• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

got a gift box for Christmas but I haven't opened it yet. Think it's Macallans but not sure. There's a 12, a 15 and a 18 year old bottle in the box.

#32 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

At 23 I'm really starting to enjoy whiskey more than ever. Could someone explain the difference between whiskey and scotch? Lately I've been buying bottles of Makers and Gentleman Jack and mix them 50/50 with some ginger ale. Once the night progresses and I've had a couple ill sip slow on the rocks. I suppose I have to start somewhere right?

#33 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

At 23 I'm really starting to enjoy whiskey more than ever. Could someone explain the difference between whiskey and scotch? Lately I've been buying bottles of Makers and Gentleman Jack and mix them 50/50 with some ginger ale. Once the night progresses and I've had a couple ill sip slow on the rocks. I suppose I have to start somewhere right?

Scotch is whiskey. As is Bourbon and Rye.

The difference come in what they are made of, where they are made, and the process used. Bourbon for instance has to be at least 51% corn. Scotch is made primarily from barley and has to be distilled at least twice and of course must be from Scotland.

There is a solid half a day worth of reading if you start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky and read all of the related articles.

#34 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Well, technically, whiskey encompasses a lot of different liquors (bourbon, scotch... probably other things?) I'm pretty sure scotch is just whiskey that derives from Scotland, and it probably has a different grain makeup.

But I'm just a little child that doesn't partake in illegal activities such as underaged drinking, so I'm probably totally wrong.

#35 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

Scotch is whiskey. As is Bourbon and Rye.

The difference come in what they are made of, where they are made, and the process used. Bourbon for instance has to be at least 51% corn. Scotch is made primarily from barley and has to be distilled at least twice and of course must be from Scotland.

Beat me to it. On the bright side, I wasn't wrong!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com