Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ramses Barden and Domenik Hixon

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url="http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/04/carolina-panthers-could-target-two-young-new-york-giants-wrs-domenik-hixon-ramses-barden/"]http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/04/carolina-panthers-could-target-two-young-new-york-giants-wrs-domenik-hixon-ramses-barden/[/url]

I would welcome this and not worry about WR in the draft.

Posted · Report post

Honestly why go after WRs who played as back ups. We already have avg WRs. We need a star WR that produce. Don't know much about these 2 guys. But why waste time and money on 2 guys who are no better then the guys we have the current roster. Pass.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Pantherman' timestamp='1362414317' post='2150790']
Honestly why go after WRs who played as back ups. We already have avg WRs. We need a star WR that produce. Don't know much about these 2 guys. But why waste time and money on 2 guys who are no better then the guys we have the current roster. Pass.
[/quote]

We have a star receiver that produces.

What makes you think these guys aren't better than Louis Murphy and company? You do know Hixon and Barden have been buried in a stellar Giants WR receiving corps.

Posted · Report post

I had Hixon for a little while in my fantasy season last year. Had a couple decent (dare I say, legit) games IIRC. Couldn't hurt, for the right price. Got to remember who they were behind in the pecking order at a beasty Giants squad...

Posted · Report post

2 years older and produced less than lafell.

Posted · Report post

If these two can be had for cheap, bring them on down. Ramses would be a ideal 2nd reciever for Cam with his height, and he's showed promise, and Hixon has been good in spot duty.

Yeah they were backups, but they were behind Victor Cruz and Nicks(either of which would be our #1 WR of the future if they were here). If we could get them both, it would give us the flexability to go for one of the trench guys with our 1st and even 2nd round picks.

Posted · Report post

The only good game that I remember Barden having last year was against us and I'm not sure that Hixon is better than Murphy.

Posted · Report post

I'd be all for it. Move on from Murphy and cut Edwards. Still a big gamble though imo.

Posted · Report post

Why would we go after two unproven guys with no ties to us when we have steady development and improvement out of lafell who we drafted? Change for the sake of change? That always works.

Posted · Report post

Also, what has Pilares done for everyone to lose faith in him?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stratopanther' timestamp='1362418546' post='2150855']
[/quote]

He's done [i]nothing[/i] to cause everyone to lose faith in him.

Posted · Report post

[/quote]

Well for me...when I saw him trying to start a fight at montford against a skinny 150 lb frat kid

I'd rather have real pros on the team

Posted · Report post

[/quote]

I think the better question is what makes you have faith in a reciever who's going into his third year in the league and has 42 yards and 1 TD total? And the majority of that is off one catch?

What has burned this franchise for years is filling the roster with late round guys that we hope one day develop and never do(see: every WR we've drafted now named Lafell/Smith, every cornerback convert we drafted and moved to safety etc etc).

Hixon and Barden have both actually produced in the NFL, we can't keep a WR corps with the Armanti Edwards and Pilares of the world, who are average at best KR, and who's career stats combined wihth 5 years combined in the league are less then Barden's one game against us.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stratopanther' timestamp='1362418343' post='2150850']
Why would we go after two unproven guys with no ties to us when we have steady development and improvement out of lafell who we drafted? Change for the sake of change? That always works.
[/quote]

Who said anything about ditching on LaFell? We are looking for cheap guys who can fill out the rest of our receiving corps (3rd, 4th and 5th on the depth chart). Are we not sick of guys like Murphy and Naanee losing us games because they can't catch easy passes?

Look at the recent teams that have been in the superbowl or teams that are year to year contenders. For the most part we aren't looking at teams with top tier WR tandems (like the Falcons), most of them have a well rounded squad of reliable receivers with differing skill sets.

Examples:
New England
New Orleans
Green Bay
Indianapolis (Post Marvin Harrison)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Houston
San Francisco

Exceptions:
New York Giants (they did acquire Cruz risk-free and Eli has shown even with Cruz and Nicks out he can be equally productive)

Indianapolis (With Marvin Harrison)
Arizona

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Frizzy350' timestamp='1362415029' post='2150796']

We have a star receiver that produces.

What makes you think these guys aren't better than Louis Murphy and company? You do know Hixon and Barden have been buried in a stellar Giants WR receiving corps.
[/quote]

This sounds like Marty Hurney. Always looking for wide receivers in the bargain bin instead of spending for real talent.

Our star receiver is 33 years old, and we have inadequate depth who could never be a #1 WR on any roster anywhere.

Posted · Report post

Do not like this speculation at all.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SmashNDash' timestamp='1362420362' post='2150884']
I think the better question is what makes you have faith in a reciever who's going into his third year in the league and has 42 yards and 1 TD total? And the majority of that is off one catch?

What has burned this franchise for years is filling the roster with late round guys that we hope one day develop and never do(see: every WR we've drafted now named Lafell/Smith, every cornerback convert we drafted and moved to safety etc etc).

Hixon and Barden have both actually produced in the NFL, we can't keep a WR corps with the Armanti Edwards and Pilares of the world, who are average at best KR, and who's career stats combined wihth 5 years combined in the league are less then Barden's one game against us.
[/quote]

Fair enough Pilares' stats suck but I thought he looked decent when given opportunities (I'm including preseason). I'm just sayin I would have liked to see him get a chance to prove himself before being scrapped. And as far as Barden goes I would be wary to judge him on his game against us (which I'm sure everyone is). Lets not forget how good Brady Quinn looked against us.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TheRed' timestamp='1362423099' post='2150911']
This sounds like Marty Hurney. Always looking for wide receivers in the bargain bin instead of spending for real talent.

Our star receiver is 33 years old, and we have inadequate depth who could never be a #1 WR on any roster anywhere.
[/quote]

Well GB, NE and Pitt all seem to be a bit hesitant to drop 1/10 of their salary cap on a single receiver. There is a lot of blame we can place on hurney, especially when it comes to overpaying players, but I don't think its fair to put this on his shoulders when he was in fact following a model that was successful for those organizations.

I also think you made that statement without thinking through the entirety of Hurney's time here. We had a lethal combo between Smith and Moose at one point. We brought in Keyshawn Johnson and got production out of him. We got DJ Hackett who was considered a high ceiling player when we obtained him. We spent 2nd round picks on Keary Colbert and Dwayne Jarret. We also brought Moose back and he was fairly productive.

Just because we weren't successful at hitting on a good solution for WR #2 does not mean we didn't try.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stratopanther' timestamp='1362425069' post='2150940']
Fair enough Pilares' stats suck but I thought he looked decent when given opportunities (I'm including preseason). I'm just sayin I would have liked to see him get a chance to prove himself before being scrapped. And as far as Barden goes I would be wary to judge him on his game against us (which I'm sure everyone is). Lets not forget how good Brady Quinn looked against us.
[/quote]

Lets also not forget how the Chiefs were so inspired by the death of their crazy person that they magically managed to play a perfectly clean game with ZERO penalties aside from a late delay of game penalty.

Its not like their oline were literally tackling CJ and hardy to the ground or anything to give quinn a fortnight to get the ball out.

Posted · Report post

Hixon is a solid no. 3 WR who can also play special teams. I would prefer him over Barden.

Posted · Report post

Id take Hixon over Murphy any day

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Frizzy350' timestamp='1362425814' post='2150948']

Well GB, NE and Pitt all seem to be a bit hesitant to drop 1/10 of their salary cap on a single receiver. There is a lot of blame we can place on hurney, especially when it comes to overpaying players, but I don't think its fair to put this on his shoulders when he was in fact following a model that was successful for those organizations.

I also think you made that statement without thinking through the entirety of Hurney's time here. We had a lethal combo between Smith and Moose at one point. We brought in Keyshawn Johnson and got production out of him. We got DJ Hackett who was considered a high ceiling player when we obtained him. We spent 2nd round picks on Keary Colbert and Dwayne Jarret. We also brought Moose back and he was fairly productive.

Just because we weren't successful at hitting on a good solution for WR #2 does not mean we didn't try.
[/quote]

Anyone can follow a model, it doesn't mean they actually have a clue what they're doing.

Funny you mention those three teams, who happen to be among the best in the league. Why is that you think? They build through the draft but actually know how to do it well. Hurney was an absolute disaster outside the 1st round.

Ugh I don't even want to talk about Keyshawn, I hope you don't consider that acquisition a success. Hackett was a disaster. Drew Carter, Keary Colbert, and Dwayne Jarrett, just lol. So that leaves us with Moose, and Steve Smith who Hurney didn't even draft.

If only simply trying yet often failing miserably ever counted for anything right?

Hey here's to better results with Gettleman.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stratopanther' timestamp='1362425069' post='2150940']
[/quote]

Yes, he's looked good in preseason, but remember he's so far down the depth chart he's playing against a 3rd and 4th string defense that are likely not even on their respective teams anymore. A team can only really afford 1 MAYBE 2 "potential" guys. Right now we have Edwards, Gettis, Murphy, Pilares and Joe Adams as WR who may "potentially" develop. We need to cut this down.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SmashNDash' timestamp='1362420362' post='2150884']

[/quote]

100% hitting the nail on the head. Good post.

Hopefully Gettleman can vastly improve the depth and talent on this roster over the next few seasons...