Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Current NFL Salary Cap Figures

39 posts in this topic

Posted

i think it's probably safe to assume that they are with him and a few others as well. with gamble and beason the goal on our part would probably be to scrap and re-write the contracts, but i don't see that being successful with gamble.

last resort would be cutting him, but if their goal is to have $8-11mil in cap space (which is the number i think i remember being the target) it would either have to be a significant restructure/re-done contract or just releasing him. he's got to know that it's going to be a flooded market with talent and not much cap money to go around for any team that his best chance is to work something out here.

I'm not understanding the whole wont get done with Gamble mentality, from my current understanding I think we can keep Gamble if we restructure/extend his contract. He's is set to make $10.9 million next season, we can cut him and save $7.9m and we could theoretically tell him hey we just don't have the cap space to keep you, we can cut you and you will only get $3m or you can restructure and get $4.5m this season all guaranteed. that would save us 6.5m putting us under the cap by $3m with Beason and Gross still to go in renegotiations.

the fact that Gamble is still on the team and we have not cut him yet means the Panthers are trying to restructure Gamble to keep him.

Posted

What's worse, being in our situation, or Cleveland's, which refuses to field a winning team with that much space?

Posted

It's funny how everyone freaks out about our cap situation every year.

It's off season. Nothing else to do.

Every year.

Phase 1: Complain about why we lost game/season because of coach/player/etc.

Phase 2: Freak out about the cap that only a few of us truly understand.

Phase 3: Talk about draft and who we can get to replace overpriced vet we just cut because we think we understand how the cap works.

Phase 4: Watch team get under the cap by a few million then talk about what free agent we can get.

Phase 5: Complain about free agent we didn't pursue even though he is paid 3 times the amount we were able to pay. Then do Phase 3 again.

Posted

That isn't how rookie contracts work. Rookie wages come from a separate pool of money that is different from the wages that go against the salary cap.

I was thinking about 2013 rookies not 2012.

But either way your statement is not correct either for last year or prospective rookies.

Here is how it works.

Rule of 51...

http://www.eagles24x...alary-Cap-Works

Once the season starts, however, the entire Cap Numbers of the rookies who make the team must be fit under the team’s overall Cap. The impact of that, though, actually operates to save the team a little bit of Salary Cap space, since the rookies are making the rookie minimum base salary and replacing players on the roster who were making more in base salary.

Posted

That isn't how rookie contracts work. Rookie wages come from a separate pool of money that is different from the wages that go against the salary cap.

Oh my.

Posted

It's funny how everyone freaks out about our cap situation every year.

yeah it's weird... every year we figure out the cap space, add a plethora of quality free agents, put together an excellent championship quality team and field a legitimate title contending roster... I don't know why people are complaining?

Posted

Gettleman is taking his time. Looking over all the team's big contracts and trying to find every possible cent he can save by restructuring.

Posted

Oh my.

I was thinking about 2013 rookies not 2012.

But either way your statement is not correct either for last year or prospective rookies.

Here is how it works.

Rule of 51...

http://www.eagles24x...alary-Cap-Works

Interesting.

Each NFL club has a different rookie salary pool based upon the number of draft picks the team has and the position of those picks. Teams with more picks and higher picks have larger salary pools than teams with fewer and/or lower picks in the draft.

As in past years, the rookie salary pool counts ONLY the base salary, pro-rated signing bonus and “likely-to-be earned” incentives (such as roster bonuses) earned in a player’s rookie season.

http://nflcommunications.com/2010/05/01/ask-nfllabor-com-%E2%80%93-nfl-rookie-salary-pool-in-2010/

Posted

Interesting.

http://nflcommunications.com/2010/05/01/ask-nfllabor-com-%E2%80%93-nfl-rookie-salary-pool-in-2010/

A few weeks ago I was also under the wrong impression that rookie salaries had a separate pool that didnt count against the cap. But I did some research and found basically what the post above said. The article you linked is from 2010, before the new CBA, so I'd guess the other article is more relevant.

Posted

People are confusing the rookie pool with how rookies fit under the cap.

The rookie pool is a limit on how much teams can spend on their rookies. It really has nothing to do with the salary cap.

Until rookies are signed (for draft picks, typically just before the start of camp), they are counted against the teams salary cap at the rookie minimum salary. Once their deal is signed, their salary hits the cap just like a veteran's. Signing bonus are pro-rated just like everyone else's and the salaries count just like everyone else's. So no, rookies are not excluded from the team's overall salary cap. We'll need 4 million or so of cap space before the beginning of the season to fit our rookies in.

The rookie pool allocated to each team just limits how much teams can spend on rookies. Nothing more. It doesn't mean that a team does not have to fit rookies under the team's overall cap.

As to the rule of 51, since rookies count at minimum until their contract is signed, they have no immediate impact on the team's salary cap unless the team has less than 51 players under contract.

Condensed version...rookies count against the cap just like everyone else, but due to technicalities in the CBA, they have no impact on the team's cap until late summer.

Posted

There ya go. Which is why D-Will may still be a June 1 cut.

Posted

Cutting Gamble gives us $7.9M in cap space

DWill as a June 1st cut gives us $4.75M

Putting us $9,024,932 under the cap

These moves also give us an extra $11.4M in cap space for 2014 while restructuring would do the opposite (increase their cap hits for future years).

This needs to happen. Like last week.