28 replies to this topic

#16 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,056 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

But I was a raging homophobe for years and I learned better, so maybe my opinion will change

yeah same. that's the problem, in spite of having changed views on a ton of things over the years, i haven't really done my homework on the social issues that surround transgendered individuals, so i'm worried a lot of my understanding is still stuck back in the stone-age paradigms i used to hold, and i'm hesitant to ever speak on them until i know more.

i'm willing to listen to anyone with a case to make about it either way

#17 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,539 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

FWIW I've been to the "white party" fundraiser thing in charlotte several times to support my g/l peeps, I just have a mental block when it comes to bring born the wrong thing being a natural thing.

#18 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

question. How would any of you feel if you found out that your significant other was born a Man (if you are a man) or was born a Woman (if you are a woman) Sure, if you knew from the start that would allow two people to form a consensual opinion. I am not talking about that. I am talking about if you found out after several years of forming a life with this person, planned children and everything.  That has to be a major betrayal. This is the betrayal that many people are afraid of. That should not affect peoples ability to do what they want to their own sexuality, but it is that fear that will understandably provide a stigma to the whole "transgender" situation.

#19 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

people are actually afraid of that? the fug

#20 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

must... not.... fap to sarina valentina pics

GAAAH

#21 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,056 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

people are actually afraid of that? the fug

hey man you never know these days. when i started dating my wife i couldn't sleep at night until i caught a glimpse of the ol' cooch to make sure there weren't any surprises.

#22 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Want to fix it...remove gender roles from all sports.

There. 

No more divided sports based on gender.

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,024 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

question. How would any of you feel if you found out that your significant other was born a Man (if you are a man) or was born a Woman (if you are a woman) Sure, if you knew from the start that would allow two people to form a consensual opinion. I am not talking about that. I am talking about if you found out after several years of forming a life with this person, planned children and everything.  That has to be a major betrayal. This is the betrayal that many people are afraid of. That should not affect peoples ability to do what they want to their own sexuality, but it is that fear that will understandably provide a stigma to the whole "transgender" situation.

That would be a fundamental trust issue... once you got to know someone as a person, then entered a relationship... if they didn't sit you down and say "OK, look... I wasn't born a man/woman..." then that's a pretty big deal imo.  Not because of what they are, but because they didn't volunteer that information so you would know up front.

I don't see transgendered people as necessarily being all that different than gay/lesbian people, they just have the additional feelings that they're literally the wrong sex.  Like Kurb and Philly I came up being pretty homophobic, but have come to realize who cares... people should live their lives however they see fit.  Someone being gay/lesbian/TG whatever doesn't affect me in any way.

#24 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

That would be a fundamental trust issue... once you got to know someone as a person, then entered a relationship... if they didn't sit you down and say "OK, look... I wasn't born a man/woman..." then that's a pretty big deal imo.  Not because of what they are, but because they didn't volunteer that information so you would know up front.

I don't see transgendered people as necessarily being all that different than gay/lesbian people, they just have the additional feelings that they're literally the wrong sex.  Like Kurb and Philly I came up being pretty homophobic, but have come to realize who cares... people should live their lives however they see fit.  Someone being gay/lesbian/TG whatever doesn't affect me in any way.

I have never been particularly homophobic, but I don't really trust anybody. I don't feel that people that change their gender are good or bad or anything. But the idea of living your life as something other than what people think you are has an element of untrustworthiness that gives me pause. But I do still believe people should be free to do what they want.

#25 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Want to fix it...remove gender roles from all sports.

There.

No more divided sports based on gender.

Looks like they fixed the problem already without doing that. Thank you for your contribution though.

#26 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Looks like they fixed the problem already without doing that. Thank you for your contribution though.

This is going to be ongoing...so the kid can't play for 2 years.  Why 2 years?  Is that the global consensus on how long the hormones will require to have peak efficacy? 

How do sports deal with this re: hormonal treatments/doping accusations.  Little different male to female vs female to male. 

#27 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,520 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Not only does it create a trust issue, but it also brings into question one's own sexuality. Not only have you now discovered, one way or another, that your partner used to be a male (using this example as I'm a heterosexual male), but now there's a giant question lurking in your own mind whether or not this in some way means you have homosexual tendencies based upon the fact you're in a relationship with an anatomically defined male.

So while you and your partner are trying to come to rips with the relationship and the inherent trust that's supposed to be part of that, you are also now questioning your own sexuality based upon the revelation of your partner.

#28 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,950 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

This is going to be ongoing...so the kid can't play for 2 years.  Why 2 years?  Is that the global consensus on how long the hormones will require to have peak efficacy? 

How do sports deal with this re: hormonal treatments/doping accusations.  Little different male to female vs female to male. 

in the case of jazz they will repress puberty through a medical procedure and start her on estrogen whenever it is appropriate.

a lot of transgendered people are not as lucky as jazz because they don't have a family who accept it and are financially able to do this so they have to go through puberty and have millions of other procedures afterwards if they can afford it.

it's a tough situation though and must suck to have to go through. having empathy for people in tough situations usually gives things a better outcome overall, but i doubt you know what that is all about.

#29 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

On topic: I say she can fight in the women's league. She probably has less testosterone than some of the other female fighters. (Heck aren't most male MMA fighters take extra 'T', so I wouldn't be surprised if the females were taking it during training as well)

slightly on topic: I find this episode of the I.T. Crowd hilarious. I still laugh out loud when I watch it.

14uz692.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com