Photo
- - - - -

Which 2013 O-Line combo gives us the best chance to win more that 7 games?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#46 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Bell is okay. Just okay. In no way should he be considered "good" or "above average" at this point in his career.

If we have a chance to get our future LT in the draft, start the rook at RT. Once Gross decides to hang it up, move the pick to LT and maybe by then Bell will be fully developed and ready to contribute. Worst case he is excellent depth.

Hangartner simply must be replaced and that shouldn't be difficult or expensive in FA.

Do these things and we could have a dominant O-line for years.

#47 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Let's cross 6 off the list. Cmon guys. Don't be idiots

#48 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Sign me up for a combo of 4 and 6. Draft gross replacement and start him at RT for a season or two then switch them when needed.

Before the boo birds come out let me just say that one trick pony offensive linemen are a thing of the past. Whomever we draft on the line should be able to play multiple positions thus the 4-6 combo.

#49 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

1. LT - FA
LG - Amini
C- Kalil
RG - Barrett Jones
RT - Gross

LT Gross
LG Amini
C Kalil
RG - Jonathan Cooper
RT - FA

I'd be happy with signing a young mid level OT and drafting a player like Cooper from NC.

Just get Byron Bell out of the SL please.

What FA LT is better than Gross? That would dictate Gross moving to RT?

#50 killacam

killacam

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

There is no reason we can't keep Bell and move him to guard and draft a tackle at 14.

#51 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

What FA LT is better than Gross? That would dictate Gross moving to RT?

I don't have the list in front of me but I'm sure I could find at least 3 I would rather have than Gross. One was franchised today by the Chiefs.

I'd love to see Jordan move to RT and end his career that way. Who knows, a move like that could extend his career a few more seasons.

These are probably all moot points because I'm not sure how much money will be available and we have other needs.

#52 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,990 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

And address LT next year?

If it's a need then. Gross isn't a liability and we have bigger needs.

#53 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,990 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

There is no reason we can't keep Bell and move him to guard and draft a tackle at 14.

1. There's no reason to move Bell, he was solid last year and still have room to improve.
2. I love how everyone pretend's this is like Madden and you can just move OL around

#54 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't have the list in front of me but I'm sure I could find at least 3 I would rather have than Gross. One was franchised today by the Chiefs.

I'd love to see Jordan move to RT and end his career that way. Who knows, a move like that could extend his career a few more seasons.

These are probably all moot points because I'm not sure how much money will be available and we have other needs.

There are 3 FAs you think are better LTs than Gross? I think you should take a look before you say something like that

#55 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,990 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

There are 3 FAs you think are better LTs than Gross? I think you should take a look before you say something like that

Lol, that's just not how he does things.

#56 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

1. There's no reason to move Bell, he was solid last year and still have room to improve.
2. I love how everyone pretend's this is like Madden and you can just move OL around

If Cam wasn't a freak show....Piggy, Bell, and Amini would have had a normal QB in IR.

But I am more worried about RG than Bell. Cam can at least see Bell's guy coming the easiest

#57 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I know you like to see what you want to see and manipulate it to make your point, but in my OP I stated OT, not just LT.

#58 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,990 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

If Cam wasn't a freak show....Piggy, Bell, and Amini would have had a normal QB in IR.

But I am more worried about RG than Bell. Cam can at least see Bell's guy coming the easiest

I agree with Hangartner and I think he is our single biggest liability, close to CB 1 with Gamble likely gone...or destined for IR again.

Amini was pretty bad when the season began, but he showed a lot of progress as the season wore on. Losing Kalil on his right was a setback as well.

Bell takes a lot of heat he doesn't deserve. He was bad with penalties his rookie year but was solid last year in every phase of the game. He's a work in progress with a lot of room still to grow.

However, I still blame our OL woes on Chud mostly. Not just in the running game, but as a whole because of the confusion and fatigue cause by the zone read crap.

I'm not saying Bell can't be replaced by someone better, but I don't see a reason to think he won't continue to improve.

#59 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I know you like to see what you want to see and manipulate it to make your point, but in my OP I stated OT, not just LT.

Well you said there where 3 Ts you would rather have over our LT. 1 + 1 should equal 2. That means you should be referring to LTs you would rather have

#60 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I agree with Hangartner and I think he is our single biggest liability, close to CB 1 with Gamble likely gone...or destined for IR again.

Amini was pretty bad when the season began, but he showed a lot of progress as the season wore on. Losing Kalil on his right was a setback as well.

Bell takes a lot of heat he doesn't deserve. He was bad with penalties his rookie year but was solid last year in every phase of the game. He's a work in progress with a lot of room still to grow.

However, I still blame our OL woes on Chud mostly. Not just in the running game, but as a whole because of the confusion and fatigue cause by the zone read crap.

I'm not saying Bell can't be replaced by someone better, but I don't see a reason to think he won't continue to improve.

Bell just lacks the atheticism I think you prefer to have at T. B/c of that I don't think his ceiling for improvement isn't much higher. I don't worry about Bell getting bulrushed but he gets beat to the outside too often.

But with Newton's style I think good G play is almost more important than T play. He can handle edge pressure pretty well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com