• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

just to throw it out there, the republic of kiribati has no guns on the islands outside of what's carried by a very small military; police only carry batons, and they have one of the highest population densities in the world.

there is currently one guy in jail for murder.

350 per square mile?

Just for comparison sake... New Jersey's population density is 1189 per square mile

And that one guy must've been pretty busy, as the nation averages 7 homicides per year.
http://www.gunpolicy...region/kiribati

#42 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

350 per square mile?

Just for comparison sake... New Jersey's population density is 1189 per square mile

And that one guy must've been pretty busy, as the nation averages 7 homicides per year.
http://www.gunpolicy...region/kiribati

nice work. i was lazy and inarticulate.

the population density is specifically for the main island of tarawa, rather than the insular spread of islands that make up the kiribati diaspora... some of those far-flung islands are sparsely inhabited (or uninhabited) and really skew the numbers. anywhere in betio or bairiki or the ouskirts of it (or really anywhere between the docks at betio and the north end of the atoll) is obscenely dense.

i stayed in this bwia-bwia (stilted hut) with two other guys and it was a pretty high standard of living. just out of sight of this photo are two more of these about the same size that fit families of six and seven people, all immediately adjacent to one another.

Posted Image

re: the murder statistics, one of the guys in the neighboring bwia-bwia was a ranking official in the atoll's police force and he was a great source of information (though his english was pretty limited.) the guy in jail was there for stomping on a guy's neck in a bar fight and killing him... dude was a phenomenal tattoo artist (the convict) and actually did some work on my brother-in-law from inside the cell.

anyway i don't have anything to refute your statistics as mine were based on what's proved to be faulty anecdotal evidence, so i'll gladly concede the point. it is still interesting to note, regardless, an incredibly low murder-per-capita rate.

#43 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I was replying before you added the last bit... but...

There is a reason that most places have waiting periods and background checks (IF the people purchase legally) for handguns. This is to curb any potential situation that leads to malicious desire to purchase said firearm.

Obviously, people who still harbor feelings strong enough to shoot themselves after that period is up, or after even 6 years, are too far gone to be saved.

I dont claim to be an expert on suicides but in my profession there are a lot of studies on suicide and the causes/prevention of. We are taught that generally those that have suicidal thoughts are as a rule not in any way mentally different than those that are not. Basically meaning they are not crazy. Everyone experiences stress in life and we all have a breaking point. We all will respond differently to that breaking point. Some may never experience a situation that gets them to their individual breaking point. All that falls under the cause portion.

As far as prevention it is proven on numerous occasions that suicidal ideations tend to be temporary and if you remove the opportunity to actually commit the act, any suicidal person can be helped and made unsuicidal. Now this is hard to test if you believe that the only real suicidal people are the ones that succeed in killing themselves.

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

This makes too much sense!

#45 AR-15 Panther

AR-15 Panther

Cough "Here" Cough

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Freedom is for suckers, strip our rights and make us safe. Suicide is so much worse than democide.

Fear, the downfall of the USA.....

#46 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

^ ugh

#47 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationnorth carolina
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

We can't have people out there committing unregulated deaths. Ban guns so people can die the way nature intended. By a government regulated death panel.

#48 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

It sucks stumbling on a Sarah Palin fan this early in the morning. It's worse than mucus

#49 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationnorth carolina
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

worse being followed by a moron

#50 AR-15 Panther

AR-15 Panther

Cough "Here" Cough

• PipPipPipPip