Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gallagher

Once Gamble is Cut, Cornerback Becomes Our Biggest Need

65 posts in this topic

We won games late in the season because the D-Line came on like crazy, and more importantly because we moved away from the read option and back to a more traditional pro-style offense.

We did not win more games later in the season because Chris Gamble got injured, or because of the play of our secondary.

But with us being $11 Million over the cap, I am pretty sure Gettleman is going to cut Gamble and a few others.

This team has more important holes to fill, I just hope Dockery, Norman and Thomas can step up and fill that hole.

But DT, OL and WR are more important holes that need to be fielded 1st. These positions are more important then a CB....

But with us being $11 Million over the cap, I am pretty sure Gettleman is going to cut Gamble and a few others.

This team has more important holes to fill, I just hope Dockery, Norman and Thomas can step up and fill that hole.

But DT, OL and WR are more important holes that need to be fielded 1st. These positions are more important then a CB....

Agreed on DL and OL, but I would put CB (or even FS) as a higher priority than WR. I guess I just don't have the same faith that Dockery, Norman and Thomas can step up.

What if we cut gamble and then resigned him for cheaper than what he was making before obviously gamble would have to take a hometown discount to stay but would he make more than we offer him? He's almost 30 and has been on ir 2 of the last 3 seasons

i didn't say he wasn't good.

i just said he wouldn't be missed. we haven't done worse when he was on the sidelines. we haven't done better when he was on the field. we've always compensated when he wasn't on the field fairly well.

he just hasn't been a what you'd call a vital or integral part of what goes on.

gamble is a player we can move away from and barely notice. he's not a difference maker. we're not any better or worse of because of him being on or off the field.

it's not any more of a need than it was before.

He was a difference maker when he was healthy.

But yeah, over the past few years, we've kind of had to learn to live without him.

It won't be quite as big a transition as it might have been a few years ago.

Agreed on DL and OL, but I would put CB (or even FS) as a higher priority than WR. I guess I just don't have the same faith that Dockery, Norman and Thomas can step up.

Difference of opinion, but it's going to make for a lot of great discussions after the draft that is for sure. Would i be mad if we drafted a CB in the first round? Really depends on who is left on the board. But one thing is certain, you do not want to draft by need. Take BPA.

He was a difference maker when he was healthy.

But yeah, over the past few years, we've kind of had to learn to live without him.

It won't be quite as big a transition as it might have been a few years ago.

agreed.

when we've been without him it wasn't all that painful, either.

for as good as he is we should have noticed more when he was on or off the field, but we haven't.

last year we did better when he was gone. not that he was the problem, just that it certainly didn't hurt when he got put on IR.

we're better without him, but not that much better...esp. not worth anywhere close to the amount of money he's supposed to get.

I'm with you on this one Gallagher. When Gamble is cut, and potentially Captain, this secondary is going to be very inexperienced, unproven and raw. Their deficiencies were hidden towards the end of last season because our defensive front was able to get consistent pressure for the most part.

Without Gamble and Captain, arguably the best and most experienced person in the secondary is Charles Godfrey. I'm in favor of bringing in an solid and proven starter in this league via free agency because somebody needs to lead that unit. If not, I'd like to see address corner in the second if Milliner doesn't fall.

Are you really comfortable with the likes of Josh Thomas, James Dockery, and Josh Norman taking on the likes of Roddy White, Julio Jones, Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and Marques Colston twice a year? No thank you. I want a big physical corner that can cover and could care less if it comes from free agency or the draft.

1 person likes this

if gamble is cut, we won't be releasing capt.

we won't be without the both of them without someone else with experience brought in.

Amerson in the third?

Amerson will play free safety in the NFL.

And we do not have a third round pick lol...

Are you really comfortable with the likes of Josh Thomas, James Dockery, and Josh Norman taking on the likes of Roddy White, Julio Jones, Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and Marques Colston twice a year?

I don't feel comfortable with any player on any team covering those guys.