142 replies to this topic

#16 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Reread the rest of that particular post, if you dont believe you really have nothing to contribute.

except that this is a message board on the internet where I can call out bullshit ideas when I see them...

you're obviously trolling for racism or something... nobody really gives a poo what color Jesus or any other "biblical" figure was because it isn't important in their interpretation of their personal dogma... IF they act like they do and argue for or against a particular case of someone's race... then they have underlying racism issues...

#17 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Before this goes to far off topic, I want to clarify my point because I probably wasnt clear. I dont want to single out any specific figure in the Bible. I merely want to address the commonality to portray them all innaccurately. The teachings are obviously sacred to a large number of people (myself included) and I want to hear (read) how people feel about this fact. We get so much from this group of people and this area of the world, not just 3 of the worlds most predominate religions but also the basis for modern astronomy, astrology, math and science. For the non religious, not mentioning any names (Bronn :) ) the founding fathers of this nation held them in very high esteem along with Freemasons and other secret and fraternal organizations. It seems like a GRAVE injustice to not remember them as they were. Not to dance around the issue, it would seem that the faces were changed because they had a problem with the originals.

#18 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,844 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

i think the point of this post is that we tend to analyze biblical texts in the framework of our own time and culture rather than in the context of its production. understanding jesus as a nordic hottie is a microcosm of one of the biggest problems facing biblical interpretation, and that's the inability to separate the frameworks through which the bible is interpreted. this is why biblical literalism is so dangerous

#19 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

except that this is a message board on the internet where I can call out bullshit ideas when I see them...

Im confused about what is the bullshit idea...

you're obviously trolling for racism or something... nobody really gives a poo what color Jesus or any other "biblical" figure was because it isn't important in their interpretation of their personal dogma... IF they act like they do and argue for or against a particular case of someone's race... then they have underlying racism issues...

Is it possible that I have underlying race issues, I guess anything is possible however I have been in an interracial marriage for 6 years with 2 children. But I will admit that American racial dynamics are interesting to me and I do highlight them when I can. Denial or ignoring is not good way to resolve an issue and America definitely still has issues. They may be different than 150, 100, or even 50 years ago but they are issues none the less. I am sure some whites in America are feeling discriminated against or they may feel that they are being guilt tripped with slavery or even forcefed racial sensitivity. I got all that. I think that it is just another part of the complexity of race relations in America. That is why it is important to be as accurate as possible when describing history. It helps to create a balance.

But once again this was not the purpose of my OP. I dont mind talking about it with you, unless all you are looking for is someone to throw insults at, just not here.

#20 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

i think the point of this post is that we tend to analyze biblical texts in the framework of our own time and culture rather than in the context of its production. understanding jesus as a nordic hottie is a microcosm of one of the biggest problems facing biblical interpretation, and that's the inability to separate the frameworks through which the bible is interpreted. this is why biblical literalism is so dangerous

That is very close to the direction I was hoping to go. However, I also wonder how the dynamics of modern Judao-Christian practices would change if the faces became more historically accurate. Prior to just a few hundred years ago you would not have seen such inaccuracies in their portrayal, for example a coin from the time of the Roman Emperor Justinian shows both a straight haired Roman and a curly haired Jesus.

I believe the innaccurate portrayal has a deep psychological impact on both believers and non believers as evidenced by the lack of willingness to change it.

#21 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

Are you being serious?

Yeah, and his last name is Hong, Jesus Hong. He said he doesn't know where everyone got Christ.

#22 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

astrology

Not even going to touch the Founding Fathers comment, that you lumped astrology in with ACTUAL science renders your whole point invalid.

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Okay, let's play.

Let's go one step further and talk about the DNA that Jesus had? Jewish? How so? Asian, Black, White?

Why? Does a "surrogate" mother child look like her?

#24 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

A lot of Christians translate scripture to their interpretation so they can use it the way they want.

Just like how all of the pictures of Jesus, Noah, Moses, Kane, Abel, and anyone else that lived in the ancient Middle East is portrayed as white.

Iirc Jesus began to be portrayed as white when the Catholic Church was showing off the image to other Romans as well as Vikings that they wanted to testify to.

#25 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Ya mean Jesus wasn't an Earnhardt fan?

Ahh the things that grind peoples gears. The movies is the correctz portryal of za bible.

Enjoy the bitter vitriol buffet fellas. I'll pass on the stupid salad and enjoy my day and see what my Charlton Heston Jesus wants to do.
Good to know there are people out there who don't stereotype other people then start a thread about them.

#26 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Agreed. How Jesus looks throughout the ages in paintings, etc., was never the point.

#27 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

A lot of Christians translate scripture to their interpretation so they can use it the way they want.

Just like how all of the pictures of Jesus, Noah, Moses, Kane, Abel, and anyone else that lived in the ancient Middle East is portrayed as white.

Iirc Jesus began to be portrayed as white when the Catholic Church was showing off the image to other Romans as well as Vikings that they wanted to testify to.

Agreed. How Jesus looks throughout the ages in paintings, etc., was never the point.

So we can agree that it has been done wrongly. Religion is a strong part of how one describes hisself. So i wonder would making it more accurate cause people to cease being Christians? Would a black moses turn a Jewish man into an unorthodox. If we have really come so far so many keep saying why is this still the same. You would think that the truly devout would be more concerned with honoring the true people in the story as opposed to satisfying their own comfort level.

#28 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,230 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

This thread is worse than Kilgos

#29 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

First of all there is no reason to think that Jesus even existed in the first place.

If Jesus were omnipotent he would be able to appear as whatever he wished and it could be a different appearance for each observer.

#30 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Okay, let's play.

Let's go one step further and talk about the DNA that Jesus had? Jewish? How so? Asian, Black, White?

Why? Does a "surrogate" mother child look like her?

So your point is that... yhwh is white?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com