36 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Colts owner Jim Irsay says Polian wanted to trade away Peyton Manning in 2004 (link)

Bill Polian is also the guy who was once known for throwing a chair at an agent during contentious negotiation and who, when asked whether he had any concerns about the durability of first round draft pick Tshimanga Biakabutuka, said flatly "None" :unsure:

#2 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

He took Kerry Collins and Tshimanga Biakabutuka over Steve McNair and Eddie George with two of the most important picks in franchise history. I've not been a huge fan of the guy.

I do want some more info as to why he wanted to trade Manning though. He had just come off that co-mvp year I believe. Even though it was a contract year, he's clearly one of the best in the sport. Also, who wanted him?

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

i've said it many times...bill polian is overrated around these parts.

#4 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

when asked whether he had any concerns about the durability of first round draft pick Tshimanga Biakabutuka, said flatly "None" :unsure:

He never missed a game at Michigan, why would he have any concerns about his durability?

#5 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Should we also bring up how he didn't want to work with Tony Dungy and a big reason they drafted Manning over Leaf was that he blew off a pre-draft interview they had scheduled?

In his defense, he made a legitimately good call on Jim Kelly.

#6 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

He sure had a lot of success for being such an awful GM...

#7 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

So did George Seifert. Both kind of sucked here, so I assume they are clownfrauds.

#8 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Irsay and him had a falling out so I would take anything Jim the Sh*thead says with a grain of salt.

#9 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Irsay is a crack pot.

#10 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

So did George Seifert. Both kind of sucked here, so I assume they are clownfrauds.

Took over a Bills team that had averaged 4 wins a season for the four years prior to his arrival, averaged over 10 wins for next four years, made playoffs after two years.

Took over an expansion Panthers team, broke record for wins in first season, made it to Division Champs second year, averaged almost 9 wins a year for three years.

Took over a 3-13 Indianapolis team, proceeded to draft Manning and win a ton.

Seiffert took over a dominant team in San Francisco with two franchise quarterbacks on the roster and maintained it. Then he took over a mediocre team in Carolina and maintained that as well...

Irsay is an idiot.

#11 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

drafted peyton manning. that's about the extent of it. nothing else special about what he did.

btw, he's the guy that hired jim mora, sr. he wasn't allowed to hire any coaches after that and he was against hiring dungy.

polian isn't liked around the league. he and his son are considered toxic, meddlers, and pricks.

their success had everything to do with peyton and little to do with building a team. they had a lot of success drafting from '98-'06, but after that was considered pretty bad...and a lot of that had to do with their personnel guru and top talent evaluator, dom anile, getting pushed out of the job by polian's son.

#12 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

drafted peyton manning. that's about the extent of it. nothing else special about what he did.

btw, he's the guy that hired jim mora, sr. he wasn't allowed to hire any coaches after that and he was against hiring dungy.

polian isn't liked around the league. he and his son are considered toxic, meddlers, and pricks.

their success had everything to do with peyton and little to do with building a team. they had a lot of success drafting from '98-'06, but after that was considered pretty bad...and a lot of that had to do with their personnel guru and top talent evaluator, dom anile, getting pushed out of the job by polian's son.

this is completely false

#13 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Irsay and him had a falling out so I would take anything Jim the Sh*thead says with a grain of salt.

if irsay was the only one who has been criticizing polian i'd take that into consideration...but he's not.

#14 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,336 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

this is completely false

throwing chairs around....and other numerous things. I've heard what rayzor said.

#15 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Based on the results he's gotten, I guess he's just the luckiest GM to ever live, huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com