Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My case for drafting an LT if one of the top 3 slides to 14

38 posts in this topic

Posted

No way. I disagree. Fisher is a much better LT. The kid isn't as athletic as Lane but is much more physical and nasty.

Johnson if there at SD, will be a Charger. All three OTs will be off the board after Chargers' pick.

Fisher is almost a Joe Stalley clone.

Posted

Exactly

Posted

If Johnson is there, we should take him. He has experience at RT, so he could start there and move to LT in a year or so. We can address RG in FA with someone like Vasquez, Slauson, or Donald Thomas, which is who I prefer.

Posted

My reasoning for wanting to draft an OT is that we would lock up an integral piece of the team for a very cheap price. Getting an OT in free agency is extremely expensive, but OG's can be had rather cheaply.

1 person likes this

Posted

Dallas moved up from 14 to 6 last year for a second round pick. If Fisher is there at 6, that would be an interesting scenario. A sure franchise LT would be worth it.

Posted

If Lane Johnson is there at 14, believe me we'll jump on his ass.

Posted

Jockel to the Chiefs

Fisher to the Cardinals

Johnson to the Chargers

Posted

Joeckel and Fisher will be gone. However some think that Lane Johnson might be there. If I'm Gett's I'm jumping all over Johnson because that would improve 3 positions. Johnson can immediately start at LT (per Mayock) which would allow us to improve the RT spot by moving Gross to the right side. Sliding Bell in to RG would be an upgrade over anything on our current roster. So 1 new player could = three line positions improved.

I'm for what ever makes the team better. Being able to move Gross to the right side would make us better. I would still hope we address the RG position as well. A mid level FA would be an upgrade. I think Bell would be RT#2 and emergency RG.

With Kalil coming back, a full offseason for Amini, an upgrade at RG, and Gross moving to the RT spot we are pretty darn good. So I am on the draft a LT this year train.

Posted

Jockel to the Chiefs

Fisher to the Cardinals

Johnson to the Chargers

Yeah I could see that.

Posted

If Johnson is there I think we pull the trigger. If gives us depth and a guy who can be a stud for the next decade. Gettleman is not as likely to try and make guys start day 1 like Hurney did with Silatolu.

Posted

If Johnson is there I think we pull the trigger. If gives us depth and a guy who can be a stud for the next decade. Gettleman is not as likely to try and make guys start day 1 like Hurney did with Silatolu.

You spend that high of a pick on an olinemen and they are expected to start. Basically if you take one in the first two rounds that's a team replacing a starter, well hoping they did at least.

You don't spend a high pick for an OT and not play him as a rookie,

Posted

You spend that high of a pick on an olinemen and they are expected to start. Basically if you take one in the first two rounds that's a team replacing a starter, well hoping they did at least.

You don't spend a high pick for an OT and not play him as a rookie,

With the new rookie wage scale I don't think there should be such an emphasis on starting right away particularly at positions where players need a year to learn what to do. Most rookie linemen get abused for the first year and struggle. Steve Smith alluded to the fact that Silatolu got abused royally last year and it really hurt our offense. He said that he and LaFell were routinely open but Cam was running for his life much of the time. I would rather protect Newton by giving him great o line protection even if that meant using vets until the rookie were ready, than sacrificing my quarterback because I felt obligated to put a rookie in who was ill-prepared to start.

The draft should be for depth and eventual starters unless you get a phenom like Kuechly, not necessarily starters day 1. When rookies made 10 million a year you had to do it but now not so much.