Photo
- - - - -

Does the 40 yard dash time really matter when it comes to a wide receiver in the nfl?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

his name is Alshon Jeffery. #17 WR; 6' 3", 216 lbs

Is it? I thought a Clemson fan told me his name was Fatty McFatterson.

#17 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,837 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Though, it does matter some, even for LBr's:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100800608121816

#18 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Does it matter? Of course it does. Should it be a deciding factor in taking a guy or not?? Not really. If there were questions about a guy's ability to separate, their ability to stretch the field or their ability to get in and out of breaks then quickness and speed are concerns and things like a 3 cone drill or 40 yard dash can illuminate those issues. But should it be the determining issue to draft him? Of course not. It is one piece of the puzzle among a large body of work for most players.

#19 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Does it matter? Of course it does. Should it be a deciding factor in taking a guy or not?? Not really. If there were questions about a guy's ability to separate, their ability to stretch the field or their ability to get in and out of breaks then quickness and speed are concerns and things like a 3 cone drill or 400 yard dash can illuminate those issues. But should it be the determining issue to draft him? Of course not. It is one piece of the puzzle among a large body of work for most players.

Geez! A 400 yard dash would be exhausting!! ;)

#20 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

the entire combine doesnt matter, teams already have film on the players they are looking at.

#21 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Here's how the read 40 times, if the guy is fast without pads on he can still be fast with them on, but if he's slow without pads though he will Be even slower with them on

#22 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

the only thing the combine is really useful for is giving teams a reason to look at your tape and hopefully swing you an interview you might not otherwise have had.

that's really the only thing a 40 time is used for. players at the top shouldn't really be effected one way or the other due to any performance at the combine.

#23 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

the only thing the combine is really useful for is giving teams a reason to look at your tape and hopefully swing you an interview you might not otherwise have had.

that's really the only thing a 40 time is used for. players at the top shouldn't really be effected one way or the other due to any performance at the combine.

exactly. its just a hey look at me event.

#24 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Haven't read the thread at all, but here is my .02 anyway.

To me, 10 yard dash time is the MOST important. Need a guy who can get off the line in a hurry and accelerate. Also, vertical is important, not just for jumping either. A good vert, and broad jump as well, indicate explosiveness in the hips and thighs, where all the lower body power is generated. That means acceleration improves. 40 time is a good indicator of deep ball threats, but really, most corners dont run better than a 4.4 or 4.5 anyway, so you don't need a guy who slowly accelerates over 40 yards. You need a guy who can get up and go as soon as the ball is snapped.

#25 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Geez! A 400 yard dash would be exhausting!! ;)

I ran the 400 meter race in track in high school. It was a long race given you had to sprint the whole way (or at least try to). I hated the mile and wasn't fast enough for the 100 meters so I did intermediate distances.

#26 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Game tape matters the most. But you do have some players that might look slow on game tape so having a 40 speed helps you see how fast they can run. But it shouldnt be the deciding factor in drafting them.

#27 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,041 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Most scouts look at it about the same way I look at it. You only pay attention to these things when they are extraordinary and force you to pay attention whether it be good or bad.

For instance if you burn off a 4.25 40, suddenly as a scout you have to go back and take another look at that guy on film.

Same thing if a guy unexpectedly runs a 4.75. You have to figure out if you missed something.

By and large it doesn't mean much. But if you blow it out or bomb suddenly the scouts have more work to do.

Also there are guys like the dude from South Carolina last year (can't remember his name). It was important that he run a good time or else he would have slipped.possibly to the 4th or 5th round instead of the top 2 rounds.

40 times don't determine success, but you can turn some heads either toward you or away from you depending on how you run.

Exactly.

The 40 time will either confirm what you see on film....or if it is contrary to what you saw, you go back and take another look at the film.

It should be one factor....but not the main factor.

#28 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• HUDDLER
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

How fast you can drink a 40 is about as important as 40 times when it comes down to it. It's all about game tape. The scouting combine exists to pump up the NFL image and make money. Work out warriors often fail. If a WR runs a sub 5, then perhaps there might be a problem, but for the most part, judging caliber of play off of tenths of a second while running in streamline underwear in a straight line doesn't really mean much. It's just a flashy gimmick.

#29 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Combine is good for seeing how a guy will prep in a real world situation. If a guy won't train hard for the combine, what's he going to do when you give him a couple million.

#30 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Put it this way... S.S ran what a 4.4

But the man had to run a 4.3 when he was at his peak on gameday. You also have to look at quickness, route running, acceleration, seperation when the ball is in the air which Steve does probably better than anyone in the league

To me 40 yard dashes only matter for deep threats if you asking to run all the way out and we gonna throw it deep to you. We have Gettis for that. What's the percentage of those working in the playoffs though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.