#91 MCCNASTY

MCCNASTY

Smackalicious

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • LocationClose, Very Close

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Being a WVU fan ive watched Tavon Austin develop as a player. Ive been saying it for years that he is Steve Smith reborn and even better! And Smitty is my favorite player! For those of you who dont know or want to know go to youtube and and watch some of this seasons highlights. Almost everytime he touched the ball was a highlight. WVU doesnt get the national attention others do and neither did Austin. Whoever gets him will be getting a monster!

#92 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,712 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

20' are a tad high for him. He's a slot wr.

Far from just that.

He has an Eric Metcalf / Reggie Bush / Percy Harvin type skill set, meaning you can use him in multiple ways (receiver, runningback, return guy) as a difference maker.

He's projected by many to go 29th to the Patriots (higher in some spots). Were we to trade down, I'd be fine with him anywhere in the 20s.

#93 CaliPanthers

CaliPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

1. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: After slowing elite timed speed running a mid 4.3’s 40, Austin followed it up with an outstanding all around workout. He ran polished routes displaying efficiency and looked professional. Sudden and explosive in his movements, Austin consistently displayed a burst out of his cuts. Plucking the ball cleanly with his hands, Austin showed strong and natural hands. Two NFL scouts we spoke to said that after today’s workout combined with his on-field play at West Virginia that Austin warrants a top 10 selection.

http://www.nationalf...at-Combine.html

Looks like he is getting some top 10 love. Im very intrigued drafting Austin at 14.

#94 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

http://www.nationalf...at-Combine.html

Looks like he is getting some top 10 love. Im very intrigued drafting Austin at 14.

If that's the truth then I'd say its fairly likely that either Patterson, Austin, or both are still available at 14. If both go top 10 or ahead of us along with the three or four offensive line prospects as expected than a great player will likely be available at our selection.

#95 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

yeah the small speedy wr need pin point accurate passers like brady...newton needs calvin johnson.

now newton can be accurate but at this time hes not the most accurate guy all the time.

I don't agree with Skye ever but this is a great point on this debate. Cam will work better with bigger targets with larger catch radiuses that Austin can't provide.

#96 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I don't agree with Skye ever but this is a great point on this debate. Cam will work better with bigger targets with larger catch radiuses that Austin can't provide.

I cant believe im saying this but I agree with Luke, Austin is going to need an extremely accurate QB. not saying that cam isnt accurate but im talking Brees and Peyton type precesion. the larger the radius the better for Cam especially till he continues to improve his accuracy

#97 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Tavon Austin is gonna be a great player, but Cam needs a big redzone target. He is already throwing to a receiver thats 5'9. Matt Ryan is a very accurate QB but he never has to be anything close to that because he has big targets all over the field. It would help if they gave Cam one to make his job easier, his passing TD numbers would go up too.

#98 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I would take the Luke approach to Tavon like i did last year, not totally agree with the pick but wouldn't be upset if we drafted him because i know he is gonna be good.

#99 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,085 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

NO

#100 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Far from just that.

He has an Eric Metcalf / Reggie Bush / Percy Harvin type skill set, meaning you can use him in multiple ways (receiver, runningback, return guy) as a difference maker.

He's projected by many to go 29th to the Patriots (higher in some spots). Were we to trade down, I'd be fine with him anywhere in the 20s.

agreed. i love multi-dimensional players like that. they always give defenses headaches if used properly and always have to be accounted for. always ties up extra defensive players and can really open things up for other players to add to just how effective they can be in multiple ways.

#101 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Exactly. I'd so love to get this guy along with Patterson or someone else, whether that's even remotely likely or not, we'd be set in WR's for years, after Smitty retires or is injured.

Don't think I'd want him over some other options in the draft, but I would definately love to have him

#102 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Although the more videos I watch, the more awesome he is.

Fug it, I'd take him

#103 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,877 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Tavon Austin is gonna be a great player, but Cam needs a big redzone target. He is already throwing to a receiver thats 5'9. Matt Ryan is a very accurate QB but he never has to be anything close to that because he has big targets all over the field. It would help if they gave Cam one to make his job easier, his passing TD numbers would go up too.

an arguement could be made he needs someone to help move the chains more than a redzone target. Carolina has been one of the better redzone teams in the NFL under Cam. Getting there, often seems to be issue.

#104 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Smitty will be our tavon austin in the slot once we find a number 1 WR. i believe smitty could play as long as Gonzalez if we could move him to the slot

#105 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

an arguement could be made he needs someone to help move the chains more than a redzone target. Carolina has been one of the better redzone teams in the NFL under Cam. Getting there, often seems to be issue.

I don't know what team your talking about because I think it's the other way around. This team (special) early in the season has problems in the red Zone more then from 20 to 20. I think more then a few games where if we scored TD all the time we were in the red zone we would have won. Examples Seattle , Chicago, Dallas and the first Tampa Game.

Plain and simple when Cam is off he is off High. A bigger WR with a big catch radius is more help to CAM then another short Gimmick player that you have to make plays to give him the ball. We all screamed that Chud needed to get back to the Basics and stop trying to trick everybody with gimmick plays. Plus unless we are done with Adams and Pilaris we already have this type player on the roster and we didn't have to use a top 15 pick to get him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.