Photo
- - - - -

Louisiana Health Department destroys 1600lbs of processed and packaged deer meat that was donated to homeless shelter.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.
“Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”
That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.
“That’s a mild understatement,” said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. “Hunters are going nuts over it. It’s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.”
The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.
Henry Martin, executive director of the mission, told Fox News they’ve been serving deer meat for years – from deer chili to deer spaghetti.
“This was really good meat,” he said. “It’s high in protein and low in cholesterol. It’s very healthy.”
Martin said he was extremely bothered by the way state health inspectors handled the situation.
“You would think we would have due process,” he said. “But they meant to destroy the meat – that’s for sure.”
The mission’s chef asked if they could at least return the meat to the processing plant – but the state officials said no.
“They actually took it out to the dumpsters, split the packages open and poured Clorox on it,” Martin told Fox News.
He said the rescue mission serves 200,000 meals a year – without a single dime of assistance from the state or federal governments. As a result of the confiscation, he said as many as 3,200 meals were lost.
“It seems like this was a senseless act,” he said. “I don’t think hungry people who come to our mission appreciate the fact they could have been eating some really good venison and as it is now – no one can eat it.”
The Health Dept. defended their actions and said they had to pour Clorox on the meat as an “extra precaution so that animals would not eat it from the dumpster and become sick or die.”
“This is a process called ‘denaturing,’” they stated.
Campbell said the venison comes from deer management programs – where hunters have to kill a lot of deer.
“We ask our hunters once they fill up their own freezers to give the extra to the needy,” he said.
Once the deer is donated, a local processing plant prepares the meat for the shelters.

http://radio.foxnews...-deer-meat.html

Waste not, want not

#2 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Wow. That's awful.

#3 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I could go for some chili right about now

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,015 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Why do they not allow deer meat in LA? People all over America eat it?

#5 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'm not sure they would allow anything that is isn't domesticated...it's dumb but I understand why

#6 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm not sure they would allow anything that is not domesticated

Thats the kicker.

Many shelters in NC won't accept Deer either, b/c its not FDA approved and such.
It's a shame, lots of deer is wasted, and we aren't going to run out of deer with the current limits.

The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Ungrateful motherfuger. poo like that sets me off.

"I'm hungry please helps!?"
-"Here is some chili"
"WTF THIS IS DEER I CANT EAT THAT" *calls Health Dept.

Next week.

"I'm hungry please helps..."

#7 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Dam! People killing deer and now trying to justify by dumping the meat.

#8 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

What really got me was that they wouldn't return the meat to the people that donated it. If you aren't going to let the shelter that's been using the poo for TWENTY fuging YEARS continue to use it, then at least give it back to the people who donated it. But NOOOOO they just had to poor fuging bleach on it like a bunch of fugtards.

#9 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,546 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Stupid people exist and procreate, some even get government jobs in LA

#10 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ungrateful motherfugers. poo like that sets me off.

"I'm hungry please helps!?"
-"Here is some chili"
"WTF THIS IS DEER I CANT EAT THAT" *calls Health Dept.

Next week.

"I'm hungry please helps..."

Not sure I follow.

Many homeless people have mental issues...when I serve them there is always 1 or 2 that complain about the food I cook. That doesn't mean all are ungrateful motherfugers

#11 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Stupid people exist and procreate, some even get government jobs in LA

Posted Image

#12 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure they would allow anything that is isn't domesticated...it's dumb but I understand why

I've had deer meat at a restaurant in SC (Sasketoons). Not sure what the big deal is in LA. They eat fuging squirrel there, Jesus Christ.

Edit, maybe the deer meat at Sasketoons is from some deer farm I suppose. Still, pretty crazy.

#13 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Not sure I follow.

Many homeless people have mental issues...when I serve them there is always 1 or 2 that complain about the food I cook. That doesn't mean all are ungrateful motherfugers

Forgive me.
I mistakenly added an "s".
You know me well enough that I wouldn't group all homeless/hungry into the such a category.

#14 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Forgive me.
I mistakenly added an "s".
You know me well enough that I wouldn't group all homeless/hungry into the such a category.

I know you well enough which is why I quoted you...:)

I was more concerned about other people piling on and bashing all homeless people.

#15 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,883 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

louisiana, figures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com