51 replies to this topic

#16 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

i don't think DC is even in the top 5 in population density...

unless you're counting it as a state...

Not sure I follow... I think as an "area" it is more dense than anywhere in the country... This also begs the question of if it was included in the study, since (again, last I heard) it was one of the most violent places in the country but not a "state"...

#17 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

they don't worship violence.

What do you mean by "worship violence"? Because we can start with several martial arts closely tied to (if not based in) religion, & end in a video game phenomenon in which the goal is to enslave innocent creatures & force them to fight... somewhere in the middle there is tentacle rape.

#18 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

they don't worship violence.

This is a great point.

Personally, I think American culture desensitizes people to a point where they disregard the consequences of their actions in a lot of troublesome situations.

Couple that with the social inequality that pushes people toward crime, and you have a recipe for higher rates of unsavory things.

#19 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

personally I think the north American culture is to not give two shits about your neighbor and just take care of yourself...and if that includes killing your neighbor, then so be it!

#20 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

personally I think the north American culture is to not give two shits about your neighbor and just take care of yourself...

I concur....look at how madhatter just came in here and called me an idiot.

he is what is wrong with america.

#21 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

What do you mean by "worship violence"? Because we can start with several martial arts closely tied to (if not based in) religion, & end in a video game phenomenon in which the goal is to enslave innocent creatures & force them to fight... somewhere in the middle there is tentacle rape.

eastern martial arts are first and foremost based in discipline, and tempered with spirituality.

Culturally, violence is our preferred way of problem solving, and is almost synonymous with our concept of masculinity. That, i think is the crux of the problem. When you combine this misinterpretation of masculinity with narcissism disguised as individuality and a general lack of respect for the people you live around (both personal and institutional,) and then add guns... well... there you go. That's not to say that it doesn't exist in other places, it certainly does... but Americans love the idea that they're tough, don't give a f*ck and will fight over anything. The fact that this has never been less true than it is now only makes it more insidious. We bought into our own myth, and it's f*cking us up.

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Not sure I follow... I think as an "area" it is more dense than anywhere in the country... This also begs the question of if it was included in the study, since (again, last I heard) it was one of the most violent places in the country but not a "state"...

NYC and los angeles are both more dense than DC... I know that off the top of my head... I would think Miami and Boston are as well but I don't know. I can't speak to the violence, other than that I know that DC has some very bad areas.

#23 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,694 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

just to throw it out there, the republic of kiribati has no guns on the islands outside of what's carried by a very small military; police only carry batons, and they have one of the highest population densities in the world.

there is currently one guy in jail for murder.

#24 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

American tourist?!!!!! I kid, I kid

#25 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

eastern martial arts are first and foremost based in discipline, and tempered with spirituality.

Culturally, violence is our preferred way of problem solving, and is almost synonymous with our concept of masculinity. That, i think is the crux of the problem. When you combine this misinterpretation of masculinity with narcissism disguised as individuality and a general lack of respect for the people you live around (both personal and institutional,) and then add guns... well... there you go. That's not to say that it doesn't exist in other places, it certainly does... but Americans love the idea that they're tough, don't give a f*ck and will fight over anything. The fact that this has never been less true than it is now only makes it more insidious. We bought into our own myth, and it's f*cking us up.

Ah I see. I tend to attribute that attitude more toward immaturity (the slightest insult is worth fighting over) than worshipping violence but fair cop.

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

People all over the world play video games and watch movies somewhere near the same rate as we do (some a little more, some a little less).

What they don't have is the same easy access to massive amounts of guns and ammo we do.

It's insanely simple.

#27 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,913 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

I wish someone could rectify the pro gun argument that the US has a disproportionate amount of mentally unhealthy people, with a desensitization to violence; therefore the only responsible thing to do is give this mentally unhealthy and desensitized society more guns and easier access to guns.

#28 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,000 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

blame somebody else. blame something else. blame the past.blame this. blame that. yeah its the new America.

#29 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

If I got shot I would pry blame the person that shot me.

#30 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

It would be the gun's fault

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com