Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hornets won't happen

106 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Had the chance to chat with a front office guy for the Bobcats. He says all their research shows that getting the hornets name back won't be a profitable long term move.

He says once fans understand that its just the name they get back, not the history, they lose some interest. No Mugsy, Grandmama, Alonzo highlights. No team records. All that stays in Nola. It is still the Bobcats with a new name and a losing record.

Anyways, just a heads up, don't expect the name change.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[img]http://medias.omgif.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Celebrity-Splash-hardcore-fan.gif[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

That's bullsh*t. Not your story Zod, but their excuse... Cheap asses. We don't need the history of the old Hornets per se, it was about bringing back the name and being a new Hornets franchise. And whether they want to acknowledge the history or not "officially" it doesn't matter, because the fans would do it for them.

Has New Orleans ever honored Muggsy, Zo, or LJ? Not that I know of, because it wasn't relevant to them in New Orleans.

Explain to me why Muggsy is still associated with CHARLOTTE and not New Orleans. Why is Dell one of play-by-play guys?

That excuse is BS.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Proudiddy' timestamp='1362057463' post='2147156']
That's bullsh*t. Not your story Zod, but their excuse... Cheap asses. We don't need the history of the old Hornets per se, it was about bringing back the name and being a new Hornets franchise. And whether they want to acknowledge the history or not "officially" it doesn't matter, because the fans would do it for them.

Has New Orleans ever honored Muggsy, Zo, or LJ? Not that I know of, because it wasn't relevant to them in New Orleans.

Explain to me why Muggsy is still associated with CHARLOTTE and not New Orleans. Why is Dell one of play-by-play guys?

That excuse is BS.
[/quote]
All very good points.. New Orleans doesn't care about the history..

The history didn't travel with the team name..

Posted · Report post

I actually agree that a name change wont make a difference in long term interest and ticket sales. But it would be a huge boost for merchandise sales and exposure around town. I still think that a well timed name change (after the team turns the corner and starts winning games) would work beautifully, so they may just wait a couple years to make the change

Posted · Report post

inb4smokescreen
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Oh yeah? Well I know someone in the front office and they told me the exact opposite.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Doyle' timestamp='1362079775' post='2147640']
Oh yeah? Well I know someone in the front office and they told me the exact opposite.
[/quote]

poo is about to get real!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

If their research doesn't show a boost in merchandise at the very least then they need some new researchers. Or common sense.

Posted · Report post

Largest grain of salt in the world for this one. The one man that controls this decision will do what he wants, and he has never answered to anybody about his finances.

Posted · Report post

winning will up ticket sales, but the name change will create temporary excitement from fans, and it will up merchandise sales.

this tells me the team doesn't think that they will make money on the name change so they won't do it. too bad.