• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31 tukafan21

tukafan21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

you guys don't think her injury caused the 13 and 19 yard kicks?

Nope, not in the slightest

Could it have hurt a little bit?

yes

but if she at all deserved to be there, she still would have kicked it further, injury or not

#32 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Complete stunt. Pretty sure I know a little about about athletics, and if you're injured, kicking without warming up would be the absolute worst thing you could do. Kicker would be the only position a female could ever have a chance at in the NFL, and even that is impossible.

#33 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

There are a ton of accomplished college kickers with actual game experience who would've loved to have had that opportunity yet this lady was brought in to get a couple of headlines. That's just sad.

#34 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Typical attention wh0re... Bet she has a "rape story" too.

#35 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,683 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

I think it's about time for a break from the huddle

#36 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Typical attention wh0re... Bet she has a "rape story" too.

Ohhh lawd.

#37 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

I keed, I keed...

Just wanted to post the typical chauvinistic response. That being said, in all seriousness, I do believe it was a publicity stunt from the jump.

#38 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Publicity stunt or not that doesn't mean let's all make broad generalizations based on one instance.

#39 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,563 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

I doubt she'd have gotten the tryout if she hadn't shown the ability to kick past 20 yards before.

My guess, the injury caused the issues. It happens.

Didn't really expect her to make it anyway, but oh well...

#40 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

Somewhere, JJ Jansen is disappointed that his fantasy kicker didn't make the cut.

#41 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Publicity stunt or not that doesn't mean let's all make broad generalizations based on one instance.

Understandable. No we shouldn't. That being said, sometimes it's okay to make jokes or laugh at something that was clearly a joke to begin with. It's alright to turn the PC-meter off every now and then. Sometimes I seriously wonder if people on here would even crack a smile at a Dave Chappelle stand-up.

#42 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Female kicker... fantasy team... hmm, I bet there's a good joke in there somewhere.

But seriously though, I don't really know what to think about this. It's either just horrible timing that potentially the first female NFL player gets an injury right before her tryout, or it was just a sham to begin with.

Like someone else said, why would she be doing push ups instead of practicing her kicking form before her kick attempts? But I'm sure someone had to vouch for her down the line for her to get the try out to begin with.

#43 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I doubt she'd have gotten the tryout if she hadn't shown the ability to kick past 20 yards before.

My guess, the injury caused the issues. It happens.

Didn't really expect her to make it anyway, but oh well...

Incorrect.

This is why I truly believe it was for publicity from the jump...

From an article on ESPNw (which is ESPN for women and I had no idea that it existed):

Silberman doesn't have the kind of athletic experience that usually precedes a tryout like this. Her background is in soccer, specifically club soccer at the University of Wisconsin. She has never played football.
Still, she paid the $275 fee to register and NFL director of regional combines Stephen Austin said applicants weren't assessed before any of the 10 regional combines.
"We don't have time for that," Austin said.
The NFL allows anyone to register for the combines, and in the three years since they began, players have made it to the NFL, like St. Louis Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein. The only combine stipulations, provided spots are available, are that applicants meet the application deadline and are eligible for NFL draft. If any questions arise about a player, the NFL would contact the player directly, according to NFL spokesperson Rob McBurnett.

So to whoever said earlier in the thread that they were mad b/c she got a tryout and they never will... WRONG. You have $275, you have a tryout. Have at it. But make sure your quads are ready for the push-ups and crunches.

Also, there is this:

During two warmup periods, Silberman did not kick a single ball. She said she was holding off because of the injury.
When her turn came, it took her more than 20 seconds to set the ball on the tee for her first kick. Silberman then went through an unusual set up, taking eight or so steps backward, followed by four or five steps sideways, before running to the ball.
"The distance wasn't there but hopefully the scouts will notice my technique," Silberman said. "It's not always length."
After her day was finished, she was asked how far she has kicked a ball in practice.
"It's still hard to exactly say," Silberman said. "Just gotten better day by day and the distance is getting there."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/9010372/espnw-lauren-silberman-nfl-combine-tryout-ends-two-short-kicks

And one of the reporters there tweeted that he felt like it was clearly a sham. Someone tweeted back to him some crap insinuating he was discounting her b/c she was a female and he doesn't know whether she was injured or not, blah blah blah... The reporter tweeted back, "I was there and you weren't." You can tell by her answers that it was a joke.

#44 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

Understandable. No we shouldn't. That being said, sometimes it's okay to make jokes or laugh at something that was clearly a joke to begin with. It's alright to turn the PC-meter off every now and then. Sometimes I seriously wonder if people on here would even crack a smile at a Dave Chappelle stand-up.

Indeed. I wasn't directing that at your post, I know you were joking. Others though, who knows.

#45 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Indeed. I wasn't directing that at your post, I know you were joking. Others though, who knows.

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was a good post to branch off of. No problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com