Photo
- - - - -

Bucky Brooks' latest mock (has us passing on Patterson). Hmmph.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#136 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

If Pattersons ceiling, is to be the next Devin Hester, do you take him at 14? Hester is a game changer on returns, but a so so receiver and that is what I think Patterson will be. So if my opinion is true for arguments sake, is he worth the pick?

#137 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

If Pattersons ceiling, is to be the next Devin Hester, do you take him at 14? Hester is a game changer on returns, but a so so receiver and that is what I think Patterson will be. So if my opinion is true for arguments sake, is he worth the pick?

I think you meant "doo-doo" reciever. and patterson is NOT that. He is leagues ahead of hester in terms of the WR position.

#138 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I don't understand the obsession with Patterson. He didn't do poo against good competition. Just go look at his stats. Only 750 receiving yards and over 200 of that was against fuging Troy. He didn't do poo in SEC play.

I don't understand the obsession with drafting a WR in the first round, either. If Cam doesn't have time to throw, what's it matter? We already have a solid core. Pretty sure we'll be looking in FA for a receiver. Who the hell is going to start at CB? This isn't Madden.

#139 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,046 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Raw is made up of shades, and no two raw players are the same, so comparisons are pointless.

Some players, like Cam, are considered raw because they haven't done something (like take snaps from under center or reading a defense) and people assume it will take time for them to learn how...if they can ever learn it. But others, like Patterson, are considered raw because we have seen them do everything they will be expected to do in the NFL, but have clear weaknesses that must be corrected before they can live up to their potential.

I like Patterson, and was high on the possibility of taking him at 14. However, the more I hear and see about him, the more wary I become. There is no doubt that he is explosive...particularly with the ball in his hands in the open field. My concern comes with pretty much every other aspect of his game. They were talking the other night on Path to the Draft about how he jumps for most balls, even when he doesn't need to, and that receivers like that are almost always body catchers...and when I watch clips of him, that is exactly what I see. He also is not a skilled route runner at this point. And from what I have heard and read, he is not considered the most intelligent of guys and was not giving teams a good impression in the interviews at the combine.

With that said, I think he will be a good receiver, and definitely worth at least a 2nd, but I am not sold on the fact that he will fix his flaws to the extent that he will ever become a clear #1 receiver. But I do believe he can be at least a solid #2, so if we do take him, I think he does add value and makes the team better.

Have some pie and rep, Woodie. Seriously one of the better and honest answers that I've seen.

#140 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Low IQ. Small route tree. Body catcher. Very little college production.. > a All-Pro caliber Guard to most people. smh.

#141 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

Low IQ. Small route tree. Body catcher. Very little college production.. > a All-Pro caliber Guard to most people. smh.

And, yet, one former NFL personnel guy just recently listed Patterson as the 4th best player overall in the draft, with only Joeckel, Lotuleile and Jones ahead of Patterson. My point: Patterson must not be as bad as some people are trying to make him seem.

#142 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

And, yet, one former NFL personnel guy just recently listed Patterson as the 4th best player overall in the draft, with only Joeckel, Lotuleile and Jones ahead of Patterson. My point: Patterson must not be as bad as some people are trying to make him seem.

What could he possibly be basing that off of? Again. Does not display the ability to compete for the ball in the air. Little to no production in the SEC. Raw unpolished route runner. Questionable IQ.

His biggest strength is what he can do carrying the ball. We have plenty of that. Give me a WR who will go up and grab the football with his hands. That's how you win. That's what Cam needs. I don't want some unreliable project when we could compete for the nfc south with a little help at some key positions

#143 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

What could he possibly be basing that off of? Again. Does not display the ability to compete for the ball in the air. Little to no production in the SEC. Raw unpolished route runner. Questionable IQ.

His biggest strength is what he can do carrying the ball. We have plenty of that. Give me a WR who will go up and grab the football with his hands. That's how you win. That's what Cam needs. I don't want some unreliable project when we could compete for the nfc south with a little help at some key positions

People were using the same tone about Cam. Just saying. A.J. Green had a Wonderlic score of 10. Just Saying. CP might not be as big of a project as some believe.

I suppose Softli is basing his opinion on his knowledge and experience. It's not like others haven't rated Patterson high as well. Of course a lot of it is based on potential. One of the key positions that we undoubtedly need is another explosive and dynamic WR. We have needed one for years. I am not saying that we should draft CP, but we have to due our due diligence. If there is someone in the second round (perhaps DeAndre Hopkins, though some have him going as high as 12 to the Dolphins) that could be that guy, then I am all for it.

Keep in mind that we will undoubtedly fill some holes (inc. WR) in FA.

#144 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I don't understand the obsession with Patterson. He didn't do poo against good competition. Just go look at his stats. Only 750 receiving yards and over 200 of that was against fuging Troy. He didn't do poo in SEC play.

Watch his highlights against Georgia. Trust me, he's THAT good. I love the Vols, bit I'm honest when someone is overrated, because I also don't want the Panthers to waste a pick.
Having said that, I think Richardson is great. If the Chiefs really picked on need, I think it should be a decision between Floyd and Richardson for #1. Far better fitting for them that Star Lotulelei.

#145 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

I would rather have D Hopkins, T Austin, or A Dobson.

#146 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

In his defense UT stunk all around. And NFL teams are drafting on potential for guys like this.

#147 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

please count the number of times he actually extends his arms to catch the ball with his hands.

#148 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

please count the number of times he actually extends his arms to catch the ball with his hands.

You can also notice the little separation he's getting from poor route running. Which will be less against pro CB's then add in the body catches. Which will cut down on him trying to get YAC yards while he's trying to secure a ball. It also may cause a few untimely TO.

He's a good athlete but very raw as a Wr.

#149 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

I would rather have D Hopkins, T Austin, or A Dobson.

DeAndre Hopkins is somewhat slower than I'd like, not necessarily the best route runner himself, and allows himself to get jammed off his route sometimes, but I'd love if he would slip down to the second. Tavon Austin is electric, but you just can't ignore his small size. He is not as big nor nearly as strong as Steve Smith, so I would have consistent worries about him getting jacked up like D-Jax. His size alone makes me balk at taking him in the first. Aaron Dobson has shown some skills, but he really hasn't faced any top level competition. He has so-so speed and has some injury issues. He definitely doesn't merit a first round pick at this point---not saying that he won't develop into a fine WR at some point.

The main question is whether or not any of these guys, including Patterson, worthy of a pick at 14, and how quickly they could make an impact.

In his defense UT stunk all around. And NFL teams are drafting on potential for guys like this.

Yes, but the question is whether or not he's worth a pick at 14. Can he make an immediate impact come September?

He had at least one that was obvious where he extended his arms. But, just because you don't extend your arms doesn't mean you are not catching with your hands. Somebody like him, particularly with strong hands, can easily learn to extend his arms with drills. To me, that shouldn't necessarily be the litmus test as to whether you are going to draft a guy in the first round. It's one thing to scrutinize among many. You have to get the big picture.

I think that it's laughable that people talk about CP's lack of production in the SEC. Dude was only there for a year, and led the conference in all-purpose yards, that's all. Shows some promise. He has great upside.

#150 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

He had at least one that was obvious where he extended his arms. But, just because you don't extend your arms doesn't mean you are not catching with your hands. Somebody like him, particularly with strong hands, can easily learn to extend his arms with drills. To me, that shouldn't necessarily be the litmus test as to whether you are going to draft a guy in the first round. It's one thing to scrutinize among many. You have to get the big picture.

I think that it's laughable that people talk about CP's lack of production in the SEC. Dude was only there for a year, and led the conference in all-purpose yards, that's all. Shows some promise. He has great upside.

IMO catching the football with your hands, which he does not do with any consistency(hence the multiple games with only 2 or fewer rec), should absolutely be a litmus test for a team drafting WR based on need early in the first.

I don't disagree the guy has upside. He lead the conference is all-purpose yards, but do we need an "all-purpose" guy at 14? He will serve a team best as that while people sit around and hope he can develop into an NFL WR. He simply has not shown the skills nor production as a WR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com