25 replies to this topic

#1 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

An American college student is facing expulsion for publicly speaking out about being raped – even though she never once mentioned the name of her alleged attacker.

Landen Gambill, a sophomore at the University of North Carolina, said the university sent her an e-mail informing her that she was being charged with an Honor Code violation for “intimidating” her alleged rapist by speaking about her assault and the school’s treatment of the case. Such a violation could lead to her expulsion from the university – even though she never revealed her alleged rapist’s name publicly.

“Obviously, I’m afraid. I never meant to make anyone mad at me [by speaking out],” Gambill told the Huffington Post. “I’m mostly surprised at just how crazy it is, that they’re willing to charge me with something just because my rapist is feeling uncomfortable.”

http://rt.com/usa/ra...y-carolina-581/

#2 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Strike 2 for UNC

Unless she is a "rabbit boiler", then the school will certainly and rightly lose face.

#3 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

What is a rabbit boiler?

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

What is a rabbit boiler?

Posted Image

#5 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Ahhhhh. I guess i understand that. Nice reference either way.

#6 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Years ago, that is what we called girls who were a bit "unpredictable". Rabbit boilers was just a saying with our group.

Assuming you saw the movie

#7 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I understand rape is rape, no means no, and if consent isn't given, then it is rape. But, her situation is awfully complicated to just write it off as rape. Anytime you're accusing an ex- or former-lover, odds are there is more behind the story.

That being said, I don't get the Honor Code charges if she didn't use his name. But, she is coming off as a bit unstable.

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,430 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Russia today? Does anybody besides Venom actually read that crap?

That being said, I did look this up. On the surface, it seems really odd. She claims she was raped, but instead of filing a criminal charge, she takes him to honor court? Rape is a serious crime, but she wants him penalized by getting bad grades or expelled? And then once she made that dubious decision, she refused to live by the results of it? Also, from what a UNC friend told me, if she is being charged with a violation of the honor code, then it would have to come from another student, not from the University. More than likely, its coming from the ex boyfriend.

She may be telling the truth, but on the surface, the events seem rather odd.

#9 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Sounds more like a pissing match than anything, but rape is heavily under-reported and covered up at all universities. With NC State it just happens to mainly occur with farm animals.

#10 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

With NC State it just happens to mainly occur with farm animals.

IM GONNA TELL YO MAMA WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT HER Posted Image

#11 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

I like this new one much better.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,386 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Russia today? Does anybody besides Venom actually read that crap?

That being said, I did look this up. On the surface, it seems really odd. She claims she was raped, but instead of filing a criminal charge, she takes him to honor court? Rape is a serious crime, but she wants him penalized by getting bad grades or expelled? And then once she made that dubious decision, she refused to live by the results of it? Also, from what a UNC friend told me, if she is being charged with a violation of the honor code, then it would have to come from another student, not from the University. More than likely, its coming from the ex boyfriend.

She may be telling the truth, but on the surface, the events seem rather odd.

Very.

In fairness, it's a sad truth about the legal system that rape victims really do get dragged over the coals in the trial process. That's one reason why some women either never report it or, after reporting, refuse to file charges.

In my opinion, that dynamic is a major reason why Ben Roethlisberger isn't rotting in prison right now. God only knows what his lawyers would have done to those girls.

Of course, there's also the Duke Lacrosse team incident. There are major pitfalls on both sides. My natural tendency is toward believing rape victims, but cases like that at Duke have to give you pause.

This situation? Not enough detail and a load of unanswered questions. Did she get checked out by a doctor who could have documented evidence of rape? Why did she go to the school - and now to the public - but not to the police? What's this guys rep like? Does he have other complaints against him?

There's just not enough info here to say much of anything definite.

#13 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Very.

In fairness, it's a sad truth about the legal system that rape victims really do get dragged over the coals in the trial process. That's one reason why some women either never report it or, after reporting, refuse to file charges.

In my opinion, that dynamic is a major reason why Ben Roethlisberger isn't rotting in prison right now. God only knows what his lawyers would have done to those girls.

Of course, there's also the Duke Lacrosse team incident. There are major pitfalls on both sides. My natural tendency is toward believing rape victims, but cases like that at Duke have to give you pause.

This situation? Not enough detail and a load of unanswered questions. Did she get checked out by a doctor who could have documented evidence of rape? Why did she go to the school - and now to the public - but not to the police? What's this guys rep like? Does he have other complaints against him?

There's just not enough info here to say much of anything definite.

I agree. Unfortunately though, Rape, and especially date rape, is one of the most difficult crimes to prove. Usually, no one really knows what happens except for the accused and the accusor.

#14 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Colleges do crazy stuff.

http://radio.foxnews...an-leaders.html

#15 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Years ago, that is what we called girls who were a bit "unpredictable". Rabbit boilers was just a saying with our group.

Assuming you saw the movie

i actually heard that reference a second time last night. Thanks, that time i got it. It's been like 15 years since i saw that movie.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.