Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hornets won't happen

106 posts in this topic

Posted

Puff, puff, pass.

I should be saying that to you guys thinking MJ or the Bobcats are gonna spend money to change their name for yall. LOL. I notice NONE OF YALL live in Charlotte. On the outside looking in.

Posted

To be fair... Bob, as far as we have been told, was not involved hands-on in the personnel moves of our playoff teams. MJ was overseeing basketball operations at the time, so technically, he built it. That being said, we had to tear it down because it wasn't built to last. Of course there are gonna be better attendance numbers when a team is winning 33 games compared to 13. Just as we're seeing with the Panthers since 2009, when a team is poorly constructed and poorly managed for years and sits on the cusp (Panthers and Cats just missing the playoffs) and you keep trying to plug in guys, eventually it all has to be torn down to be built back up. That's where we are now.

Posted

I should be saying that to you guys thinking MJ or the Bobcats are gonna spend money to change their name for yall. LOL. I notice NONE OF YALL live in Charlotte. On the outside looking in.

Yeah because living outside Charlotte cancels any opinion we may have. :phew:

Posted

Bob Johnson is the best owner Charlotte has ever had. And by far the better businessman between the 4. Nobody outside of the Carolinas has ever heard of George Shinn and Jerry Richardson. Michael Jordan took the playoff team Bob built and made it a running joke. You guys think they're "geniuses" and in this market they are or were "stars". And the only reason yall claim Jordan is great because you think he's gonna do a "name change" for you. LMAO. Bob's teams despite their lack of talent and lack of general support competed hard and gave this city all they had and as an owner thats all you can ask for. Bobcats didnt set all time futility records til MJ took charge. And Bob never held this city hostage or treated his kids the way JR does and did.

I agree w/ some of this. I'm curious though on your assumption regarding Mr. Richardson and how he treated his kids.

It's hard to argue against your point though about Bobcats being a better team under BJ than MJ.

Posted

Yeah because living outside Charlotte cancels any opinion we may have. :phew:

This also means by his logic, only fans living in Charlotte should care about the Panthers. He's a toolbox. I guess that means since I'm a Sixers fan I shouldn't care that they really suck this year. Actually, I can live with that.

Posted

King T has a great point (as he usually does) I think all the bring back the buzz people were intimidated and scared of Bob Johnson and that's why they didn't pull this rename crap when Bob was in town.

Bob did so much for Charlotte and it makes me sick to think that you guys are disrespecting his legacy.

Posted

KT can be a very insightful poster when he wants to be.

Regarding the rebrand though - its gonna come down to what MJ wants to do.

I think the rename fee quoted by the NBA was $3 million. I know he just got a house last month in Cornelius for $2.8.....

Posted

King T has a great point (as he usually does) I think all the bring back the buzz people were intimidated and scared of Bob Johnson and that's why they didn't pull this rename crap when Bob was in town.

Bob did so much for Charlotte and it makes me sick to think that you guys are disrespecting his legacy.

not sure if serious....

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't see how Bob Johnson never became Mayor of Charlotte, for all the wonderful things he did in the community, like fire his community relations staff.

#greatowner

Posted

I really just want a name change because I think the Bobcats is a stupid ass name. I'd rather them be called the Charlotte Webs or Charlatans than I would them be the Bobcats.

Posted

I don't see how Bob Johnson never became Mayor of Charlotte, for all the wonderful things he did in the community, like fire his community relations staff.

#greatowner

versus firing his sons from the business and demanding the team be sold immediately following his death?

Or having a sexual assault case on national television?

Did Bob ever lean on the city and state for money? Was he on welfare like JR & the Panthers are demanding right now? No, Bob had his own money he didnt need handouts. Bob actually paid for and hired a respected HOF coach like Larry Brown. We actually made trades and gave out big contracts with his money. Bob is the one who brought MJ in in the first place. Had he not, MJ would still be somewhere (working as a GM) hoping to be an owner still trying to prove that what happened in Washington wasnt his fault and he's got the chops to hold total control of an organization.

Posted

versus firing his sons from the business and demanding the team be sold immediately following his death?

Or having a sexual assault case on national television?

Did Bob ever lean on the city and state for money? Was he on welfare like JR & the Panthers are demanding right now? No, Bob had his own money he didnt need handouts. Bob actually paid for and hired a respected HOF coach like Larry Brown. We actually made trades and gave out big contracts with his money. Bob is the one who brought MJ in in the first place. Had he not, MJ would still be somewhere (working as a GM) hoping to be an owner still trying to prove that what happened in Washington wasnt his fault and he's got the chops to hold total control of an organization.

Actually, the entire financing for the arena was state/city money (Approx. $260 million). Your boy bobby didn't pony up any of his own money for the arena while charging local high schools $15k for graduation fees...most schools still use bojangles coliseum as a result.

Richardson's team has been far more successful on the field than bobby's boys, playing in a stadium financed privately through PSL's... it was the first large scaled project in the United States funded through PSL's and is the focal point for facility financing/business classes and textbooks.

I actually didn't and still don't have a problem with Bob Johnson, but you're argument is riddled with inaccuracies and obvious bias which has unfortunately destroyed your credibility with most posters on here who have since forgotten the positive contributions you gave to the Bobcats forum.

1 person likes this