#1 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

This WR group is getting more interesting by the day. We know both Gettleman and Rivera stressed the need for playmakers so I'm sure we're taking a look at most of them.

Below I've made a list of the top-10 or so of the wideout class. At first, you'd have to imagine at least 2 from the top two tiers will be available by the time we pick in the 2nd but it may not be so. The bottom line: If Patterson is gone by the time we pick #14, a lot can happen before #44. So, who will realistically still be available? Let's look at the crop from my perspective (3 tiers):

Cordarrelle Patterson x
Tavon Austin x

Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
DeAndre Hopkins
Terrance Williams
Quinton Patton

Markus Wheaton
Robert Woods
Marquise Goodwin
Da'Rick Rodgers
Cobi Hamilton
Stedman Bailey

Now consider the teams that could need a WR between our picks: (R1) Texans, Seahawks, Vikings, Steelers, Patriots (R2) Cardinals, Bills, Jets...that's at least 8 teams off the top of my head that could use a WR at the top of the draft and I could list a few more.

A few questions:

Who could realistically be available in the 2nd round? Who's gonna actually be there from that middle-tier above?, because I think they could all be gone. Ideally, I'd love to see someone from that group being drafted by us in the 2nd.

Right now, I think Allen and Hunter are definitely gone. Possibly Patton, Hopkins and T-Will. So where does the talent really drop off to where we are better just waiting because our BPA could very well be at another position like Philip Thomas, Bakhtiari, or Brandon Williams? You have the likes of Vernon/Fuller/Stills/King later in the 4th.

So, would anyone beyond the top-7 be worth it in the 2nd? or are we better off waiting?

#2 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I really would not mind taking Patterson at 14, then Rambo with our second pick, rest of the draft go BPA

#3 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I really would not mind taking Patterson at 14, then Rambo with our second pick, rest of the draft go BPA

I was posting this under the impression Patterson would be gone which is quite likely imo.

#4 JonathanGerald2022

JonathanGerald2022

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think we should take Travon Austin with our 14th pick if Patterson isn't there because our team drafts by bast available player and I think at the time Travon wull be at the top but if we dont take him in the first then we should take Robert Woods

#5 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Can anyone here read or type?

#6 JonathanGerald2022

JonathanGerald2022

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Best available player**

#7 JonathanGerald2022

JonathanGerald2022

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Travon will be on the board went the panthers pick and I'm foreshore

#8 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I was posting this under the impression Patterson would be gone which is quite likely imo.

If that's the case then yes I'd be much more inclined to wait till the second to take a receiver than reach in the first

#9 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

If that's the case then yes I'd be much more inclined to wait till the second to take a receiver than reach in the first

Again, not the point of my post, that was the given going into it.

There are 30 spots between our picks. The 2nd round names people keep throwing around could ALL potentially be gone. So at what point are we better off waiting until the later rounds if the top guys go before 44? There's a lot of WR needy teams between our picks.

#10 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Again, not the point of my post, that was the given going into it.

There are 30 spots between our picks. The 2nd round names people keep throwing around could ALL potentially be gone. So at what point are we better off waiting until the later rounds if the top guys go before 44? There's a lot of WR needy teams between our picks.

so you listed 8 teams that need a receiver and think because of that all of them will draft one? Yes there is always the potential that none of those 2nd tier are receivers are there by our pick, but statistics and previous drafts dictate that there will likely be 3 or 4 of those to choose from

also I doubt Austin is going before 14, a fast 40 time doesn't mean that much unless you're al davis

#11 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

so you listed 8 teams that need a receiver and think because of that all of them will draft one? Yes there is always the potential that none of those 2nd tier are receivers are there by our pick, but statistics and previous drafts dictate that there will likely be 3 or 4 of those to choose from

I listed teams that could potentially take one for added perspective. I'm assuming Austin will have no chance in hell being there in round 2. I'm asking at what point does the class drop off to where you wouldn't take from the crop available in round 2. It's rather open ended.

#12 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Id be ok with woods in the second.

#13 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Da'Rick Rogers and DeAndre Hopkins will probably be the only two good receivers available for us in the second round. If that is the case (unless we trade our first round pick and pick up an earlier second), we should draft Rambo in the second, and draft receiver in the later rounds.

#14 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

We are not drafting Austin, panthers need to get bigger and faster at receiver. Not smaller, we have already got smaller fast receivers that can develop.

#15 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,307 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Patterson and Keenan are the only two receivers worthy at 14. If Patterson is gone, I personally would go with Floyd, Vaccaro, Richardson, or Jesse at 14.

Hopkins, Rogers, Hunter, Twill, Patton, and Woods are worth it at 44. If not, I'd go with Eifert or Ertz if either one of them fell that far. After those guys, I'd go BPA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com