Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So it's the offseason - Is Jimmy Clausen's career salvageable?

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Still think he's as capable of a back up as anyone could be here right now unless you're going to find a poor man's Cam newton out there with a similar skill set.

Funny how we set the backup bar so low at QB...

And so high at RB for example

Posted

Young, even in Tampa, still showed good enough intangibles to warrant being traded for 2nd and 4th round draft picks. Nobody would even trade their ham sandwich for Clausen.

Stupid thread.

Posted

He's been a nice guy. But the NFL is no place for nice guys. His arm isn't strong enough for our current passing attack. We need a strong armed passing quarterback to back up Cam. It would be a big mistake to get a backup QB that runs the read option. That is not what we want to be pigeon holed into.

Posted

Clausen plays scared....there is no fixing that.

Posted

jimmehhh(south park voice)

Posted

He had an ok preseason, But he's pretty much done in the NFL. But really, it doesn't matter, the guy has millions and he didn't get injured at all. Except his ego maybe. He also has a hot gf. He's doing just fine.

Posted

I don't see Clausen turning it around significantly. But I dont think a Alex Smith type turnaround is completley farce. Similar style and worst start to his career.

Posted

I don't really understand the hate for hepcat, I don't see you guys starting amazing threads these days. Anyways Clausen has pretty much zero arm strength so a West Coast offense would suit him better (ironic because I think he played a pro-style in college), but the real problem with Clausen is that he was thrown into the fire so early and so unprepared he has trouble maintaining composure in the pocket. Further worsening the issue, he seems to have zero sense of the impending sack he inevitably always ends up taking.

It would take a lot of coaching to undo the damage done to him. You know what team might take a flier on him, however, is the Chiefs, even if they get Alex Smith. If one man can salvage his career I trust Andy Reid.

2 people like this

Posted

No hate for Hepcat.

Would agree the Jimmy Clausen / Steve Young comparison is a stretch though.

Posted

Would Clausen have started in Jacksonville, Arizona, Kansas City, or Tennessee last year?

Posted

In fairness, you or I probably could have started in Arizona.

Bad players sometimes have post football careers as coaches or commentators. I'm not sure Clausen fits either of those jobs.

Posted

Definitely Arizona, and maybe any of the others mentioned. He played in Carolina with a lame duck head coach, only one experienced receiver, no real pass catching threat at tight end, and a historically bad OC. Small wonder he struggled, huh? Yes, he looked bad and at times he looked like the main problem, but there was a lot more going on behind the teams losses than a scared rookie QB.

If he's spent the past couple of years being productive in the film room, learning defenses, and training like he expects to be a starter someday, there's no reason to think he can't, if he's in the right situation (which will never be Carolina). But if he's been content to hold a clipboard, that's all he'll ever do.

1 person likes this