Photo
- - - - -

Which 2013 O-Line combo gives us the best chance to win more that 7 games?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I would like to start off with 7 gradually working any draft picks into the rotation until they are clearly better. In the meantime I would be fine with picking up a few FA veterans as well. We tried starting rookies with Bell in 2011 and Silatolu in 2012 and each time it held us back. I don't like starting rookies unless we have to. We have been spoiled with Newton and Kuechly assuming every number 1 pick will be awesome and that is actually the exception year 1 not the norm.

#32 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

My only concern with him is you can't fix stupid and apparently he is not the sharpest knife of the bunch.

Learning disability and stupid are two different things. The guy scored a 18 on the Wonderlic, which isn't amazing of course, but for a guy that plays O-Line and has a disability, is more then sufficient.

#33 Green Eggs and Cam

Green Eggs and Cam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

#4 for me. I really hope one of the LT's is still on the board when we pick. I like the Vasquez signing too. A right side with Vasquez and Johnson would be miles ahead of Hangman and Bell.

#34 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thomas-Warmack-Kalil-Evans-Vollmer

#35 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

And address LT next year?

Yep. Gross is still solid. Amini not being a green rookie will allow Gross not to look so bad, b/c he wasn't.

If they draft a future LT he should start at RT (like Gross did to begin his career). Get the most out of Gross and try to improve at RT.

#36 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,295 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

best option...

Gross, Amini, Kalil, FA, FA.

my vote.

#37 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Since I'm on the Star L. bandwagon...

Gross-Amini-Kalil-FA-Bell

#38 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,295 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yep. Gross is still solid. Amini not being a green rookie will allow Gross not to look so bad, b/c he wasn't.

If they draft a future LT he should start at RT (like Gross did to begin his career). Get the most out of Gross and try to improve at RT.

agreed again.

i really don't like the idea of another green rookie starting again on the OL....esp. next to another green player like amini.

#39 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Since I'm on the Star L. bandwagon...

Gross-Amini-Kalil-FA-Bell

If it meant getting Star I'd be all over that. Silatolu should make strides next year and Bell is okay. RT should be upgraded eventually, but if we get a better option at RG it should help him out. Getting Kalil back will be a big bonus too.

#40 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

agreed again.

i really don't like the idea of another green rookie starting again on the OL....esp. next to another green player like amini.

exactly. You can't get rid of Gross and start a rookie LT. Cam simply won't make it even if you improve the right side. Left side would be a death wish for 2013.

If we draft Gross' replacement, we keep Gross and give him Bell's work.

#41 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,295 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I would like to start off with 7 gradually working any draft picks into the rotation until they are clearly better. In the meantime I would be fine with picking up a few FA veterans as well. We tried starting rookies with Bell in 2011 and Silatolu in 2012 and each time it held us back. I don't like starting rookies unless we have to. We have been spoiled with Newton and Kuechly assuming every number 1 pick will be awesome and that is actually the exception year 1 not the norm.

if an OT were good enough to be ready day one without looking like he's on skates, he wouldn't be available at 14. i mean sure, it's possible, but not something you should be expecting or anticipating.

OG should be addressed in FA just because you can get a reliable starter quicker an the cost of the position isn't exactly prohibitive.

people don't realize just how ugly rookies on the OL or even at DT can look. finding ones that can start right out of the gate, even in the first round, is the exception and generally those that can get taken early.

#42 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

4 or 6 is of course ideal. You obviously can't draft a OG in the top half of the first round and while Bell will be an adequate player someday I think, it ain't gonna be at Guard. Get a nice rookie prospect at OT, sign a FA to be your RG and I think that's clearly the best path.

#43 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,223 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

4 or 6 is of course ideal. You obviously can't draft a OG in the top half of the first round and while Bell will be an adequate player someday I think, it ain't gonna be at Guard. Get a nice rookie prospect at OT, sign a FA to be your RG and I think that's clearly the best path.

You absolutely can draft an OG in the top half of the first. This year may actually have two....Warmack and Cooper will most likely both go in the Top 20.

#44 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I don't think Gross is a good fit at RT at this point in his career, not sure he can generate enough power to be effective in the run game. I personally like Bell, he's a young player but he's developing nicely.

I'd go for option 1 or 2 with a change, I'd move Silatolu to RG and put either Warmack or Cooper at LG since both of these guys are know for their speed and agility (which makes them ideally suited to be pulling guards).

#45 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

1. LT - FA
LG - Amini
C- Kalil
RG - Barrett Jones
RT - Gross

LT Gross
LG Amini
C Kalil
RG - Jonathan Cooper
RT - FA

I'd be happy with signing a young mid level OT and drafting a player like Cooper from NC.

Just get Byron Bell out of the SL please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com