Photo
- - - - -

Is the BPA philosophy really valid given the rookie contracts (CBA)?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

Let me start by saying how can teams like the panthers that have multiple holes to fill follow the BPA philosophy in the draft with the new CBA in place ? Unless a player is really elite why would you pick a position like safety when they cost less than say a QB, CB DE or LOT in the FA Market? The same could be said for 4-3 LBs,RBs,OG.s and etc.Last year we did with Luke but in my book he was elite..
For example,are Kenny V at safety and Chance Womack at guard elite enough to draft over positions like CB left OT,and DE which are so costly in the FA market ?. This may mean nothing but I have never seen such a deep draft for the dt position at the same time as an extremely deep FA market for DT. Could this new CBA agreement be a way to purge these outrageous contracts at expensive positions ?

#2 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Cause gettleman said that he would position us to be able to pick the BPA through free agency, so its all conditional.

#3 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,569 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

To me you would draft those positions that are the least expensive to fill during FA and draft the most expensive positions with the draft with the exception if one is an elite prospect (once in a five year talent) like Luke.

#4 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

It will be interesting to see come april. We just got to give gettleman time, hes just begun and has us already in the black when we were staring at 13 million dollars of dead money.

#5 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

BPA means you don't take a lesser talent simply for immediate need; however, if both players are of comparable or equal talent, then you take the need.

#6 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Truly drafting BPA is a stupid concept. You could end up with 7 centers in the draft. Of course the talent on your team is going to influence your draft. To say otherwise is just dumb. But, not reaching to draft needs is another concept. This requires positioning yourself via free agency and trades to take advantage of draft strengths and weaknesses.

Financial incentive caused by the rookie wage scale is a fantastic new concept! I am sure smart GM's are going to take full advantage of this. I am confident that Gettleman will consider this. He has not given me a reason to doubt yet.

#7 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

BPA isn't as cut and dry as it sounds.

Need, scheme, etc all distort who is BPA for a specific team

#8 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

The thing about drafting a position like safety versus DT and considering the cost difference would surely be a factor for me. I don't know if that applies to Gettleman as well. Still the argument could be made that the top safety in the draft like Barron last year might cost more than the average safety come FA time. Likewise the third or fourth rated DT might not come at such a high premium compared to the top safety. More perhaps but no t so much that it would keep you from drafting at another position.

#9 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Whatever decision we make, it will probably be the wrong one. That's the Panther way.

#10 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Whatever decision we make, it will probably be the wrong one. That's the Panther way.

Thats right. We always screw up, particularly in the first. Especially lately..... Wait........ what?????

We had the offensive rookie player of the year 2 years ago and this past year the defensive rookie of the year.......................

As Emily Latella would say..........

Nevermind.........

#11 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

I read this in an Eeyore voice and added a "why bother"

#12 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,920 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, BPA is usually BPA according to what needs you have.

#13 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,352 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

BPA is always based off need and your scheme. That's why BPA is always different for each team.

#14 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,569 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

BPA is always based off need and your scheme. That's why BPA is always different for each team.

It is more than just BPA. The CBA should make you think about the position you are drafting in the first rounds with the exception of elite players at there positions.My feeling is you want to draft the most expensive players at their perspective positions such at QB,DE,Left OT or OLB (3-4 defenses) etc..the cost differential is immense.

#15 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

It is more than just BPA. The CBA should make you think about the position you are drafting in the first rounds with the exception of elite players at there positions.My feeling is you want to draft the most expensive players at their perspective positions such at QB,DE,Left OT or OLB (3-4 defenses) etc..the cost differential is immense.

I don't know that cost would be a deciding factor when deciding who you are taking. You need an immediate impact player like the past 2 years or a lineman who can develop into a franchise player to come for Edwards if we resign him or Gross if we decide to look on the other side of the ball. The focus is finding the best player you can who will be an impact can't miss rookie at his position or someone who can develop into a solid starter for a decade. The fact that he is a LT or DE means you get him cheap for a few years and then have to pay the big bucks or you have to constantly reshuffle the deck and discard players instead of pay them. if you draft a safety high it won't ever break the bank and you have found a linchpin on defense like the next Ed Reed. Plus at 14 for example if you pick a guy who is not a lineman at many positions you are likely getting the number 1 guy in the draft at his position. The best in the country. Might be worth that high pick if he works out.
This year their might be more tackles on the market in FA than usual. I figure it might drive down the price. Who knows this early, cuts aren't over yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.