Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bible (New Mini-Series)

72 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Good and interesting finds guys. I do hope that the skin color of Jesus isn't a dealbreaker for anyone. I mean if so that's racist.

That is why the bible does a great job of making the emphasis on Jesus' life and nothing external. Except for one passage in Isiah where it sas Jesus appearance wasn't such that was disticintive in any way. And that's how it should be. I have zero issue with Jesu being olive skinned or much darker. I also have zero issues with a blue eyed guy playing Jesus.

Where I have isues is when the correct details etc get creative licensed out and the true spirit and thrust of the message gets lost.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carpantherfan84' timestamp='1362339230' post='2150263']
Not to be difficult, but as the first one is a painting I cant really see much difference in the skin tone. But in fairness I recognize the point you are making and the show has definitely demonstrated a lack of concern for the skin tone of the characters. I will say this though, of all the other people in the series at least he is dark enough to have actually survived in the area during the time period. and his hair is in locks which is often used to describe Samsons hair.
[/quote]

Here's a couple of photographs with the complexion I have in mind...

[img]http://www.bedawi.com/Tarrabin%20Bedouin%20hospitality.jpg[/img]

[img]http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/pacofurio/pacofurio0906/pacofurio090600023/5027987-bedouin-talking-by-phone.jpg[/img]

[img]http://beirutorbust.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/52-bedouin-girl-yes11.jpg[/img]

With also darker tones as well. Yet we agree, in fact Egpyt was literally a mix of society as a whole.

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1362346416' post='2150324']
Good and interesting finds guys. I do hope that the skin color of Jesus isn't a dealbreaker for anyone. I mean if so that's racist.

That is why the bible does a great job of making the emphasis on Jesus' life and nothing external. Except for one passage in Isiah where it sas Jesus appearance wasn't such that was disticintive in any way. And that's how it should be. I have zero issue with Jesu being olive skinned or much darker. I also have zero issues with a blue eyed guy playing Jesus.

Where I have isues is when the correct details etc get creative licensed out and the true spirit and thrust of the message gets lost.
[/quote]

I agree with what your saying, and I'm not saying God couldn't use a mini-series like this to encourage believers to look into their faith and be excited. Nor that God couldn't use it to reach the world with His message. Yet nothing would bring about more excitement in a believer, than to know more about the origin of their faith. The full origin. I bet you if they had people of dark skinned, middle-eastern descent playing these roles, there would be many Christians (most Christians by the way are very traditional, that is in the traditions of western Christianity) who would have a hard time watching it. If we saw a portrait of an east asian Jesus, people would have a problem with that. It would be the same if we had a portrait of the more accurate, dark brown skinned Jesus.

Yet with all that aside, it would be better to portray Jesus as accurate as possible in terms of how He look. It stregnthens us to know the culture, so we can understand the terminology within the Bible. It also brings us together, because there are many churches that are pretty much segregated. Yes, my Savior is of middle-eastern descent, so I have no problems hanging out with by brethren who are middle-eastern.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Matthias' timestamp='1362352042' post='2150360']

Here's a couple of photographs with the complexion I have in mind...

With also darker tones as well. Yet we agree, in fact Egpyt was literally a mix of society as a whole.
[/quote]

I am curious to know where the people pictured are from. I purposefully left out Egyptians from lower (northern) Egypt and middle easterners that fell within the old Roman Empire. My reasoning is that there is no way to prove that they are not descendants of Romans as opposed to ancient Egyptians. You can not possibly believe that a skin tone that light could have originated in an Area that receives that much sun? No other desert in the world has native light skinned people. Why would this be any different. This includes the Artic (Inuit) and the the ancient inhabitants of Siberia both of which qualify as a desert and receive inordinate amounts of solar rays thus activating the production of melanin. I am not dismissing the people in the photograph, they may in fact be descendants of the original groups of the area but it is doubtful that they look like them. Most black Americans trace at least a part of their ancestry to Europe (average of 22% heritage) as does a large portion of white Americans trace a portion of their history to Native americans or Africa. But I wouldn't use a black man to represent ancient Europeans no matter what his DNA said his ancestors were.

[quote name='Matthias' timestamp='1362352042' post='2150360']I agree with what your saying, and I'm not saying God couldn't use a mini-series like this to encourage believers to look into their faith and be excited. Nor that God couldn't use it to reach the world with His message. Yet nothing would bring about more excitement in a believer, than to know more about the origin of their faith. The full origin. [b]I bet you if they had people of dark skinned, middle-eastern descent playing these roles, there would be many Christians (most Christians by the way are very traditional, that is in the traditions of western Christianity) who would have a hard time watching it[/b]. If we saw a portrait of an east asian Jesus, people would have a problem with that. It would be the same if we had a portrait of the more accurate, dark brown skinned Jesus.

Yet with all that aside, it would be better to portray Jesus as accurate as possible in terms of how He look. It stregnthens us to know the culture, so we can understand the terminology within the Bible. It also brings us together, because there are many churches that are pretty much segregated. Yes, my Savior is of middle-eastern descent, so I have no problems hanging out with by brethren who are middle-eastern.
[/quote]

I wish this was posted in the one I made earlier asking this question. But in light of the conversations going on over there I am inclined to agree with that statement.

Posted · Report post

guys, with all due respect, don't major in the minors here. when some of the disciples approached Paul about some groups preaching in Jesus' name but weren't part of the original 12 etc, he goes whether with false motives or pure, at least Christ is being preached.

Paul understood the big picture and what was most important. by no means is there anything wrong with understanding the culture of Jesus to get a good picture of him. but what he said and what he did stands paramount to his skin color or the clothes that he wore.

Jesus himself was superb at knowing how to discern not only right and wrong issues, but what is best in handling something. at times, looking at things from a right or wrong lense can paint one into a corner. but looking at it from a what is best perspective can be more productive.

if you want to do some homework and really stir the pot AND make a much more significant impact, let's talk about why we STILL have churches in 2013 that have either just one race or one socio economic background. i'm pretty certain those congregations wouldn't like many of Jesus' sermons on unity and forgiveness and brotherhood.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1362364361' post='2150506']if you want to do some homework and really stir the pot AND make a much more significant impact, let's talk about why we STILL have churches in 2013 that have either just one race or one socio economic background. i'm pretty certain those congregations wouldn't like many of Jesus' sermons on unity and forgiveness and brotherhood.
[/quote]

agree

Posted · Report post

So the preferred complexion to guyz here is a bible where Halle Berry and Lenny Kravitz is cast. Otay.

When Jesus was eluding the Roman soliders he ran off in the city and blended in with the crowd...which was not full of guys that look like The Allman Brothers.

Sorry if Sampson is cast too ethnic for your tastes.

..and now deep thoughts by the Tinderbox Bible enthuisiasts "I agree that Jesus and the other characters of the bible are darker But maybe an OLIVE! or a REALLY LIGHT BROWN ONLY! Any darker and they are a painting in the show "Good Times". ...and we cant have that. "

Posted · Report post

I don't think anyone honestly cares... I hope I'm not wrong

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1362346416' post='2150324']
[b]Except for one passage in Isiah[/b] where it sas Jesus appearance wasn't such that was disticintive in any way. And that's how it should be. I have zero issue with Jesu being olive skinned or much darker. I also have zero issues with a blue eyed guy playing Jesus.

[/quote]

Isaiah 53 is about Isreal (mainly those exiled in Babylon) not Jesus.

Posted · Report post

I think you say this implying that the be all end all answer to it racism when that certainly isn't the case

Location and service style are the two biggest factors and it's not even close

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1362364361' post='2150506']
guys, with all due respect, don't major in the minors here. when some of the disciples approached Paul about some groups preaching in Jesus' name but weren't part of the original 12 etc, he goes whether with false motives or pure, at least Christ is being preached.

Paul understood the big picture and what was most important. by no means is there anything wrong with understanding the culture of Jesus to get a good picture of him. but what he said and what he did stands paramount to his skin color or the clothes that he wore.

Jesus himself was superb at knowing how to discern not only right and wrong issues, but what is best in handling something. at times, looking at things from a right or wrong lense can paint one into a corner. but looking at it from a what is best perspective can be more productive.

if you want to do some homework and really stir the pot AND make a much more significant impact, let's talk about why we STILL have churches in 2013 that have either just one race or one socio economic background. i'm pretty certain those congregations wouldn't like many of Jesus' sermons on unity and forgiveness and brotherhood.
[/quote]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1362364361' post='2150506']

[/quote]

And of course Paul wasn't apart of the orginal 12 and never met Jesus. Try reconciling Paul's version in Galatians with what's written in Acts regarding his ministry and what theology is important.

edit: You'll find that the skin on a man's penis mattered a hell of a lot. Some early leaders didn't think they should eat at the same table as an uncircumsied man.

Posted · Report post

Some folks have reasons for their posts.
Some folks don't.
Funny

Posted · Report post

So is this thread on the miniseries?

Those angels in Soddom were right out of the movie 300