Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Workouts vs Game Tape

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Alabama Guard Chance Warmack looked like a beast on the field for Alabama this season. But when he got to The Combine, he showed up smaller than expected, ran a slow 40, declined to do the bench press and - per Joe Person - made a comment about pulling guards not having to go 40 yards. He was described as looking "soft".

NC State Corner David Amerson gave up a lot of catches this season, enough that it was said he showed up on "the wrong end of a lot of highlight reels". Working at The Combine though, Amerson tested well. His 40 time was 4.44, he had a 35.5 vertical, did 15 reps on the bench, measured out at 6'1, 205 and looked good in drills.

Worth noting that Warmack will have a chance (heh) to redeem himself at Alabama's Pro Day.

Regardless, both of these situations serve to bring up a long running offseason discussion.

How much weight do you give to The Combine when evaluating a player?

Posted · Report post

I dont. Its basically a parade. Judge players by what they do on the field in games.

Posted · Report post

With Chance, I don't give a poo about his Combine.

Posted · Report post

I wonder how many folks remember Mike Mamula.

(I know a lot of Eagle fans do)

Posted · Report post

I don't care much, if anything, about a workout in underwear on turf in a very controlled environment.

It can confirm some things, but holds little weight.

Posted · Report post

the combine is apart of the draft process.it should confirm what you see on tape,or make you go back to see if you missed something.

Posted · Report post

The combine is extremely useful. It allows stupid teams to fall in love with bad players so that a much better player falls to you.

Posted · Report post

Dave Gettleman gives his view of The Combine a little after 1:20 in this video...

[url="http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Panthers_Insider_Heavy_vetting_at_Combine/695f3658-865d-4530-b917-e9a33a147d94"]Heavy Vetting at The Combine[/url]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='R0CKnR0LLA' timestamp='1361934924' post='2145947']
The combine is extremely useful. It allows stupid teams to fall in love with bad players so that a much better player falls to you.
[/quote]

It'd be nice :lol:

Posted · Report post

We shouldn't have any desire to draft either of those player so I can't say really care how either of them did at their combine.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Growl' timestamp='1361935329' post='2145955']
We shouldn't have any desire to draft either of those player so I can't say really care how either of them did at their combine.
[/quote]

No desire to draft Chance Warmack? Why? :blink:

Posted · Report post

The combine is important, both are

Cause you had success and looked good against other COLLEGE players doesn't mean that will always transition in the NFL. It's really important for sure 1st round picks though