270 replies to this topic

#166 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Cantrell's clearly not dumb. But he is really misguided.

#167 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,346 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

**BYARHAHRHAEHRAEHEH The Harder I Pound my Keys the BEtter It WilL Sound UNFAIR Racists F White people P bad Economy!!! BALAHAHHAHAHHGEEUURURURRRR***

#168 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

I was also born dirt poor, they used to give a poo about each other these days they just want more more more, Everything I have achieved I did in spite of growing up in a trailer park.

People like cantrell are the problem.

I ain't asking for nothing if I can't get it on my own. and theres nothing wrong with that.

#169 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I ain't asking for nothing if I can't get it on my own. and theres nothing wrong with that.

Sorry if you thought that was directed at you it was a generalization.

I am the same way if I didn't earn it I don't want it.

#170 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

**BYARHAHRHAEHRAEHEH The Harder I Pound my Keys the BEtter It WilL Sound UNFAIR Racists F White people P bad Economy!!! BALAHAHHAHAHHGEEUURURURRRR***

QFT

Best post I have seen around here in quite a while.

#171 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

You're not the brightest bulb in the box are you?

because my bullshit sensor went off when i read a post by noted scholar ncbiscuit that began with "i got a master's"?

#172 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

I'll get to the rest of it later, but I'm interested to hear more about this part.

Is part of the reason people still struggle along the poverty line is because of institutional racism in our system? I assume you're referring specifically to blacks in this case when you say "certain people," right?

it's multifaceted. black people generally do have it worse in america through no fault of their own (controlling for things like economic class, education, etc), and much of my own research has been confined to black-white relations and the affects of institutional racism, so it might come across as though i believe it's The Sole Problem but there are other reasons why people "still struggle along the poverty line" (classism, wage system in general, inegalitarian distribution of capital). if everyone started at the same point, i'd certainly be more receptive to capitalism in general (though i can't say i'd ever fully come around to a system that doesn't emphasize social cost/benefit). point is, there are plenty of white people stuck in poverty as well; now statistically they have it a bit better than black people, but they do face many of the same problems

anyway to clarify: social mobility is lacking here and we are far from a meritocracy. while slavery and post-slavery treatment of black people set them far behind the curve, we would have many of the same problems in an america in which slavery and jim crow never existed WRT social mobility (the demographics would be different and maybe the wealth wouldn't be quite as concentrated at the top but that's about it); it's just super visible when particular minority groups have been disproportionately represented in the lower classes since forever, and particularly concerning when research shows that members of these particular minority groups are going to have a bad time if they enter the justice system (controlling for things like type of crime, economic class, criminal history) or if they try to find a job and be fairly compensated and eventually be promoted for their work (controlling for education, experience, criminal history)

there are still significant problems WRT race in america, but the problems that accompany capitalist society would still be present if race wasn't A Thing

#173 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,070 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

I worked hard and i consider myself very successful.

I still think the wealth inequilaity gap is one of the major issues with the county and more specifically the economy.

So since how would you respond to me since im not jealous of your "success"

If someone made bad decisions in school and now does not have a skillset that allows them to have a financially adequate job...one that would not require giv't supplement.

What is your solution:

1. Allow them to throw up their hands and call defeat.....requiring the gov't to support them. Or,

2. Provide them with opportunities for education, skill training, etc. which would allow them to improve their situation, but require hard work on their part.

I support #2....many if you support #1.

I don't blame the people getting support....I blame the system that creates this situation. If you have a system that sends a paycheck for doing nothing, many people will continue to take advantage if it...it is somewhat human nature.

#174 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

You are going to pay for these people one way or the other.

Cost of goods will skyrocket if places like Walmart actually paid a living wage.

Or you keep the cost of goods down by keeping the wages down and supplementing the "high school dropouts" salaries as we do now.

I'm good either way

#175 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,608 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

because my bullshit sensor went off when i read a post by noted scholar ncbiscuit that began with "i got a master's"?

Are u really this dumb?

Jokes aren't funny when they must be explained...

#176 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,070 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

You are going to pay for these people one way or the other.

Cost of goods will skyrocket if places like Walmart actually paid a living wage.

Or you keep the cost of goods down by keeping the wages down and supplementing the "high school dropouts" salaries as we do now.

I'm good either way

It seems like you are just throwing up your hands and saying there is no solution. That we will have to support a large group of people fit their entire lives,

I struggle to accept that as reality.

#177 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

It seems like you are just throwing up your hands and saying there is no solution. That we will have to support a large group of people fit their entire lives,

I struggle to accept that as reality.

Right now those are two options.

I am more concerned with the working poor than I am the lazy poor. If one rich person cheats on their taxes you do not punish the whole class of people. Same with the working poor.

Education and training should be equal for all that want it but I am also realistic enough to say that not everyone is made for a C-Level position nor do they necessarily want it. We need people picking produce, meat plants, and building roads but they should make a living wage one way or the other being increased cost passed to the consumer or govt assistance that make sure these people are not living in squalor and have training and educational opportunities available to them.

#178 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,070 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Right now those are two options.

I am more concerned with the working poor than I am the lazy poor. If one rich person cheats on their taxes you do not punish the whole class of people. Same with the working poor.

Education and training should be equal for all that want it but I am also realistic enough to say that not everyone is made for a C-Level position nor do they necessarily want it. We need people picking produce, meat plants, and building roads but they should make a living wage one way or the other being increased cost passed to the consumer or govt assistance that make sure these people are not living in squalor and have training and educational opportunities available to them.

I do understand your points. People cheating in their taxes AND those working the system are both an issue that needs to be dealt with.

I don't agree that a solution for the working poor is to have a situation where gov't support is required. That is a bad and unsustainable plan. But, providing education and training opportunities I 100% agree with.

#179 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

The average salary of a walmart employee is 15,000 a year or 8.81 per hour.

Jobs like that are not glamorous but needed. People are working but for below living wages, without insurance, and providing a service.

I'm ok paying more so someone else can live a better life.

#180 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,070 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

The average salary of a walmart employee is 15,000 a year or 8.81 per hour.

Jobs like that are not glamorous but needed. People are working but for below living wages, without insurance, and providing a service.

I'm ok paying more so someone else can live a better life.

I would definitely rather see a program that helps the people that are working hard (as you have articulated) than the welfare program that we have now (too easy to game the system and be totally supported without working for the rest if your life).

I believe in helping those that are working hard to help themselves. Not much sympathy for the person willing to sit on their ass and get a gov't check.

But to accomplish that type of program would take a major overhaul of the existing entitlement programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.