Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bible (New Mini-Series)

72 posts in this topic

Posted

I agree. That was really one of the first things I noticed about the film. People have been doing movies about the Bible for a long time, and I've yet to see people of middle-eastern descent portray these characters. I wonder sometimes about that. Yet guess what, I've come to find out that Samson in this particular mini series, is black. So yeah, this film is definitely not accurate.

"The ancient Egyptians were true Negroes of the same type as all native born Africans. That being so, we can see how their blood mixed for several centuries with that of the Romans and Greeks, must have lost the intensity of it's original color, while retaining none the less the imprint of it's original mold. We can even state as a general principle that the face (referring to The Sphinx) is a kind of monument able, in many cases, to attest to or shed light on historical evidence on the origins of the people."

-Anthropologist, Count Constatin de Volney

In reference to Samson being black. Nearly all persons in the bible described as Hebrew would likely have been African black until the very height of the Roman Empire. Interesting how the only non-black Africans live exactly within the boundaries of the old Roman Empire

Posted

*Man talks to a burning bush*

"This is SOOOOO inaccurate, none of these guys are middle eastern. Don't they care about realism?"

Posted

Brought to you by the same network as:

tumblr_mavqx72Tew1rg0c3ao1_500.jpg

But, Ancient Astronaut theory could actually be viewed as having more historical evidence.

Posted

Even hoping to one day have a video game based on the Bible. ^_^

biblemasturbate2.gif

Posted

Even hoping to one day have a video game based on the Bible. ^_^

Posted

"The ancient Egyptians were true Negroes of the same type as all native born Africans. That being so, we can see how their blood mixed for several centuries with that of the Romans and Greeks, must have lost the intensity of it's original color, while retaining none the less the imprint of it's original mold. We can even state as a general principle that the face (referring to The Sphinx) is a kind of monument able, in many cases, to attest to or shed light on historical evidence on the origins of the people."

-Anthropologist, Count Constatin de Volney

In reference to Samson being black. Nearly all persons in the bible described as Hebrew would likely have been African black until the very height of the Roman Empire. Interesting how the only non-black Africans live exactly within the boundaries of the old Roman Empire

The people in north Africa back then and now are a mix of arabic and black african peoples. Now the desert seperates the south part of Africa from the north, and it's in sub-sahara africa where most people of darker skin live. So north Africa was pretty much part of the middle-east in terms of ethnicity, only Ethopia mostly had people of darker skin. (Back then Nubia if I'm not mistaken) So the people of ancient Egypt were mostly of arabic origin, but there was really a mix there.

As for Samson and the Hebrew people, there defintiely almost purely of middle-eastern descent. Abraham came from the land of Ur, which we believe is modern day Iran if I'm not mistaken again. The only way for black african people to have been part of the Israelites, is when they came up in the mix multitude that left with Israel during the Exodus. Yet then, they weren't of sub-saharan skin tone, but mostly mix. I seriously doubt Samson was black.

Posted

">

Posted

The people in north Africa back then and now are a mix of arabic and black african peoples. Now the desert seperates the south part of Africa from the north, and it's in sub-sahara africa where most people of darker skin live. So north Africa was pretty much part of the middle-east in terms of ethnicity, only Ethopia mostly had people of darker skin. (Back then Nubia if I'm not mistaken) So the people of ancient Egypt were mostly of arabic origin, but there was really a mix there.

As for Samson and the Hebrew people, there defintiely almost purely of middle-eastern descent. Abraham came from the land of Ur, which we believe is modern day Iran if I'm not mistaken again. The only way for black african people to have been part of the Israelites, is when they came up in the mix multitude that left with Israel during the Exodus. Yet then, they weren't of sub-saharan skin tone, but mostly mix. I seriously doubt Samson was black.

When speaking of ancient people, we commonly mix scripture with history. But lets separate them for a second.

The scripture tells us that the Hebrew people originated in and around what is now southern Israel and moved to Egypt at the behest of Jacob to escape famine. Meaning they originated in what is now Jordan and northern Saudi Arabia.

In the Bible there are many references to how the Hebrew/Israelites were often mistaken for or looked like Egyptians.

Acts 21:38 Paul mistaken for an Egyptian

Exodus 2:16-19 The priest of Midian speaking to his daughters about Moses watering their flock.

Matthew 2:13 Angel of the Lord tells Joseph to take Jesus and Mary and hide in Egypt.

So now to history. There is no record of who the Iraelites were until after the Exodus, but the wars fought along the way to Jerusalem are well documented.

Now when people think of a middle eastern man or woman they think of what they see today on tv. Light-brown skinned people with generally straight black hair. We agree that they were in Egypt and that they looked like Egyptians or middle easterners but how did the people of the area describe themselves

post-11341-0-38418300-1362328523_thumb.jpost-11341-0-99752800-1362328529_thumb.jpost-11341-0-30845900-1362328536_thumb.jpost-11341-0-03438900-1362328546_thumb.jpost-11341-0-90768800-1362328553_thumb.j

These are all pictures from the time of Seti I who is commonly recognized as the pharoah of the old testament. Now the Egyptians had a great ability to mix colors and could have easily described themselves as lighter skinned people if they so chose as evidenced by the the instances of both very dark and very light people throughout all their artwork. But when they describe themselves the use that deep brown tone. Post Roman Empire saw a different mix of colors in the artwork.

Below is an ancient Sumerian depictian of a man and a bullpost-11341-0-00367400-1362329190_thumb.j

That was how the middle easterners described themselves.

Below you will find a picture of a modern Egyptian from the lower(northern) Egypt.post-11341-0-30948300-1362330121_thumb.j

Below are pictures of modern Ethiopians and modern Egyptians that do not live near Cairo.

post-11341-0-99067000-1362329722_thumb.jpost-11341-0-50743100-1362329733_thumb.jpost-11341-0-89562400-1362329751_thumb.j

Think about it. It is commonly accepted that Black people are black because of a reaction to the Sun causing an increase in melanin. Well the middle east is among the hottest and most sun drenched place on earth. It would not be possible for a lighter skinned race to survive without relatively modern comforts or ways to protect themselves from the sun. They would burn up and likely die out from cancer in just a few generations.

post-11341-0-50088000-1362329801_thumb.j

Posted

There are a lot of inaccuracies right off the bat

That would be... fitting. The Bible contains many itself right off the bat.

Posted

When speaking of ancient people, we commonly mix scripture with history. But lets separate them for a second.

The scripture tells us that the Hebrew people originated in and around what is now southern Israel and moved to Egypt at the behest of Jacob to escape famine. Meaning they originated in what is now Jordan and northern Saudi Arabia.

In the Bible there are many references to how the Hebrew/Israelites were often mistaken for or looked like Egyptians.

Acts 21:38 Paul mistaken for an Egyptian

Exodus 2:16-19 The priest of Midian speaking to his daughters about Moses watering their flock.

Matthew 2:13 Angel of the Lord tells Joseph to take Jesus and Mary and hide in Egypt.

So now to history. There is no record of who the Iraelites were until after the Exodus, but the wars fought along the way to Jerusalem are well documented.

Now when people think of a middle eastern man or woman they think of what they see today on tv. Light-brown skinned people with generally straight black hair. We agree that they were in Egypt and that they looked like Egyptians or middle easterners but how did the people of the area describe themselves

post-11341-0-38418300-1362328523_thumb.jpost-11341-0-99752800-1362328529_thumb.jpost-11341-0-30845900-1362328536_thumb.jpost-11341-0-03438900-1362328546_thumb.jpost-11341-0-90768800-1362328553_thumb.j

These are all pictures from the time of Seti I who is commonly recognized as the pharoah of the old testament. Now the Egyptians had a great ability to mix colors and could have easily described themselves as lighter skinned people if they so chose as evidenced by the the instances of both very dark and very light people throughout all their artwork. But when they describe themselves the use that deep brown tone. Post Roman Empire saw a different mix of colors in the artwork.

Below is an ancient Sumerian depictian of a man and a bullpost-11341-0-00367400-1362329190_thumb.j

That was how the middle easterners described themselves.

Below you will find a picture of a modern Egyptian from the lower(northern) Egypt.post-11341-0-30948300-1362330121_thumb.j

Below are pictures of modern Ethiopians and modern Egyptians that do not live near Cairo.

post-11341-0-99067000-1362329722_thumb.jpost-11341-0-50743100-1362329733_thumb.jpost-11341-0-89562400-1362329751_thumb.j

Think about it. It is commonly accepted that Black people are black because of a reaction to the Sun causing an increase in melanin. Well the middle east is among the hottest and most sun drenched place on earth. It would not be possible for a lighter skinned race to survive without relatively modern comforts or ways to protect themselves from the sun. They would burn up and likely die out from cancer in just a few generations.

I agree with most of what you said. (When I talk on the Israelite origins, I usually go back to Abraham, and he came out of Iran.) Certainly we know that Nubia (which I mistakenly said was modern day Ethiopia, but is modern day Sudan) even took control over Egypt. Yet the Israelites wouldn't have had a sub-saharan skin tone. I believe they would have had a dark brown complexion like this...

A_Bedouin_Arab_137.jpg

Yet for this film, Samson is portrayed like this...

Bible_Samson-and-mother1.jpg

Now I don't know 100%, but if I were a betting man, I would have to say Samson didn't look like this.

Posted

I agree with most of what you said. (When I talk on the Israelite origins, I usually go back to Abraham, and he came out of Iran.) Certainly we know that Nubia (which I mistakenly said was modern day Ethiopia, but is modern day Sudan) even took control over Egypt. Yet the Israelites wouldn't have had a sub-saharan skin tone. I believe they would have had a dark brown complexion like this...

A_Bedouin_Arab_137.jpg

Yet for this film, Samson is portrayed like this...

Bible_Samson-and-mother1.jpg

Now I don't know 100%, but if I were a betting man, I would have to say Samson didn't look like this.

Not to be difficult, but as the first one is a painting I cant really see much difference in the skin tone. But in fairness I recognize the point you are making and the show has definitely demonstrated a lack of concern for the skin tone of the characters. I will say this though, of all the other people in the series at least he is dark enough to have actually survived in the area during the time period. and his hair is in locks which is often used to describe Samsons hair.

Posted

Whether he was from Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Egypt, his skin tone would likely have been quite dark. Much darker than what I think you believe. The further away from Rome you get the darker the complexion gets until you get to India which is in reverse to what would be an expected trend if people migrated from Africa. But once again those previously under the rule of the Romans are lighter.

Now about the subsaharan skin-tone. There really isn't one. Outside of Roman influence yet still north of the Sahara you will find people that run the gamet of even the darkest of skin tones. IOT tell the difference between the ethnicities you must look at other traits like, facial shape, hair and nose characteristics.

For example West Africans (post-11341-0-54171500-1362341137_thumb.jpost-11341-0-26286500-1362341142_thumb.jpost-11341-0-84153800-1362341146_thumb.jpost-11341-0-63809600-1362341153_thumb.jpost-11341-0-45025600-1362341162_thumb.jor what most westerners attribute as sub-saharan Africans)

and East Africans (which includes upper(southern) Egypt and Northern Sudan both of which is above the Saharan)post-11341-0-76108700-1362341270_thumb.jpost-11341-0-75539900-1362341277_thumb.jpost-11341-0-98127000-1362341288_thumb.jpost-11341-0-44358000-1362341298_thumb.jpost-11341-0-65940200-1362341305_thumb.j there is no skin tone difference

Now outside of Africa

India being the furthest you can get and still be technically "middle east" should serve as a basis to for what should be considered the "lightest" a middle easterner would be.

(note: 100's of years of British colonization saw a cultural shift to seek out the lightest mates thus creating an upper middle class that is considerably lighter than the rest of the population. IOT to find the true ancestral skin tone without focused breeding you should focus on the middle to lower income people.)post-11341-0-58226200-1362342450_thumb.jpost-11341-0-36242800-1362342459_thumb.j

And I want to add this one for a little perspective.

post-11341-0-67348300-1362342554_thumb.j

Remember that something like 95% of the natives in America were killed off, but some pictures of the originals still survived and several of them show people that are quite dark. I dont mean to imply that they are African, merely to highlight the vastly more common dark skin tone as opposed to lighter ones during the ancient world.