59 replies to this topic

#46 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

She went out of her way in that it was an Old Testament/hebrew bible class in which Jesus was never brought up organically. (I know Matthew was generally guilty of this throughout his work. My point was being that the lens viewed from this class was sans kid gloves)

I see what you're saying. You're not disagreeing with the fact just pointing out her bias.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

#47 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

I agree.

I tried taking one in college. Unfortunately it didn't go so well. I noticed about 1/3 of the class had bibles on their desk when I got to class the first day. On the second day, we started exploring the historical context of the religions and their similarities and the bible kids started arguing with the professor and quoting scripture.

Professor was like "uhh this isn't a theology class. We are not here to debate doctrine." He was respectful, but obviously annoyed. They continued doing this with pretty much every topic covered. I dropped it after the third class because it was obvious nobody was going to get anything meaningful out of the class.

Shame, I really thought it would be an interesting class to take.

My religion class was much lazier than that. They just wanted to get the grade and move on to the next class. Of course, it was billed as a world religion class, so they really didn't spend but a couple of weeks discussing christianity.

#48 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Regarding the op and bible classes, as long as its an elective, and they teach it objectively (ie not as the true religion), then I don't see the problem with it. Maybe they should offer classes on other religions as well, although they would probably have to combine them all as one.

Btw, when did they stop offering classes on the bible. I took a similar class in High School. Best I can remember, they simply taught about the various intrpretations of it, the bible as a historical document and the back ground of the various books of the bible.

It was a very interesting class, and they didn't have prayer meetings or cast out demons or any of that stuff. :)

#49 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Passing laws to make gay marriage legal, majority of Christians don't support = bigotry

Trashing Christians and their religion while using hateful vitriol b/c of a potential law that hasn't been passed that would allow exploration of the Bible in public schools through an ELECTIVE NOT MANDATORY COURSE = Progressive thinking

I know, Christians are never victims. Just big, bad, bullies who are only discriminated against because they did it first, so it's okay.

#50 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I got credit for reading other fictional stuff in literature classes. I don't see a big deal, so long as it isn't a forced thing or something that is taught as factual information.

Now, if it carried the same weight as something like science or math, I would have an issue.

Stop overreacting. You're acting like a bible belt Christian when you do that.

#51 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Passing laws to make gay marriage legal, majority of Christians don't support = bigotry

Trashing Christians and their religion while using hateful vitriol b/c of a potential law that hasn't been passed that would allow exploration of the Bible in public schools through an ELECTIVE NOT MANDATORY COURSE = Progressive thinking

I know, Christians are never victims. Just big, bad, bullies who are only discriminated against because they did it first, so it's okay.

I don't think that's it pd... but I hear what you're saying. Definitely double standards in these issues.

I think in this case there's definitely an ulterior motive behind the bill...

Otherwise, he wouldn't have specified "new and old testament" and it would have included other religious books.

#52 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

A general world religions class should be offered.

Tax payer money should not go towards a teacher who only teaches one specific religion.

#53 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Didn't UNC have "required" reading of the Koran for incoming students? Just sayin....

Just as stupid.

2 stupid things doesn't make a smart thing, does it?

#54 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

As a christian I would prefer that all religions be separate from anything to do with state or federal institutions. JMO.

#55 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Just as stupid.

2 stupid things doesn't make a smart thing, does it?

Read a bit further for my comments. Agreed that both were stupid

#56 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Well it is UNC

#57 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Well it is UNC

Took you this long? You are slipping.

#58 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

then you know I'm straight trippin

#59 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

How long before NC reaches Alabama levels of stupidity in the eyes of the nation? A year? Two?

#60 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

How long until we can vote the republicans out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com