Photo
- - - - -

Which 2013 O-Line combo gives us the best chance to win more that 7 games?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Right now, we're obviously looking at: Gross-Silatulu-Kalil-FA-Bell

I think the best route for both long & short term would be: Gross-Silatulu-Kalil-Boothe-Bell

If we get any former Giant, I'd prefer Kevin Boothe.

Still draft a OL...imo a versatile type like Dallas Thomas or Dave Bakhtiari who brings wayyy better depth.

Gross was on a line with a rookie, no Kalil, Hang'man, & Byron Bell for the most part and when not it was a bunch of scrubs. I'd imagine it would be hard for anyone to look good on that line but at the same time I'll admit he is near the tail end of his career. He's still completely capable with the right guys around him imo until we transition a new LT in there who would ideally start out at RT.

#62 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,159 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well you said there where 3 Ts you would rather have over our LT. 1 + 1 should equal 2. That means you should be referring to LTs you would rather have

I'd take any of the top LTs in the draft as our #1 pick.

I'd take Jake Long over Gross if an absurd amount of money wasn't involved. Someone is going to greatly overpay for his services.
Andre Smith, Vollmer.....

I guess in an ideal world I'd take a guy that can play RT, move Bell to the bench, keep Gross at LT for a year or two more and draft his eventual replacement with a first or second rounder.

debating this though is pointless because he's going to be starting at LT next season. I'd rather them spread the money around than just put it all into one high priced guy like Jake Long.

#63 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,640 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'd take any of the top LTs in the draft as our #1 pick.

I'd take Jake Long over Gross if an absurd amount of money wasn't involved. Someone is going to greatly overpay for his services.
Andre Smith, Vollmer.....

I guess in an ideal world I'd take a guy that can play RT, move Bell to the bench, keep Gross at LT for a year or two more and draft his eventual replacement with a first or second rounder.

debating this though is pointless because he's going to be starting at LT next season. I'd rather them spread the money around than just put it all into one high priced guy like Jake Long.

Problem is rookie LT+ Amini on Cam's blind side is asking for our offense to implode in 2013. At least early on

#64 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,159 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Right now, we're obviously looking at: Gross-Silatulu-Kalil-FA-Bell

I think the best route for both long & short term would be: Gross-Silatulu-Kalil-Boothe-Bell

If we get any former Giant, I'd prefer Kevin Boothe.

Still draft a OL...imo a versatile type like Dallas Thomas or Dave Bakhtiari who brings wayyy better depth.

Gross was on a line with a rookie, no Kalil, Hang'man, & Byron Bell for the most part and when not it was a bunch of scrubs. I'd imagine it would be hard for anyone to look good on that line but at the same time I'll admit he is near the tail end of his career. He's still completely capable with the right guys around him imo until we transition a new LT in there who would ideally start out at RT.

I'd be totally fine with them drafting OL with the first and second round picks.

spend the money we have on a CB, S, DT, WR

#65 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,159 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Problem is rookie LT+ Amini on Cam's blind side is asking for our offense to implode in 2013. At least early on

well to be fair I'd be willing to put some of Jordan's struggles last year on having to babysit Amini.

#66 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Gross Amini. Kalil warford Johnson

#67 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

quickest/best/cheapest fix is having a healthy kalil and bringing in a vet RG. a step further in the right direction would be picking up another RT in FA that is better than bell. shouldn't be too hard to pull off, esp. for a decent price.

the real weak link is the right side. the left will be fine...not studly, but fine with kalil back and amini having a year under his belt. i'd still expect to see amini struggle, but mainly because he's still in his first couple years where they are likely to have roller skates for cleats.

the right side can be upgraded pretty easily without breaking the bank.

we don't need a stud OL. we don't need perenial all-pros or even pro-bowlers (not that the pro-bowl designation means jack). we just need guys who aren't going to get pushed around and who can get a little bit of a push. with the RB corps that we have (way under-utilized, overpaid, but still reaaaalllly good), and cam being the mobile playmaker that he is, we just don't need much on the OL except for being serviceable.

i would say adding another playmaker to the WR corps who can get open and handle/command double teams with a serviceable OL would help out a lot more than having an elite OL with our receiving corps as-is.

#68 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

You absolutely can draft an OG in the top half of the first. This year may actually have two....Warmack and Cooper will most likely both go in the Top 20.

Oh sorry lemme clarify because I thought it was implied

You can't do it and it actually be a good decision

#69 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Oh sorry lemme clarify because I thought it was implied

You can't do it and it actually be a good decision

unless you are stacked at other more important positions and there is no one of significant value at other positions i just don't like the idea of drafting an OG that early. it's just not that important of a position and it's one that can be adequately and affordably addressed in FA.

i'd rather spend money and an early draft pick elsewhere.

#70 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Same, I don't think OG holds adequate value to draft in the top 15. If we were to drop back 10 spots or so I'd be ok with it, but decent plug and play FA's are pretty easy to find at G.

I don't see a huge need at LT either and with the talent at DT, CB, S and WR I'd much rather pick one of those up and address LT later. Gross isn't as good as he was, but he's not a liability either.

#71 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Same, I don't think OG holds adequate value to draft in the top 15. If we were to drop back 10 spots or so I'd be ok with it, but decent plug and play FA's are pretty easy to find at G.

I don't see a huge need at LT either and with the talent at DT, CB, S and WR I'd much rather pick one of those up and address LT later. Gross isn't as good as he was, but he's not a liability either.

i think that if an OT is the BPA when we pick, then we pull the trigger. that said, i don't see that happening and i don't like the idea of starting him at LT and moving gross to RT. i don't like what the left side of that line would look like at all for the next year or two.

#72 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

i think that if an OT is the BPA when we pick, then we pull the trigger. that said, i don't see that happening and i don't like the idea of starting him at LT and moving gross to RT. i don't like what the left side of that line would look like at all for the next year or two.

Agree, while Amini improved a lot as the season went on he still has some ground to make up. One thing I've seen in my recent film study with him is recognition more so than technique and physical ability. He misses a lot of stunts or sets up one way and can't re-anchor and re-direct in time time be effective. Having Hangartner flank him didn't do him any favors, but he's not ready to be paired with a rookie, no matter how highly rated they are. Now, if they want to take a T and start him at RT until a switch makes sense then I'd be more on board with that. I like Bell and think he's played well, but such a move may benefit everyone.

#73 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

best option...

Gross, Amini, Kalil, FA, FA.

passing one one of the many talented tackles in this deep draft?

#74 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I can't see them picking a guard at #14, even the best guard in the draft.
Maybe I'm wrong. If they do, they certainly won't pass on a tackle in the second.
that would mean two rookies starting side by side oh the right side, and I'm delicately not wild about that.

Out left side is set for this year, so I see no need to access it further than that.
I'd like to see a free agent guard and one of the many talented tackles, to anchor the right side.

#75 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Since I'm on the Star L. bandwagon...

Gross-Amini-Kalil-FA-Bell

could still get a talented offensive tackle in the second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com