24 replies to this topic

#1 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

I know we have "a lot of holes" in our roster. But lets pretend that Gettleman is as good as we hope he is and he successfully navigates our cap for the season. Is there one to three signings that would allow us to BPA the draft and not worry about position?

Personally I think our best bet is to resign Dwan at a discount, ignore the CB position in FA, sign the best OT possible and look for a better than average safety to work along side Godfrey. An improved OL will make our receivers better, and a stout interior will help the pass rush which makes the CB's better.

#2 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

You are not giving me any hope here, naming practically the entire offense and defense as "holed"

#3 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,962 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Sign DT, CB, FS

BPA = Jarvis Jones

#4 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

You are not giving me any hope here, naming practically the entire offense and defense as "holed"

Well honestly I am skeptical of our team and I feel we are talent deficient, but I put it in quotations because we played so well at the end and that should count for something. (not much, but something)

#5 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Sign Dwan to a good deal, Pat Sims for vet min. Sign starting Calibre RG and a mid level vet CB

#6 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

Get Dwan back and Roy miller. See if Sensebaugh will take a vet minimum contract. We'll be good to go.

#7 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

OK, the question isn't asking me to predict the entire offseason, just what is leading up to the draft, so I'll limit myself to that. First of all, they need some cap room, so the first move is to cut Gamble. The biggest worry imo is the offensive line. The FO can't be happy that they've invested so much into RB's only for them to get less than 4 yards a carry. They also need to protect their franchise player - Cam Newton. I strongly believe that the best move considering all this is to sign someone like Schwartz who can play both RT and RG. That flexibility is huge. If the BPA happens to be an OT or OG, he can be drafted, Schwartz (or whoever is in his place) can start at whatever spot's left, and the line's looking pretty. If the BPA isn't an offensive lineman, the franchise can still go forward knowing that the biggest problem has at least been improved upon.

PS. I don't think that every positional need can be fixed in one offseason. Gettleman has already said that he'll be careful with signing FA's. They don't exactly have the cap for a lot of FA moves either, even if Beason gets cut on June 1st (I'm assuming that DWill will be back based on the FO's comments). The team will improve, but it's not gonna be complete overnight. Patience is a virtue.

#8 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,758 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Need to go BPA regardless.

I disagree that we have a "lot" of holes.

#9 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,355 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

We should sign Canty, perhaps try and sign Chung or Sensabaugh on the cheap, and peruse the bargain basement bin---for other positions of need---for decent journeymen or players who still my have some upside, but have not reached their potential for whatever reasons. Making those moves would probably open us up to at least thinking about pulling the trigger on a WR in the first.

#10 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Need to go BPA regardless.

I disagree that we have a "lot" of holes.

We have several holes on D. Just OL on offense.

#11 BigBeezy

BigBeezy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

At minimum, I'd say sign a rush DT (D.Edwards, Canty, Dorsey, Jason Jones), bring in at least one versatile OL (Schwartz, Donald Thomas, Doug Legursky, Kevin Boothe), a solid vet CB (Keenan Lewis, Greg Toler, Bradley Fletcher, Mike Jenkins), and a solid vet S (Kenny Phillips, Glover Quin, Chris Clemons, Patrick Chung)

I think this would allow us to go BPA.

#12 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,758 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

We have several holes on D. Just OL on offense.

The only glaring hold I see on D is DT.

Luckily for us DT is deep and talented this draft, as are S and CB.

We have needs, like every team, but I don't think we have anything that is as pressing at DT - even with as much as I hate Hangartner as the starting RG.

I wouldn't be upset with anyone at 14 other than QB, RB and LB.

#13 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

The only glaring hold I see on D is DT.

Luckily for us DT is deep and talented this draft, as are S and CB.

We have needs, like every team, but I don't think we have anything that is as pressing at DT - even with as much as I hate Hangartner as the starting RG.

I wouldn't be upset with anyone at 14 other than QB, RB and LB.

Our S play has been horrible the last 2 yrs.

Gamble is as good as gone that makes CB a hole.

So we need starters at both DT spots, both CB spots unless you feel comfortable with Thomas, and both S spot.

#14 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

I think we can draft BPA no matter what. We shouldn't be looking to next year, we should be looking to 3+ years down the road. We've been trying for quick fixes for years in order to become immediately competitive and it has failed every time We already made the decision to not compete next season when we kept Rivera, so stick with that decision and draft long term talent.

#15 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think we can draft BPA no matter what. We shouldn't be looking to next year, we should be looking to 3+ years down the road. We've been trying for quick fixes for years in order to become immediately competitive and it has failed every time We already made the decision to not compete next season when we kept Rivera, so stick with that decision and draft long term talent.

Should always be the philosophy... sign FA to fill holes and draft talent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com