95 replies to this topic

#76 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Cam's stats really aren't any better than Flacco's, he certainly hasn't won a Super Bowl, nor has he even sniffed the playoffs yet, but everyone assumes he's going to get a monster contract while bemoaning Flacco's.

#Huddlelogic.

#77 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Not going to argue with someone who made up their mind long ago despite the eye test, logic and proven performance,

Don't want to pay him that kind of money, Mr. GM? Fine- he walks and Ravens fans burn your stadium to the ground and your starting QB next year is who?.

The only other QB on the roster is? Tyrod Taylor.

Let's see how long you have a job after not paying Flacco that money.

That's why you slap him with the Franchise.

#78 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Cam's stats really aren't any better than Flacco's, he certainly hasn't won a Super Bowl, nor has he even sniffed the playoffs yet, but everyone assumes he's going to get a monster contract while bemoaning Flacco's.

#Huddlelogic.

Here are the numbers from Joe Flacco's first two seasons and Cam Newton's first two seasons.

Cam Newton's first two seasons, the offense ranked on average 11th in points, 9th in yards.
Joe Flacco's first two seasons, the offense ranked on average 10th in points, 15th in yards.

Carolina's defense on averaged ranked 23rd in points and 19th in yards.
Baltimore's defense on averaged ranked 3rd in points and 2nd in yards.

% Yards Avg. TD INT Rush TD QBRating
Cam Newton (13-19) 58.9 7,920 7.9 40 29 22 85.3
Joe Flacco (20-12) 61.5 6,584 7.05 35 24 2 84.6

So based on these stats, Cam Newton's offensive numbers are superior to Joe Flacco's in the touchdown department with a +25 difference. There is no argument here as Cam is more important to Carolina's offense than Joe Flacco is to his.

The biggest difference in the teams is of course the defense. Give Cam Baltimore's defense and he would be in the playoffs two years in a row.

#79 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Not going to argue with someone who made up their mind long ago despite the eye test, logic and proven performance,

Don't want to pay him that kind of money, Mr. GM? Fine- he walks and Ravens fans burn your stadium to the ground and your starting QB next year is who?.

The only other QB on the roster is? Tyrod Taylor.

Let's see how long you have a job after not paying Flacco that money.

Oh, I would have paid him. I just wouldn't have overpaid him.

Have you seen what happens to organizations that overpay one player and then can't sign enough quality people around him to field a playoff worthy team?

#80 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 5,393 posts
  • LocationAlmost where I want to be...

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Have you seen what happens to organizations that overpay one player and then can't sign enough quality people around him to field a playoff worthy team?

Given the Raven's track record of not getting themselves into cap trouble and the relativity of what one team can afford and another team can't, I'm sure the Ravens knew exactly what they could pay.

We need to remember the team and Flacco's people all agreed to wait until the season was over until they talked contract. If that was an issue and if the money was an issue, the Ravens would have used the tag on him. They're obviously okay with the money because they didn't tag him and they didn't spend a lot of time negotiating the new deal- just a few days.

#81 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

#EliteAsFug

#82 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 15,978 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

The short-sighted, single focus, lack of big picture recognition astounds me.

Joe Flacco was drafted one spot ahead of Carolina's pick Jeff Otah in 2008. I guarantee you everyone on this board would be crying the blues this morning had he been passed over by Carolina by one pick.

Joe Flacco has started every game in his 5 years in Baltimore. None of the other "elite" QBs mentioned (Rodgers, Manning 1, Manning 2, Brady, Rothliesberger, etc) have accomplished that in the last 5 years.

Joe Flacco has led his team to the playoffs in each of his 5 seasons as the starting QB- something no other QB in the Super Bowl era has ever done.

And as far as anyone should be concerned, that's all that matters. You can't win rings unless you get to the post season and Joe Flacco has put them in a position to do just that in each of his first 5 years in the league.

2008: 11-5
2009: 12-4
2010: 12-4
2011: 12-4
2012: 10-6

Yeah, that sucks. No way he should be the highest paid QB in the league.

You all know this- if Carolina had the option to select Flacco instead of Otah and Carolina's record looked like this for the last 5 years, you'd all be screaming at JR to pay Flacco whatever he wants.

Uh, we need to get the record straight here.
In 2008 our resident idiot Marty Hurney used our 13th pick in the draft to select Jonathon Stewart just 2 years after using our #1 to select Deangelo Williams. As I said at the time Hurney should have been fired on the spot after that pick

Joe Flacco was indeed still on the board when the Panthers took Stewart.

Our asshat Hurney then proceeded to send our 2nd, 4th and 2009 1st round picks to the Eagles so he could take Otah at the 19 spot.
Again Hurney should have been canned. Yet Richardson allowed 4 plus more years of incompetence before finally showing Hurney the door.
It's mind boggling how bad ownership and management has been the last few years.

#83 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 15,978 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

It's one thing to overpay a moody, poorly motivated, underperforming Defensive End via the Franchise tag 15-20 million dollars per year, not once but twice.
It's a completely other thing to "overpay" a Top 5, clutch Quarterback the money at Football's most important position.

This would be the difference between Ozzie Newsome and Marty Hurney in a nutshell.

#84 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

No prolific passers making it to the super bowl by themselves?
Brady, Manning, Brees, Joe Montana, Dan Marino of the top of my head.

Most had subpar defenses. The QB play took them there. Brees and the saints D , Peyton and that okay D, Brady and that suspect defense last year.

agreed, and those teams are more likely to make return trips because you have to have an offense capable of coming from behind and putting a poo ton of points on the board because in an era in which the passing game is protected from mean bully defenses you absolutely cannot count on your defenses to keep offenses from scoring. if you're going to be lacking in balance between offense and defense and you want to be legit contenders every year, you are much more likely to have success being a prolific offense than "shutdown" defense. the reason for that is the cards/rules are stacked against defenses.

#85 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I hate to break it to you, but if we don't, someone will give Cam a huge contract. Plus, if we franchise him that puts his salary in top five range anyway. It's going to happen, unless Cam absolutely regresses.

Hate to break it to you, but no he want. He will stay with this team will get a reasonable contract and not the one Flacco got. I don't know what gives you the idea Cam deserves a contract like Flacco. Even 2 years from now. Unless Cam suddenly gets us into the playoffs and deep and even the SB. Unless that happen. Expect only a normal contract on his first go around. It might be around the 5 year 60-65 million range.

#86 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hate to break it to you, but no he want. He will stay with this team will get a reasonable contract and not the one Flacco got. I don't know what gives you the idea Cam deserves a contract like Flacco. Even 2 years from now. Unless Cam suddenly gets us into the playoffs and deep and even the SB. Unless that happen. Expect only a normal contract on his first go around. It might be around the 5 year 60-65 million range.

I really don't know what you or trying to say "no he won't" or "he won't want that kind of money". Contracts aren't always about what you have done, especially with the quarterback position- a lot of it is about potential. Cam has a TON of that. The Ravens didn't give Flacco 120 million because he brought them one superbowl, they gave him that because they think he is good enough to win them multiple. You don't hand out bad contracts to has been players- see Jake Delhomme. Good teams know when to move on, and when to bite on future talent.

I'm not saying Cam is going to get 120 million, but he is going get the largest contract in Panthers history to date. I guarantee it.

#87 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Cam is in top the 3 most talented players in the history of the franchise(Smith, Cam, Peppers). Unless he just totally bombs the next two seasons I see him getting a huge deal.

#88 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,012 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

yeah ...flacoo had that defense. give cam that defense and he would have probably won 2 superbowls already. good job hollywood.

also dont forget he has a good head coach and a gm thats not afraid to fire oc who underperform.

flacco is an above avg qb that has bee surrounded by a great team.

no one still gave me a qb who won a superbowl without defense in the playoffs. because they cant. i dont care how much the league is geared to favor the offense. you aint winning without defense point blank.

#89 PiratePanther

PiratePanther

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

I think the question that needs to be asked here is if Flacco were to go down with an injury and the Ravens were forced to play an entire season without him (a la the 2011 Colts), would they still be somewhat competitive or would they instantly become the worst team in the league? I guess in Baltimore's eyes it's he latter.

#90 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...ccording-source

http://msn.foxsports...e-flacco-030113

OVER PAID.

He does not deserve to be paid more than either Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees.

See, this is why I keep saying that the media now runs the NFL. It took this man 5 years to do what others like Eli and Brady did in less amount of time. Although getting to the SB is a feat in and of itself, Flaco has been in the play-offs every single year since he turned pro and has never gotten the job done. He finally does it and he's already gotten the "elite" title and money to go with it.

Let's be honest, even if Cam takes the Panthers to the SB and win in five years, I can bet there will be an intense debate over his elite status and how much money he should be making as a QB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.