Photo
- - - - -

Scotch Lovers Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#25 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Really want to try/like scotch, but I don't think my 22 year old palate can't handle it yet

Start now. I started when I was about 22. I'm 25 now and it's my drink of choice. Fight through the peatiness and learn to enjoy.

I have two nice bottles, but can't drink the stuff on the rocks. Is there any other way to drink it?

I second whiskey rocks. But also, what I do sometimes that works well is I have a Deer Park bottle on my bar, I fill up just a capful with room temperature water (not tap water) and pour it in to about a 2 oz pour. Does well to cut the bite, but with the right scotch you won't need to (or want to).

This is my day to day:
Posted Image

But I recently had this at a Whiskey Bar in D.C. called Jack Rose (Praise Allah, a place with over 200 kinds of whiskey) and it totally blew my mind. I'm currently on the hunt for a bottle:

Posted Image

#26 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Start now. I started when I was about 22. I'm 25 now and it's my drink of choice. Fight through the peatiness and learn to enjoy.

I second whiskey rocks. But also, what I do sometimes that works well is I have a Deer Park bottle on my bar, I fill up just a capful with room temperature water (not tap water) and pour it in to about a 2 oz pour. Does well to cut the bite, but with the right scotch you won't need to (or want to).

This is my day to day:
Posted Image

But I recently had this at a Whiskey Bar in D.C. called Jack Rose (Praise Allah, a place with over 200 kinds of whiskey) and it totally blew my mind. I'm currently on the hunt for a bottle:

Posted Image

I much prefer the 14 to the 15.

#27 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

i love the macallan. 12 and 15 years are both phenomenal. i'd take either one over johnnie blue any day

#28 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

#29 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

i love the macallan. 12 and 15 years are both phenomenal. i'd take either one over johnnie blue any day

A good single malt>any blended IMO. Try the Macallan fine oak. Either the 15 17 18 or 21 is fine. some feel the 21 was too strong. My personal fav is the 15

#30 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Talisker 10 years and beyond.

#31 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

got a gift box for Christmas but I haven't opened it yet. Think it's Macallans but not sure. There's a 12, a 15 and a 18 year old bottle in the box.

#32 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

At 23 I'm really starting to enjoy whiskey more than ever. Could someone explain the difference between whiskey and scotch? Lately I've been buying bottles of Makers and Gentleman Jack and mix them 50/50 with some ginger ale. Once the night progresses and I've had a couple ill sip slow on the rocks. I suppose I have to start somewhere right?

#33 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

At 23 I'm really starting to enjoy whiskey more than ever. Could someone explain the difference between whiskey and scotch? Lately I've been buying bottles of Makers and Gentleman Jack and mix them 50/50 with some ginger ale. Once the night progresses and I've had a couple ill sip slow on the rocks. I suppose I have to start somewhere right?

Scotch is whiskey. As is Bourbon and Rye.

The difference come in what they are made of, where they are made, and the process used. Bourbon for instance has to be at least 51% corn. Scotch is made primarily from barley and has to be distilled at least twice and of course must be from Scotland.

There is a solid half a day worth of reading if you start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky and read all of the related articles.

#34 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Well, technically, whiskey encompasses a lot of different liquors (bourbon, scotch... probably other things?) I'm pretty sure scotch is just whiskey that derives from Scotland, and it probably has a different grain makeup.

But I'm just a little child that doesn't partake in illegal activities such as underaged drinking, so I'm probably totally wrong.

#35 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

Scotch is whiskey. As is Bourbon and Rye.

The difference come in what they are made of, where they are made, and the process used. Bourbon for instance has to be at least 51% corn. Scotch is made primarily from barley and has to be distilled at least twice and of course must be from Scotland.

Beat me to it. On the bright side, I wasn't wrong!