Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how good can Greg Hardy be?

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jtm' timestamp='1362687168' post='2153937']
Lets settle down a bit, Hardy has had one year and several bad years. Plus, he wants to box people and drive 100 mph. I think he has potential, but lets have some consistency first before we crown him.
[/quote]

Several bad years?!?!? So a rookie year behind Brayton and on the worst team in the NFL, still managed 3 sacks and didn't start. His second year, he had 4 sacks and 11 pass deflections and was a starter. This year he put on strenght and had 11 sacks....please list the "several years" he was "bad"? The kid is 24 years old.

Posted · Report post

Hardy's has developed into a versatile DLman. If he can maintain his growth, his level of play is limitless. His ability to play inside as well is enormous. And not just on passing downs. Hopefully Gettlemen will be able to keep this kid around.

Alexander is looking like he has the talent to also play inside as well. Teamed with Hardy and CJ these three are as good as any trio in the league. Add another talented DLman this year, and we very well could be one of the top groups in the league for years to come.

Hardy's and Alexander's ability to slide inside is a major reason I could see us taking a DE int he draft. A pass rushing end would give us one formtable front four. Hellz, I would even take an OLB that can rush the passer. Although that would have to be after the second round.

With our inexperienced secondary, having a good pass rush is extremely important. At least in my minds eye anywho. We are pretty darn good now. Add a good DE, and we are very good.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='beastson' timestamp='1362688218' post='2153960']

Several bad years? Last year was his 3rd season. He literally followed in C.J exact steps
[/quote]

Using the word "bad years" was not the best term - I'll amend to say 2 average years and 1 good year. My reaction was based on the first couple posts that made comparisons to Peppers and said losing Hardy would be "one of the biggest mistakes ever."

I like Hardy and think he has a ton of potential, but I'm not ready to give him the keys to the city after one good year; we did this fir CJ and overpaid.

I get the Peppers hate, but the constant comparisons to Peppers are off base. As a reminder, Peppers had 12 sacks his rookie year. Time has a way of letting us forget just how dominant Peppers was.

Posted · Report post

I'm sure he'll have at-least 25 sacks since it's contract year.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='GambrinousPanther' timestamp='1362696830' post='2154120']
I'm sure he'll have at-least 25 sacks since it's contract year.
[/quote]

Lets hope, but he likely get a lot more attention this year and double teams.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jtm' timestamp='1362697275' post='2154128']
Lets hope, but he likely get a lot more attention this year and double teams.
[/quote]
They can't double team him and CJ

Posted · Report post

[quote name='GambrinousPanther' timestamp='1362697424' post='2154130']
They can't double team him and CJ
[/quote]Imagine if we got a stud DT in the middle. Not enough blockers in the world.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hardy appears to be solid example of how the overall general fanbase responds to athletes from a distance.... Compare opinions of Alexander after one "average" year to those of Hardy after 3 incredibly solid years of improvement...
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

He has everything needed to be great physically. I am not sold on his mental acuity.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='csx' timestamp='1362704877' post='2154256']
He has everything needed to be great physically. I am not sold on his mental acuity.
[/quote]

Fans can insult Rivera (rightfully so on several qualities as a head coach) but he molds players like Greg Hardy with discipline and makes them reach their full potential. Ron deserves credit for taking Hardy and transforming him into The Kraken.

If Rivera can take The Panthers to the playoffs, we could see Hardy, Alexander, Kuechly, etc get even better than expected with him overseeing the defense.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bleys' timestamp='1362704717' post='2154254']
Hardy appears to be solid example of how the overall general fanbase responds to athletes from a distance.... Compare opinions of Alexander after one "average" year to those of Hardy after 3 incredibly solid years of improvement...
[/quote]
Everything about Hardy is a testament to fans knowing diddly squat about players and their futures.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Leeroy Jenkins PhD' timestamp='1362677633' post='2153774']
Man, I am happy everyone, including myself was wrong. The kid is a beast and has the heart/desire/motivation to be a great player.
[/quote]

Not everyone, there was a number of us who saw it in him from the start :)