• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

She revealed she is actually a man, well, used to be a man, on Monday, two days after knocking a female opponent out with a knee to the chin 39 seconds into an MMA fight.

http://espn.go.com/m...iew-mma-license

Florida State Boxing Commission officials are reviewing the mixed martial arts license of Championship Fighting Alliance women's featherweight tournament participant Fallon Fox after learning she is a transgender female.

Fox revealed her original gender to SI.com on Monday, two days after Fox landed a knee to the chin of Ericka Newsome, who was knocked out in 39 seconds of their quarterfinal bout in Coral Gables, Fla.

It is believed that Fox is the first transgender male or female to participate in an MMA event.
Neither FSBC officials nor CFA founder and CEO Jorge De La Noval was aware that Fallon was a trangender female. On the application she submitted March 1 for a Florida fighting license, Fallon listed her gender as female.

She claimed to be licensed in California, but her application is still being reviewed by that state's athletic commission.

During its rules workshops next week, FSBC officials plan to address how to proceed with applications submitted by transgender fighters.

"There is nothing on her application for a license that indicates anything of that nature," FSBC spokeswoman Sandi Copes Poreda told ESPN.com Wednesday. "We are currently investigating some allegations related to the information provided on the application.

"The commission is in the process of updating its rules for professional MMA events, and this particular topic will be part of our workshops on March 15. We'll have additional information about the rules workshops after it's completed."

In the meantime, De La Noval is standing fully behind Fallon, though he did not learn of her transgender status until after Saturday night's fight. He has no intention of removing her from the tournament.

"She [currently] has a license by the Florida State Boxing Commission as a female; she's going to stay in the tournament," De La Noval told ESPN.com. "She's a female fighter to us. And we're standing behind her when it comes to that.

"We're not going to kick her out of the tournament. She's going to continue fighting for CFA.
"It wouldn't be fair to cut her out of the tournament now. There's a lot of money on the line for her that she needs. She's a great fighter."

De La Noval said that Fallon was scheduled to return to action April 20, but with all of the controversy surrounding her competitive license in Florida, the bout has been postponed.

There is a discrepancy over how many MMA fights the 5-foot-6, 37-year-old Fallon has had. De La Noval said it is his understanding that Fallon has fought three times professionally, though he's heard she has competed in as many as five fights.

Despite the number of bouts Fallon has under her belt, De La Noval is convinced she is a high-caliber mixed martial artist.

"We want to give her a couple of weeks to get that license cleared," De La Noval said. "She's obviously a fighter. There's no doubt in anybody's mind that she is a fighter.
"But is she going to get a female license? That's what the whole debate is about now."

According to another article I read about the situation, she apparently began the transformation 10 years ago.

#2 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

#3 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Article left out some key information, namely if she's undergone HRT, SRS, or a combination. If she's had hormone replacement therapy, her physiology will change to the point that she loses any trace of male strength and muscle mass. If she hasn't, it's completely unfair for her to be in the division.

In Thailand where it's more common, they have whole transgender divisions in muay thai.

#4 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Looked into it and like OP pointed out, she's been in HRT for 10 years. The Olympics only require 2 years. She'll get licensed, easy.

#5 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

She just got her ass kicked. By a girl. So much for that unfair advantage.

Ashlee+Evans-Smith+vs.+Fallon+Fox+CFA+9.

#6 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

nobody here cared about this story obviously but it was constant national news for a while on MMA sites and everyone of course had an opinion. Just interesting that she got absolutely massacred by a girl after tons of people saying it was unfair because she was born a male.

#7 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

neither SRS, or HRT change bone density. Muscle mass has little to do with knockout power.  I'm not a doctor and I don't have an opinion either way about the story but if I had to choose I would lean towards the unfair practices part. Unlike in the Olympics, MMA is about delivering blows.

#8 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

All for gay rights, transgender rights, etc but this is a fine line to walk. She was still born with the physical structure of a man.

Do you think it would be fair for a f-m transgender to fight against men? Pretty sure he would get his ass absolutely pummeled.

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Ridiculous

#10 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,759 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

i really don't have an informed opinion on this because it's tricky subject.  Does remind me of this story i saw on tv about a little girl who was born a boy and the league officials banned her from competing with her soccer team. The parents fought it and got it overturned but she had to stay out for over 2 years.

#11 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have a very sexist (?) opinion when it comes to transgender. It's one of the few lifestyles I can't come to grips with.

#12 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I have a very sexist (?) opinion when it comes to transgender. It's one of the few lifestyles I can't come to grips with.

in what way?

i feel like i honestly know way too little about it to offer an opinion that isn't probably steeped in ignorance.

#13 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

in what way?

i feel like i honestly know way too little about it to offer an opinion that isn't probably steeped in ignorance.

I think it's a mental disorder

But I was a raging homophobe for years and I learned better, so maybe my opinion will change

#14 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

I don't like it being lumped in with LGB because it's an entirely different thing with entirely different perspectives, implications, histories, etc.

All I know is that for all the complaining that it would be unfair, Fallon Fox got her ass kicked by a girl, and it wasn't even close.

#15 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,759 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

I think it's a mental disorder

But I was a raging homophobe for years and I learned better, so maybe my opinion will change

it's not a mental disorder. check out the video i posted about that girl.

I don't like it being lumped in with LGB because it's an entirely different thing with entirely different perspectives, implications, histories, etc.

All I know is that for all the complaining that it would be unfair, Fallon Fox got her ass kicked by a girl, and it wasn't even close.

i think it follows along the same lines as lesbian, gay and bi because It's something you are born with and it's not a choice. even though i get what you are saying about perepectives, implications and histories. but at the very basic level it seems similar. And a lot of times transgenders are gay or bi as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.