• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 JGib23

JGib23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think we are being catfished, in order to drive traffic to this site.

No one can really be this blind to the world.

#77 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,146 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

A survey is a survey. It really doesnt mean much.

John I just flew back from Houston Texas 2 days ago. I was out there for 4 days and do you know not once did I see or hear anyone bitching about "getting the Oilers name back". The Texans are just now experiencing success after sucking their first 7-8 years but you would never know it by how rabid they are out there about them. Rockets aint been in the NBA playoffs in a few years, but the fans still support em and rep em everywhere I went out there. I wish our fans and city had half the heart of those guys. It really puts in perspective how shitty a sports town this is, and what we prioritize. "Name changes" over "unconditional support". ;)

Wait? So their fans support their teams even when they weren't very good so that makes them better fans? Didn't Charlotte do that for the Hornets as well when we led the league in attendance when Kelly Tripucka was our best player?

Don't we do it now for a Panthers team that has never had back to back winning seasons?

#78 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,086 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I drove over three hours to see Hornet games: 12-15 home games a season...watched every game..from before Armon Gilliam was their best player and Johnny Newman was a huge free agent signing.

I have yet to have seen a Bobcat game from beginning to end(and looked for many games) just not availible in Columbia..a whole 1.5 hrs away.

Bad drafts, losing...the stupid Bobcat name...they really make it tough to try n become a fan.

#79 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Bob Johnson's Legacy = pretty shitty franchise.

#80 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

A survey is a survey. It really doesnt mean much.

John I just flew back from Houston Texas 2 days ago. I was out there for 4 days and do you know not once did I see or hear anyone bitching about "getting the Oilers name back". The Texans are just now experiencing success after sucking their first 7-8 years but you would never know it by how rabid they are out there about them. Rockets aint been in the NBA playoffs in a few years, but the fans still support em and rep em everywhere I went out there. I wish our fans and city had half the heart of those guys. It really puts in perspective how shitty a sports town this is, and what we prioritize. "Name changes" over "unconditional support". ;)

1. Texans is actually a pretty cool name and brand. Bobcats isn't.

2. Texans doesn't remind them of an owner that could have cared less about the city of Charlotte or running an NBA team. Furthermore, the ownership has built a winner.

Bob Johnson had his opportunity to say "Hey, look, I know Shinn screwed you over and you're pissed, but I'm going to prove to you that I'm not Shinn and care about the community" and did just about everything wrong in the process. It took freaking MICHAEL JORDAN purchasing the team to finally get them into the playoffs.

It's been 9 years and the most positive momentum this team has ever gained has absolutely nothing to do with their on-court play (futility incarnate) drafting (incompetence incarnate) or their brand (apathy incarnate.)

The amount of attention garnered in this market by the Bring Back the Buzz movement is a testament to just how much of a failure Bob Johnson was in this town. Why you choose to act like he is some godsend to this community I'll never know.

It's like me, an App student, trying to say Armanti has been awesome on the Panthers because of what he accomplished in college. You want to talk about how Bob Johnson rose to prominence from nothing as an entrepreneur? Fine. You want to say he helped black culture in America by creating BET? Fine. That's great and all, but don't try to convince me or anyone else here in Charlotte that Bob Johnson had a clue what he was doing as an NBA owner. All the evidence says otherwise. His presiding over this franchise made MJ look like Dr. Jerry Buss.

#81 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationOut in God's country.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

1. Texans is actually a pretty cool name and brand. Bobcats isn't.

2. Texans doesn't remind them of an owner that could have cared less about the city of Charlotte or running an NBA team. Furthermore, the ownership has built a winner.

Bob Johnson had his opportunity to say "Hey, look, I know Shinn screwed you over and you're pissed, but I'm going to prove to you that I'm not Shinn and care about the community" and did just about everything wrong in the process. It took freaking MICHAEL JORDAN purchasing the team to finally get them into the playoffs.

It's been 9 years and the most positive momentum this team has ever gained has absolutely nothing to do with their on-court play (futility incarnate) drafting (incompetence incarnate) or their brand (apathy incarnate.)

The amount of attention garnered in this market by the Bring Back the Buzz movement is a testament to just how much of a failure Bob Johnson was in this town. Why you choose to act like he is some godsend to this community I'll never know.

It's like me, an App student, trying to say Armanti has been awesome on the Panthers because of what he accomplished in college. You want to talk about how Bob Johnson rose to prominence from nothing as an entrepreneur? Fine. You want to say he helped black culture in America by creating BET? Fine. That's great and all, but don't try to convince me or anyone else here in Charlotte that Bob Johnson had a clue what he was doing as an NBA owner. All the evidence says otherwise. His presiding over this franchise made MJ look like Dr. Jerry Buss.

Preach...

#82 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Bob Johnson is the best owner Charlotte has ever had. And by far the better businessman between the 4. Nobody outside of the Carolinas has ever heard of George Shinn and Jerry Richardson. Michael Jordan took the playoff team Bob built and made it a running joke. You guys think they're "geniuses" and in this market they are or were "stars". And the only reason yall claim Jordan is great because you think he's gonna do a "name change" for you. LMAO. Bob's teams despite their lack of talent and lack of general support competed hard and gave this city all they had and as an owner thats all you can ask for. Bobcats didnt set all time futility records til MJ took charge. And Bob never held this city hostage or treated his kids the way JR does and did.

#83 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

How does Bob make MJ look like Jerry Buss? Bob built a playoff team and the Bobs posted better attendance numbers when he was here. Are they a playoff team now, how is attendance? MJ turned the franchise into a Jumpman outlet, but hey he may change the name so lets not acknowledge him as being perhaps the worst EXEC in NBA history. Bob had you bringbackthebuzz guys so scared you didnt dare try and pull this stuff when he was here. You guys were afraid of him. Now that the coast is clear, you got your chests puffed out. And still no name change. Anybody wanna take me up on a $200 paypal bet right now that the Bobcats will be the Bobcats in 2014 celebrating their 10th anniversary? I'd love to make a quick 200 off you guys trapped in a 1988 time warp.

#84 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Bob Johnson is the best owner Charlotte has ever had. And by far the better businessman between the 4. Nobody outside of the Carolinas has ever heard of George Shinn and Jerry Richardson. Michael Jordan took the playoff team Bob built and made it a running joke. You guys think they're "geniuses" and in this market they are or were "stars". And the only reason yall claim Jordan is great because you think he's gonna do a "name change" for you. LMAO. Bob's teams despite their lack of talent and lack of general support competed hard and gave this city all they had and as an owner thats all you can ask for. Bobcats didnt set all time futility records til MJ took charge. And Bob never held this city hostage or treated his kids the way JR does and did.

Puff, puff, pass.

#85 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Puff, puff, pass.

I should be saying that to you guys thinking MJ or the Bobcats are gonna spend money to change their name for yall. LOL. I notice NONE OF YALL live in Charlotte. On the outside looking in.

#86 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

To be fair... Bob, as far as we have been told, was not involved hands-on in the personnel moves of our playoff teams. MJ was overseeing basketball operations at the time, so technically, he built it. That being said, we had to tear it down because it wasn't built to last. Of course there are gonna be better attendance numbers when a team is winning 33 games compared to 13. Just as we're seeing with the Panthers since 2009, when a team is poorly constructed and poorly managed for years and sits on the cusp (Panthers and Cats just missing the playoffs) and you keep trying to plug in guys, eventually it all has to be torn down to be built back up. That's where we are now.

#87 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

I should be saying that to you guys thinking MJ or the Bobcats are gonna spend money to change their name for yall. LOL. I notice NONE OF YALL live in Charlotte. On the outside looking in.

Yeah because living outside Charlotte cancels any opinion we may have. :phew:

#88 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I agree w/ some of this. I'm curious though on your assumption regarding Mr. Richardson and how he treated his kids.

It's hard to argue against your point though about Bobcats being a better team under BJ than MJ.

#89 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yeah because living outside Charlotte cancels any opinion we may have. :phew:

This also means by his logic, only fans living in Charlotte should care about the Panthers. He's a toolbox. I guess that means since I'm a Sixers fan I shouldn't care that they really suck this year. Actually, I can live with that.

#90 JGib23

JGib23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

King T has a great point (as he usually does) I think all the bring back the buzz people were intimidated and scared of Bob Johnson and that's why they didn't pull this rename crap when Bob was in town.

Bob did so much for Charlotte and it makes me sick to think that you guys are disrespecting his legacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users