104 replies to this topic

#76 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,896 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

So you think he can be a number 1 wr for a team?

Not likely, but he is not just a slot reciever.

#77 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

So you think he can be a number 1 wr for a team?

A lot of people on this board didnt think Smitty was a #1 WR either.

#78 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

looks like Percy Harvin wit Smittys attitude/chip

Outside of being short, how do they look anything alike?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Austin is 5'8, 174lbs. Harvin is 5'11, 194lbs. He is extremely strong.

It is like when people used to try and compare DeSean/Smith. Smith is very, very strong for his stature. He'll run through you while DeSean prfers to run around. Which isn't a negative by the way; it is just how they play. Same with Austin/Harvin. Harvin will run through you. Austin will prefer to shake and bake you.

If you've watched them play, I don't see how you can compare Austin/Harvin. And while you weren't comparing their playstyles, they aren't built the same way. Two different players.

#79 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

On topic... I think Austin is going to be a very good player in the NFL. But people are a tad bit overrating him if you take him this high because he's still not one of the 3 best receivers in this draft. Woods proved at the combine that he is, by far, the best technician in this draft and has some very good athleticism to boot. Justin Hunter is a beast. Then you have Patterson who I'd take over Austin as well.

As for where he stands in the NFL, people shouldn't take it as a negative when people say, "he is a slot receiver." There is nothing wrong with that as someone pointed out earlier; Cruz and Welker both play predominantly from the slot. It is a very valuable position nowadays in the NFL. So that is exactly what Austin is, or should be. A slot receiver. I think he could be a solid outside receiver but it wouldn't be making the best use of him. You can't even compare him to DeSean because at least DeSean is 5'10. Austin is 5'8. It'd be best for him to be used in the slot.

I do like NFL.com's comparison for him... Randall Cobb, who also plays mainly in the slot (but I do think he could make for a solid outside receiver if given the opportunity).

#80 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Posted Image

#81 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Not likely, but he is not just a slot reciever.

Well I don't see him lining up on the outside much going against bigger stronger CB. So his best fit in any scheme is the slot.

#82 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Trindon Holiday ran a 4.29. just saying, speed alone does not a good wide receiver make.

#83 stratopanther

stratopanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCentral VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Cool 40 time but i saw the dude do the nakamura spin and miss a perfectly thrown ball during one of the workouts. Let the Raiders get him.

#84 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I am would like to point out again that Smiths fire and his vertical allow him to play bigger than he is....

Austins vertical is 6-7 inches less than smittys he wont be able to play the high ball like smitty.

#85 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,896 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well I don't see him lining up on the outside much going against bigger stronger CB. So his best fit in any scheme is the slot.

I just meant his versatility. As PR/KR, putting him in the backfield, putting him out wide for bubble screens, those kinds of things. But yea, i don't think he has the size to be a number 1, although who really knows at this point.

#86 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

I just meant his versatility. As PR/KR, putting him in the backfield, putting him out wide for bubble screens, those kinds of things. But yea, i don't think he has the size to be a number 1, although who really knows at this point.

To your point, he may or may not have the size to be the true prototypical WR1, but ultimately should that be the litmus test that we use to get him (and this question is for everyone)? Is D-Jax a true WR1, or is he that play-maker that must be accounted for alongside other more prototypical big-bodied WRs. I mean, D-Jax scares the poo out of you, as does Harvin, or a Victor Cruz. I could argue that none of them are true WR1s in the purest sense of the word, but I'll be damned if they can't play like one.

Austin surely would make our offense more dynamic, but all this being said I still don't know if I'd pick him with another top player of need available on the board.

#87 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Cam + high throws / short receiver * mediocre vertical = someone other than tavon austin.

#88 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Picking up Austin would likely put Joe Adams on notice (particularly if Tyrann Mathieu is available in the 4th). I said it once before, if we do get a WR in the draft or FA, especially one that can return, Adams is going to be on the bubble. Maybe he takes AE's spot.

#89 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,896 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

To your point, he may or may not have the size to be the true prototypical WR1, but ultimately should that be the litmus test that we use to get him (and this question is for everyone)? Is D-Jax a true WR1, or is he that play-maker that must be accounted for alongside other more prototypical big-bodied WRs. I mean, D-Jax scares the poo out of you, as does Harvin, or a Victor Cruz. I could argue that none of them are true WR1s in the purest sense of the word, but I'll be damned if they can't play like one.

Austin surely would make our offense more dynamic, but all this being said I still don't know if I'd pick him with another top player of need available on the board.

I agree, but like you said those guys have "other more prototypical big bodied WRs." We kind of don't. I would like for us to draft that deep threat like Smitty. But we didn't know what we had in Smitty at his height, so I would like to draft that prototypical. But I would absolutely not be mad if we drafted this guy. I just want that big bodied vertical threat.

#90 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

yeah the small speedy wr need pin point accurate passers like brady...newton needs calvin johnson.

now newton can be accurate but at this time hes not the most accurate guy all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com