#46 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Public schools need an extreme makeover. The educrats and school boards are so obtuse they do more harm than good for kids.

#47 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,674 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

I wish that even at the public high school level there was more opportunity for vocational studies.

They need to bring back auto repair classes, woodworking, etc, so people that may not be interested in pursuing college, or that aren't as gifted in math and science can learn about something that is helpful for them finding a career opportunity and that gives them perhaps a boost in self confidence.

I was in high school (in NC) in the late 80s/early 90s and they were phasing out all of these types of programs and putting everyone on a college track. I have always disagreed with that.

We need a college track in schools, but we also need vocational education and the schools should also be working with industry to teach and train people the practical skills they need to be marketable in the job force. Don't cookie cutter every kid for college because you're setting a lot of them up to fail. Help the kids figure out what their interests are and what they're good at and teach them to do those things. The kids will be better off and so will the country.

#48 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Public schools need an extreme makeover. The educrats and school boards are so obtuse they do more harm than good for kids.

IMO, the problem lies more with the students than with the school system. Not that the school system doesn't have flaws, but it seems to me that there are many opportunities in the public school system that allow kids to flourish, but some just seem unable to take advantage of them.

#49 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I was in high school (in NC) in the late 80s/early 90s and they were phasing out all of these types of programs and putting everyone on a college track. I have always disagreed with that.

We need a college track in schools, but we also need vocational education and the schools should also be working with industry to teach and train people the practical skills they need to be marketable in the job force. Don't cookie cutter every kid for college because you're setting a lot of them up to fail. Help the kids figure out what their interests are and what they're good at and teach them to do those things. The kids will be better off and so will the country.

Maybe its different in other schools, but in Winston, they still have all those things. They have something called Career center which teaches everything from Network engineering to how to change the spark plugs in a car. They even partner with the local community colleges so that the courses integrate.

#50 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,674 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Maybe its different in other schools, but in Winston, they still have all those things. They have something called Career center which teaches everything from Network engineering to how to change the spark plugs in a car.

They don't have that stuff here to my knowledge... maybe it's coming back and I hope so.

#51 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Maybe its different in other schools, but in Winston, they still have all those things. They have something called Career center which teaches everything from Network engineering to how to change the spark plugs in a car.

We had that in Union County when I was in school too. I believe it is still operational.

I think there is a negative stigma though that many associate with leaving school to go to another school. I think that stigma would be lessened if those classes were held at regular schools. That would add considerable cost to school budgets though.

#52 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

We had that in Union County when I was in school too. I believe it is still operational.

I think there is a negative stigma though that many associate with leaving school to go to another school. I think that stigma would be lessened if those classes were held at regular schools. That would add considerable cost to school budgets though.

Best I can remember, most of the students who went to career center loved the opportunity to get out of the school for a while, I am not sure the negative stigma really bothered them. The biggest problem I remember with it was that some of the students didn't take it seriously, discipline was a little more lax, and it was easier to sneak off and take a "smoke" break. But that was a few year ago. :)

#53 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Wait, some of you are still under the impression that big business and gov't are different things?

#54 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I agree 100% and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being either.

My thing is I don't want that to be decided by birth.

All this said, I still would wager that America is one of the most upwardly mobile countries in the world.

Well, we do pretty well compared to 3rd world countries at least. I think the question is how can we give everyone a level playing field when bad parenting is such a massive disadvantage to start with?

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

#55 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,674 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Maybe its different in other schools, but in Winston, they still have all those things. They have something called Career center which teaches everything from Network engineering to how to change the spark plugs in a car. They even partner with the local community colleges so that the courses integrate.

There are four High Schools here in New Hanover county. My son is a junior at the newest.

I just emailed him and he said he *thinks* they have a wood shop, but nothing like auto mechanics, machining, etc.

He said that they do have a dual-enrollment program with CFCC for such things... idk how that works.

#56 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

The problem with these types of discussions is that no new ideas are ever thrown into the mix. Some think the solution is in government, some think the others only think the solution is in government. It's a stale argument.

Here's a thought. If we want a truly fair system that rewards survival of the fittest, then lets say no one can inherit more than x amount of money through their family. Let's make that something like 50x the threshold of a 1%er income, or ~$150 million. So no one can inherit more than that. The excess doesn't get taxed or go to the government in anyway. It would go to lots of publicly traded corporations that function as schools(vocational schools, colleges, etc) that are free to all. Now poke holes in this idea.

#57 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

There are four High Schools here in New Hanover county. My son is a junior at the newest.

I just emailed him and he said he *thinks* they have a wood shop, but nothing like auto mechanics, machining, etc.

He said that they do have a dual-enrollment program with CFCC for such things... idk how that works.

I know Union County schools have a dual enrollment with SPCC. You are basically in HS for 5 years (I think splitting the last two years in HS between the HS and the college and finishing up the last year exclusively at the college). You finish up with an associates degree.

I might be a little off on the details, but I know you finish with a degree.

#58 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

poverty in america = middle class througout the rest of the world

how many children starve to death in america every day? can anyone pull that statistic?

born into poverty. what a fuging joke.

I dont know if I would consider "children arent starving" to mean "poverty is solved"

Here is a good look into poverty in america- http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21636723

#59 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

My cousin is in auto tech here in Charlotte, so yes that exists.

#60 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,873 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

The problem with these types of discussions is that no new ideas are ever thrown into the mix. Some think the solution is in government, some think the others only think the solution is in government. It's a stale argument.

Here's a thought. If we want a truly fair system that rewards survival of the fittest, then lets say no one can inherit more than x amount of money through their family. Let's make that something like 50x the threshold of a 1%er income, or ~$150 million. So no one can inherit more than that. The excess doesn't get taxed or go to the government in anyway. It would go to lots of publicly traded corporations that function as schools(vocational schools, colleges, etc) that are free to all. Now poke holes in this idea.

I like the idea of privatzing schools. I don't like the idea of redistributing personal wealth to corporations which is really just redistributing wealth to shareholders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com