Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ramses Barden looking for new start. Martellus Bennett resolved to his fate

66 posts in this topic

Posted

Martellus Bennett is legit but we don't need a #1 TE, we need a complementary low salary TE. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bennett ends up in Tampa with his brother Michael.

Posted

Barden has done nothing to prove he can be a number four, let alone a number three except burn our lackluster secondary in week three. Those that want Barden spend a little to much time playing madden. The Panthers need someone to push LaFell to the next level or a guy that can come in and be our future number one... Barden is neither so to go out and throw money at him is pointless and I'd very surprised if it happened.

Bennett on the other hand would be a grade addition.

I'm not aware if Hartsock is a free agent or not, but the addition of Bennett would make him expendable while also letting us keep Barney as the third tight end (Olsen, Bennett, Barney).

Who among us would pick Barden if we actually had a choice? This is not about Madden, it's about the reality of our cap situation and a suspect receiving corps. I am not saying that we should get the Giants and Barden's agent on the phone with the quickness. But, what I am saying is that it's worth discussing. What I am saying is that if Gettleman---who presumably knows the real deal about Barden---signs him, that would be a reason for some optimism.

Posted

Martellus Bennett is legit but we don't need a #1 TE, we need a complementary low salary TE. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bennett ends up in Tampa with his brother Michael.

Some people are not convinced that he is a true TE1. Perhaps he could demand a higher salary, but I kinda doubt it. Perhaps he'd relish the thought of playing with Cam and the Panthers.

Posted

Who among us would pick Barden if we actually had a choice? This is not about Madden, it's about the reality of our cap situation and a suspect receiving corps. I am not saying that we should get the Giants and Barden's agent on the phone with the quickness. But, what I am saying is that it's worth discussing. What I am saying is that if Gettleman---who presumably knows the real deal about Barden---signs him, that would be a reason for some optimism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just going out on a limb here, but it seems like you're assuming that they go the free agency route to find a wide receiver.

I see a few guys that can be a great number three or even a very good number two in the NFL Draft that can be taken in the second or fourth round. I also see a handful of wide receiver that the Panthers could take in the first to be Smith's successor.

If the Panthers truly believe they are on the verge of the playoffs, a championship, or whatever; then look for proven veterans to come in at the vet minimum (i.e. Canty) instead of young and unproven players (i.e. Barden).

Posted

Find me 14 other wide outs who put up nearly 700 yards and four touchdowns.

Eric Decker, Lance Moore, Julio Jones, Mike Williams, Victor Cruz, Justin Blackmon, Randall Cobb, Miles Austin, Ty Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, James Jones, Sidney Rice. Antonio Brown. Andre Roberts.

All i have put up better stats that you just stated and none are number 1 receivers. I can keep going if you want.

4 people like this

Posted

Eric Decker, Lance Moore, Julio Jones, Mike Williams, Victor Cruz, Justin Blackmon, Randall Cobb, Miles Austin, Ty Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, James Jones, Sidney Rice. Antonio Brown. Andre Roberts.

All i have put up better stats that you just stated and none are number 1 receivers. I can keep going if you want.

Um... the majority of those guys are number one's...

Posted

You saved me the work.

Posted

Um... the majority of those guys are number one's...

Are you kidding me? Now you're just being silly.

Posted

Some people are not convinced that he is a true WR2. Perhaps he could demand a higher salary, but I kinda doubt it. Perhaps he'd relish the thought of playing with Cam and the Panthers.

WR2? You are talking about Martellus Bennett right? Believe me, I'm a huge fan of Bennett and would love it if we got him for a reasonable salary.

Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong, just going out on a limb here, but it seems like you're assuming that they go the free agency route to find a wide receiver.

I see a few guys that can be a great number three or even a very good number two in the NFL Draft that can be taken in the second or fourth round. I also see a handful of wide receiver that the Panthers could take in the first to be Smith's successor.

If the Panthers truly believe they are on the verge of the playoffs, a championship, or whatever; then look for proven veterans to come in at the vet minimum (i.e. Canty) instead of young and unproven players (i.e. Barden).

I don't know what we are going to do---which direction we are going. Just thinking of options.

Not saying that there aren't any, but I don't know of any WRs off the top of my head who is deemed to have WR1 potential in the draft who won't be gone by probably early, perhaps late, second round. Moreover, I don't see us picking up a guy in FA that is considered to possess that type of talent either. That being said, why not upgrade the WR2s, 3s and 4s if you can do so on the cheap?

Posted

WR2? You are talking about Martellus Bennett right? Believe me, I'm a huge fan of Bennett and would love it if we got him for a reasonable salary.

Sorry. I meant TE1. I fixed it.

Posted

I don't know what we are going to do---which direction we are going. Just thinking of options.

Not saying that there aren't any, but I don't know of any WRs off the top of my head who is deemed to have WR1 potential in the draft who won't be gone by probably early, perhaps late, second round. Moreover, I don't see us picking up a guy in FA that is considered to possess that type of talent either. That being said, why not upgrade the WR2s, 3s and 4s if you can do so on the cheap?

Because there are no WR2 or WR3 that are a significant upgrade over what we have.

Patterson, Allen, and possibly Austin (as a slot, think Smith and Welker) could all be number one's.