Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Cop Acquitted

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I think a cop can if it is in his normal duties. They also get to shoot people sometimes legally.

The lady should not have been throwing anything at the police and the cop was within his job description to go disarm the lady. It wasn't within his duties to assault the lady but if he intended to smack her drink away it may have been.

I admit he may have also intended to smack a bitch but the video doesn't support it beyond a reasonable doubt.

She didn't throw anything, it was someone else.

Posted

She didn't throw anything, it was someone else.

You are correct.

The cop has been punished and should not have reacted the way he did.

At the same if I see a group of cops trying to handle a tense situation that doesn't involve me I walk away. The last thing I do is taunt, throw, or even fuging look at them. I don't have any sympathy for the lady even if she wasn't the thrower.

Posted

That'll learn her to cross the street!

Posted

I think a cop can if it is in his normal duties. They also get to shoot people sometimes legally.

The lady should not have been throwing anything at the police and the cop was within his job description to go disarm the lady. It wasn't within his duties to assault the lady but if he intended to smack her drink away it may have been.

I admit he may have also intended to smack a bitch but the video doesn't support it beyond a reasonable doubt.

What I'm understanding from this post is this

tl;dr: badges make people infallible

I for one am not comfortable with emotionally unstable people protecting and serving.

Posted

Welcome to America.

Posted

What I'm understanding from this post is this

tl;dr: badges make people infallible

I for one am not comfortable with emotionally unstable people protecting and serving.

Dude got fired... that is much more punishment than what he would have gotten for an assault charge.

Posted

Dude got fired... that is much more punishment than what he would have gotten for an assault charge.

Pretty sure if i assaulted someone on the job id get fired and charged with assault...

Posted

Pretty sure if i assaulted someone on the job id get fired and charged with assault...

If you the plaintiff can't prove intent then you would not get charged with anything which is what happened in this case. It's is a simple legal argument.

Posted

If you the plaintiff can't prove intent then you would not get charged with anything which is what happened in this case. It's is a simple legal argument.

my understanding is that's only true in "attempted battery" cases. This wasn't attempted (he connected) and it wasn't involuntary (he intended to swing at her.) The fact that he didn't connect where he said he wanted to is incidental.

If i throw a brick at a bird and hit someone in the face... I'm still going up. The only reason we're even discussing the intricacies of this law is that it was a cop... if these were two private civies... there would be absolutely no discussion.

Posted

The Pennsylvania definition of simple assault that I posted previously disagrees with this. You do not need to prove intent with reckless behavior. You can watch the video and prove intent. It's not like the gas pedal on his fist got stuck.

Posted

The Pennsylvania definition of simple assault that I posted previously disagrees with this. You do not need to prove intent with reckless behavior. You can watch the video and prove intent. It's not like the gas pedal on his fist got stuck.

It wasn't reckless under the legal definition. I don't think the video proves intent beyond a reasonable doubt and can see why the judge made the decision he did.

If the judge were smart he would have convicted him and given him 10 hours of community service and a $100 fine.

Posted

my understanding is that's only true in "attempted battery" cases. This wasn't attempted (he connected) and it wasn't involuntary (he intended to swing at her.) The fact that he didn't connect where he said he wanted to is incidental.

Nah read the law. You have to intend to hit them in the face. He says he was trying to hit a drink and the state couldn't prove otherwise.

You can disagree with the judge and it seems like most do.