Photo
- - - - -

How Likely is it the Panthers Trade Down in the Draft?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Gettleman came from a team that BPA'd JPP at 15, even when they had Osi, Kiwinuka and Tuck. Unless he gets a great deal, he'll just stay put and pull the trigger imo.

And there are a lot of DEs in this draft.

#17 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

What no one is talking about is exactly who is going to trade up to get that instant starter at 14. This isn't like last year where you had a number of talented quarterbacks or a Julio Jones who Atlanta is willing to trade up 21 spots to get. Unless a D linemen who is projected as a top 10 falls to us, no one is going to give us any thing for that pick. And if a top 10 D linemen falls to us at 14, I suspect we will be the one pulling the trigger and keeping them ourselves.

Just off the top of my head, Seattle and Star/Dion Jordan/etc. They have enough darn draft picks to draft into the top-10 but I can totally see them moving up for one of the Carrell-types in the draft.

#18 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Just off the top of my head, Seattle and Star/Dion Jordan/etc. They have enough darn draft picks to draft into the top-10 but I can totally see them moving up for one of the Carrell-types in the draft.

It would be nice to have some options if we wanted to trade down, still I doubt we could get much to make it worth our while. After all a team who is looking to move up would be just as interested in the 15th place versus the 14th. If we ask too much, they just move on to the next guy. Sooner or later someone takes the offer as they move closer to their natural position.

#19 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think the consensus among most teams is that you'll get the same quality player between 10 and 30 this
year. That said, there's no reason for a team to trade up to 14 unless there is one player that they really
want.....don't see anyone worth giving up that 2nd.

we can always hope though.

#20 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

i want to have Ronda Rousey's children

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

About as likely as getting struck by lightening while being eaten by a great white shark while winning the lottery. Not very.

#21 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Well first we need someone willing to trade up lol. Who in this draft is worthy of that action?

#22 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Our best hope for a team trading us their picks for #14 is if Hurney gets hired somewhere and there's a longshot project he can trade up for.

#23 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I would love us to trade down (for good value obv). We have enough raw star power on this team to be a contender, we just need a handful of QUALITY starters at some positions and need much better depth all over.

Trading down could allow us to address dt, safety, wr and oline all in the first 3 rounds.

#24 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

What no one is talking about is exactly who is going to trade up to get that instant starter at 14. This isn't like last year where you had a number of talented quarterbacks or a Julio Jones who Atlanta is willing to trade up 21 spots to get. Unless a D linemen who is projected as a top 10 falls to us, no one is going to give us any thing for that pick. And if a top 10 D linemen falls to us at 14, I suspect we will be the one pulling the trigger and keeping them ourselves.

If three or four offensive linemen go in the top 10 which is likely, some of the defensive line prospects that are now projected there will fall to us and may not be the best fit for a 4-3. I could see some of the 3-4 teams behind us moving up to get in front of the Saints who are switching to that scheme.

#25 Thorrez

Thorrez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Why would anyone want to trade up?

Because there is a stud player on a level higher than anyone else left.

Problem is, if that player is not a QB or LB we need him a lot more than an extra pick in the 3rd/4th area.

So I say very close to none chance.

#26 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,490 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I doubt this year they try to trade out of that spot.

#27 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

have read that there is a LOT of value in the 2nd and 3rd round. would be smart to drop back several spots, since the top three OT's and DT's will probably be gone.

Drop back to around 20 for instance, take the OG Cooper, then DT in second, WR or CB in third and forth.

safety in FA

#28 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

If three or four offensive linemen go in the top 10 which is likely, some of the defensive line prospects that are now projected there will fall to us and may not be the best fit for a 4-3. I could see some of the 3-4 teams behind us moving up to get in front of the Saints who are switching to that scheme.

Wishful thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.