An example of Bill Polian's "genius"

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'll admit a bias because of relations but that's as far as I'll go.

all that needs to be said.

your opinion is skewed.

#22 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Colts owner Jim Irsay says Polian wanted to trade away Peyton Manning in 2004 (link)

Bill Polian is also the guy who was once known for throwing a chair at an agent during contentious negotiation and who, when asked whether he had any concerns about the durability of first round draft pick Tshimanga Biakabutuka, said flatly "None" :unsure:

he also came somewhat close at one point, rumors said, that Carolina was going to trade a 1, Collins, and more, for the pick that became Manning.

#23 csx

csx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

your opinion is skewed.

And yours is based upon a google search, no?

#24 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

he had some talent, but not as much as the success that his track record would lead you to believe.

the success of the colts had more to do with peyton and dungy than polian's team building skills.....which were diminishing over time.

he drafted peyton insted of ryan leaf...but that should have been a no brainer anyway because leaf's bad attitude and lack of work ethic and intangibles were pretty well known, but he was highly touted because of his size and "cannon for an arm".

drafting edge instead of ricky williams...edge had been impressing more people in the interviews pre-draft than williams, mainly because people were getting the idea that williams was a flake. williams had been slipping down people's draft boards for weeks heading into the draft. again...if you pay attention to personalities, it is more of a no brainer and both leaf and williams showed that you need to pay attention to those things.

but how long ago was that? even if it showed his skills as a talent evaluator.

how many times did he hit it with draft picks in the last 5 or so years he was there? and i'm not talking about the udfas that he landed because that's more luck than anything...otherwise shouldn't they have been drafted?

how often, aside from vinitieri did he hit it in FA?

sorry....i'm just not awed by his accomplishments. during his tenure he only had 2 more probowlers and one more all-pro drafted than we did.

and i haven't even brought up his decision to hire his son as GM.

Don't forget his good luck in Buffalo and Carolina before then. Pretty impressive streak for a guy with no talent, huh?

#25 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

i said he had some, not none.

pay attention.

#26 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Polian picked a guy who's in the conversation for the greatest of all time at his position, but - outside of Ryan leaf apologists - most would call that pick a no-brainer.

The team he built around that guy became a perennial doormat for a team run by a sixth round pick surrounded by a bunch of role players.

Very easy to believe that Manning with a better team around him would have multiple rings by now.

#27 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

Look, that Colts roster deteriorated under him. He made some good picks at first but that roster was awful by the end. Like people said, that success was a product of Manning and without him it was one of the worst teams I've ever seen.

As for his time here, his first rounders were Kerry Collins, Tyrone Poole, Blake Brockemeyer, Tshimanga Biakabatuka, and Rae Carruth. He went 7-9 twice and 11-5 once. That's basically Hurney's resume with a worse first round record.

Good on him for fixing the Bills, but that just makes him a good GM, not one of the best ever.

#28 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

your opinion is skewed.

you're also basing an opinion without any knowledge of the man besides a few articles, which we both can agree have a possibility of being just as speculated about in their opinion as does your opinion which was simply formed from said articles..

I don't really care who Polian is or what he does from here on out, but let's be honest here.. I'll take a weird chance on someone who knows the man over articles and their potential bias any day. It's a neat insight if true and something different if not. At the end of the day who says that opinion is any more real than those articles..

#29 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

fug Polian! Why are we even talking about him?

#30 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

i said he had some, not none.

pay attention.

To you? Whatever on earth for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users