Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hawk

North Korea

186 posts in this topic

That being said, unless we have Bush II in charge, we will not be making crap up in order to invade it.

Damned right, this isn't Afghanistan.

So I take it you will not be arming the Muslim North Korean resistance Ronnie?

I think like others have said, we'll see a NK revolt from the inside first. Their citizens probably don't even understand that aid was coming from the US, just that we were an evil power that wants to take them over. When food runs out, they'll take matters in their own hands. If they were only educated/aware of how successful SK has become (and some might) they would welcome unification.

I wouldn't mind seeing a co-op with China on taking down this regime and rebuilding the country/unification with SK. I think it would benefit everyone involved. China is a business now, and NK is bad for business.

I just don't know how many threats we can listen to before action is taken. In a way, if we're going to take action, I'd rather us strike first to limit casualities in SK/Japan.

Now there's a reasonable assessment.

North Korea is a lot like Iraq was - a giant army with terrible logistics, and outdated technology. The only difference is that unlike Iraq, a goodly portion of the population might actually consider us as liberators, and China would most certainly step in with humanitarian aid in order to try and get as much China friendly attitudes on their side as possible.

North Korea is a much more closed society than Iraq was. Iraqis did interact to a great extent with the countries around them, whereas NK citizens haven't ever been able to do that. Many Iraqis did welcome us in the early days of the invasion, but I doubt that happens with North Korea. They are far more likely to fear us at first than Iraq was.

But unless North Korea strikes first, we aren't going to invade though no matter who is president, so its a moot point.

at the same time, it's interesting timing that the US is doing B52 runs and dropping dummy munitions in SK. Show of power...or an act to provoke the NK?!

B2's actually I think. B52s originally scheduled, but the B2's either supplanted or augmented them.

Just letting them know that we can reach out and touch them if they decide to attack. Fwiw, these exercises (Foal Eagle) are held every year and every year the NK complain and bitch and make threats.

at the same time, it's interesting timing that the US is doing B52 runs and dropping dummy munitions in SK. Show of power...or an act to provoke the NK?!

Everytime we have a major joint exercise with SK, NK tends to go a little batty. Normally they calm down after.

North Korea is a much more closed society than Iraq was. Iraqis did interact to a great extent with the countries around them, whereas NK citizens haven't ever been able to do that. Many Iraqis did welcome us in the early days of the invasion, but I doubt that happens with North Korea. They are far more likely to fear us at first than Iraq was.

But unless North Korea strikes first, we aren't going to invade though no matter who is president, so its a moot point.

I admit that I am going out on a bit of a limb here. The main difference from Iraq, now that I think about it, is that NK, like Japan for example, is a single culture that responds to central control positively. Iraq is a country made up by the West and included 3 main disparate religions that don't get along all that well, along with all kinds of clan issues. An invasion would be followed by a provisional government that would be able to quickly regain control, providing aid from foreign powers, with none of the terrible interregional issues Iraq had.

Just got this in my In Box: post-36-0-79012800-1364695904_thumb.jpg

I don't think China will mind what we do with NK.

NK has to be an annoyance at this point.

http://freebeacon.com/border-patrol/

Who knows?