Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wealth Inequality in America

271 posts in this topic

Posted

Everyone should know calculus. EVERYONE.

Posted

Everyone should know calculus. EVERYONE.

This isn't China dude.

Posted

My son took the ACT in school yesterday... the entire eleventh grade had to take it. Are all of those kids going to college? No.

I can see how it turns kids off from school.

Yep. I wish community colleges focused on trades and certs more than AA's.

Posted

I don't get where you are forming this opinion from ?

Panthro is likely one of the "least concerned with what other people have" people I know.

I think he feels there is a significant Lack of Ladders to the Top. Especially for those born on the wrong side of the track.

While I feel this is partially true, what PSC is saying is also true.

Yes you were born in the trailer park.

Yes it's going to be harder for you than the kid whose parents make 1 Mill a year plus.

But that doesn't mean you can't be successful.

I think everyone can agree with that ?

If we could open more doorways to success for those who don't have it AND turn the corner on the defeatist culture that is prevalent (assumed) in lower income class brackets we could turn a corner not only as a country but as a generation.

Granted potentialdemotivator.jpg

is also true.

But that shouldn't be predetermined by where you were born or what race/sex you are.

untitledghgfhhghjgh.jpeg

Posted

I'm at least a 2-pat bro hugger. I challenge the validity of that graphic.

Posted

I wish that even at the public high school level there was more opportunity for vocational studies.

They need to bring back auto repair classes, woodworking, etc, so people that may not be interested in pursuing college, or that aren't as gifted in math and science can learn about something that is helpful for them finding a career opportunity and that gives them perhaps a boost in self confidence.

That would be a way of perhaps giving kids who don't excel in math and science, or don't have the grade to get accepted at a university or college, or doesn't have the money to go to higher learning institutions, or don't know certain programs even exist in technical schools; it may give those kids some direction rather than flunking them out of school and sending them out on their own to figure it out.

Instead of heading back to their lives feeling like a failure and possibly in poverty stricken areas, they might find they like or have a talent in areas other than math and science that they can pursue and give them hope that there is still a way out of poverty or a way to make it in the world even if it means they may not going to get rich doing it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Some see the problem and think govt of their elected officials will solve it.

At times I think the US is too big and diverse for its own good. Everybody doesn't get a trophy and not everybody even wants one.

Been saying for years need more apprenticeships set up.

1 person likes this

Posted

and some people never get a shot... because life (as we've constructed it) is unfair. this situation wasn't created in a vacuum, we aren't operating in the natural order... if we were, those with excess would've been strung up by the have-nots long ago, the whole point of civilization is act as a group to benefit the group.

I wouldn't say some people never get a shot, although its a certainity that some people have a far more difficult path than others. But it is still possible to overcome circumstances and be successful. I grew up in difficult circumstances, and I knew some that had it worse than I did. Made the best of it, and so far I am doing ok. Some of those I grew up with are doing ok, some not so much.

You have to take the few opportunities that are available, and make the best of them. But I am for giving the underpriveldged as many opportunities as we can, assuming we can afford it.

IMO, the primary issue in the country is not wealth inequality, but the breakdown of the family. To many children grow up in broken or abusive homes. But thats for another thread.

Posted

Some see the problem and think govt of their elected officials will solve it.

At times I think the US is too big and diverse for its own good. Everybody doesn't get a trophy and not everybody even wants one.

Been saying for years need more apprenticeships set up.

Did we just agree on something!! 551.gif

Of course I want these programs set up through public school system, which would take considerable taxpayer money and our government fixing a problem, so we probably don't see 100% eye to eye.

Posted

Public schools need an extreme makeover. The educrats and school boards are so obtuse they do more harm than good for kids.

2 people like this

Posted

I wish that even at the public high school level there was more opportunity for vocational studies.

They need to bring back auto repair classes, woodworking, etc, so people that may not be interested in pursuing college, or that aren't as gifted in math and science can learn about something that is helpful for them finding a career opportunity and that gives them perhaps a boost in self confidence.

I was in high school (in NC) in the late 80s/early 90s and they were phasing out all of these types of programs and putting everyone on a college track. I have always disagreed with that.

We need a college track in schools, but we also need vocational education and the schools should also be working with industry to teach and train people the practical skills they need to be marketable in the job force. Don't cookie cutter every kid for college because you're setting a lot of them up to fail. Help the kids figure out what their interests are and what they're good at and teach them to do those things. The kids will be better off and so will the country.

1 person likes this

Posted

Public schools need an extreme makeover. The educrats and school boards are so obtuse they do more harm than good for kids.

IMO, the problem lies more with the students than with the school system. Not that the school system doesn't have flaws, but it seems to me that there are many opportunities in the public school system that allow kids to flourish, but some just seem unable to take advantage of them.