Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fat Letters

14 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/fat-letters-massachusetts_n_2775004.html

They're being called "fat letters"-- notes mailed home from schools in North Andover, Mass., to alert parents that their child qualifies as obese.

"Honestly, I laughed," Tracy Watson, the mother of a fourth-grader who was the subject of one such letter, told the North Andover Patch.

Watson's son Cam is an active member on wrestling and football teams. But a screening by the school revealed that Cam's body mass index -- an indicator of body fat in relation to height and weight -- put him in the category of obese. The letter subsequently advised the Watsons to talk to their pediatrician.

“I know I’m not obese so I didn’t really care about the letter. I just crumpled it up,” Cam Watson, who is 4 feet 7 inches and weighs 97 pounds, told NBC Boston affiliate WHDH.com.

I will never understand the thought process that goes into administrator decisions.

Posted

BMI is a joke.

As far as administrators decisions goes... well, not much to say about that.

Posted

By BMI, 4'-7" 97 pounds is not obese or even overweight.

Either somebody made a mistake or somebody's lying.

Posted

BMI...LOL Let me get MsSkyy in here to rant about BMI

Posted

BMI always makes me think about Alejandro and his pussified PM'ing of people with his BMI to try and prove he wasn't a worthless fat peiceofshit.

Posted

That being said. If your bmi is 36 when you're in elementary school, it's not because you're a bodybuilder.

Posted

BMI always makes me think about Alejandro and his pussified PM'ing of people with his BMI to try and prove he wasn't a worthless fat peiceofshit.

and then posting a picture of his car title to prove to Internet strangers that he drives something nice... what a mega douche

Posted

I have no problem with it. Obviously you need to send the letters to the right people, but some parents really need a reality check about their kids.

Reminds me of this- http://www.ajc.com/n...-critics/nQPtQ/

Relevant point from the article:

50 percent of people surveyed did not recognize childhood obesity as a problem and 75 percent of parents of overweight or obese kids did not see their kids as having a weight issue

Posted

I was gonna say a capitol G and Q were the ones that seemed a bit large, but guess that is for another day

1 person likes this

Posted

assuming it is being properly administered I don't see a problem with it, but like most things, the devil is in the details.

I wonder what these schools serve for breakfast/lunch, though.

Posted

I thought this was about college acceptance letters...

Posted

So the administrator is wanting Cam to play CB instead of DT? :)

Even if he is a tad bit obese....I blame it on society. I mean you can go to McDonalds and get a McDouble and 4 apple slices and "yay now it's healthy to eat at McDonalds!" And parents actually believe that poo.