where people get in trouble and where religion becomes bigger than God.

it can be a double edge sword. you don't want to make it impossible for people to become a christian and you don't want it to be so watered down anyone can be.

what's interesting is this topic and what you said awhile back about buying land etc, goes right along with alot of my friends who want to do the same thing. sort of the immerging church thing.

someone needs to break down the walls of denominations. those factions and cliques do more harm than good and I'm pretty sure Jesus would be shaking his head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.